Does anyone use liquid thread lock on their propellers?

Reaction score
Hi guys, just want to know if anyone uses liquid thread lock on their propellers? I have a fear of the props flying off, is it ok to use, would it make a difference or does someone use something else? Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would never use thread lock on the props. Tighten them like DJI says and they will never come loose. I check mine before every flight, and have not had a loose one yet.

Reactions: peterepeat69
I would never use thread lock on the props. Tighten them like DJI says and they will never come loose. I check mine before every flight, and have not had a loose one yet.

Yes, aok Just so many stories of them coming off made me ask

Don't use thread locking liquids but avoid sudden braking. You can also soften the braking by adjusting parameter on controller.

Remember P3 is a toy for your fun, you got to enjoy it. Don't buy it to keep it in showcase or museum.

You can use thread lock but why would you need to?

Hold the motor and twist just a bit and the props will hold.
Using thread lock can result in really applying a great deal of torque to break the seal which may damage the motor.
The given nature of the direction of threading the prop will help keep the prop in place.

As others have stated, the commonly used thread lock, i.e. Loctite 242, can seriously damage plastic components. Don't know how it would effect the composite material props are made from and I don't plan to find out.
As a point of information however, there are thread locking compounds made for plastic applications. Loctite 425 is an example. Ain't cheap though.

As others have stated, the commonly used thread lock, i.e. Loctite 242, can seriously damage plastic components. Don't know how it would effect the composite material props are made from and I don't plan to find out.
As a point of information however, there are thread locking compounds made for plastic applications. Loctite 425 is an example. Ain't cheap though.

So I gather you have never had a prop fly off?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I gather you have never had a prop fly off?

Not yet..............o_O
And I didn't mean to infer that I used the Loctite 425 on my props either. I just snug them up as recommended and (so far) it has worked just fine.

Last edited:
Yes, aok Just so many stories of them coming off made me ask
DJI propulsion engineers are pretty smart.
They came up with nylon threads to make the props sticky on the motors and deal with dynamic braking.
Slapping some chemical from the hardware shop on the threads is not going to improve things but could well cause serious problems.

Forget silly scare stories you read on the internet and what your imagination tells you.
There are over half a million P3s flying and how many have you heard of losing props?

DJI propulsion engineers are pretty smart.
They came up with nylon threads to make the props sticky on the motors and deal with dynamic braking.
Slapping some chemical from the hardware shop on the threads is not going to improve things but could well cause serious problems.

Forget silly scare stories you read on the internet and what your imagination tells you.
There are over half a million P3s flying and how many have you heard of losing props?

Actually I've read quite a few stories about props coming off, and if the p4 has changed its design for attaching props well dji have kind of confirmed that the p3 series is a bit of a mistake. Hence the question on thread locks.

You can use thread lock but why would you need to?

As stated previously.. do NOT use thread lock on your props or ANYTHING that isn't metal to metal that is even remotely close to anything NONmetal. Certain plastics breakdown and become weak from a reaction in the thread lock compound. I don't know if DJI products have had as much a problem but I know for sure of many MANY crashes resulting from Thread Lock props self destructing in flight on BLADE branded products.

Hi guys, just want to know if anyone uses liquid thread lock on their propellers? I have a fear of the props flying off, is it ok to use, would it make a difference or does someone use something else? Cheers in advance

as others said, bad idea - most anerobic cure thread lockers will eat the plastic and cause a failure. + it aint necessary if you tighten them prior to takeoff

Actually I've read quite a few stories about props coming off, and if the p4 has changed its design for attaching props well dji have kind of confirmed that the p3 series is a bit of a mistake. Hence the question on thread locks.

That's faulty logic! A design change doesn't automatically mean that there was something wrong with the previous method - just that there was a way to improve on some aspect of it (such as convenience) or sometimes changes are just made for aesthetic value. In the case of the P4 vs the P3 - I think the change was just made to be easier for the pilot to pop them on and off - not because it's inherently more secure.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you only hand tighten the props you might have one come off during the air-brake process. If you tighten by hand and then use prop tool to snug tighten the prop, you will likely never have any problems.

It is also good to go into the advanced expo settings and adjust out of some of the air-brake's current setup. By doing this the a/c will not stop instantly which is the #1 cause for most prop spin-offs. You will be softening the stopping reaction slightly which will allow the a/c to travel 5-10ft further before coming to a complete stop.

Think of it this way..... When functioning with default settings, when you release the r/c stick to it's neutral position the motors stop spinning, completely. Adjusting the setting will set the motor to gradually stop from spinning, instead of instantly. Also... if you are coming from a P2V+ or some other a/c, you may be in the habit of "Reverse flight flying". This is where you use reverse to slow down faster if the a/c is not good at stopping. And of course this will spin those props off all day long on the P3. If your expo setting is say 100 on this setting, lowering it to 95 or 90 should help a lot.

Think of it this way..... When functioning with default settings, when you release the r/c stick to it's neutral position the motors stop spinning, completely.
What are you talking about Frank?
If you initiate CSC, the motors stop spinning.
When you release the r/c stick to it's neutral position, the motors keep spinning and your Phantom hovers in place.

Dynamic braking doesn't stop your props or spin them in reverse.
It just slows them faster than the old let-them-wind-down-gradually system did.

Quite a few stories about props coming off?
"Quite a few" is almost nothing. I read way too many threads on forums and props coming off is very rare.
It's rare because the design is very good.

New flyers with anxious tendencies can easily be unnecessarily scared by focusing on a few rare incidents and imagining they are commonplace.
For instance, the common misconception that Phantoms are likely to fly away even though the truth is that flyaways are exceptionally rare.
Here's a well written article that puts the fear of flyaway in perspective.
Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers
Your fears of props coming off are similarly out of proportion with the actual situation.
Applying a home remedy to solve a non-problem is likely to cause worse problems.

What are you talking about Frank?
If you initiate CSC, the motors stop spinning.
When you release the r/c stick to it's neutral position, the motors keep spinning and your Phantom hovers in place.

The bold text says to think of it this way. It's an abrupt example, not the real thing. Btw, the propulsion system on the P3 reacts differently then older setups. It's main function is to maintain altitude.

Yes. Use Loctite. And expect:
- your props will be on really tight.
- they will be very hard to get off.
- your threads will become damaged.
- your props will fly off.
Nuff said

Reactions: Zone 5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads