Does anyone sell a "yaw mod" kit?

The Editor said:
Although I cannot see the point in this mod as there is no substitute for putting in stick hours and gaining the skills that will allow for a delicate yaw/turn should anybody go down this route and fit this mod do not forget to turn off Receiver Advanced Protection.

Failure to do this could and probably will result in a forced RTH being triggered.
Some people, especially mature folk, do not have the fine motor control for slow and smooth yaw. All the practice in the world won't compensate for lack of fine motor skill.

dptcalvin said:
The Editor said:
Although I cannot see the point in this mod as there is no substitute for putting in stick hours and gaining the skills that will allow for a delicate yaw/turn should anybody go down this route and fit this mod do not forget to turn off Receiver Advanced Protection.

Failure to do this could and probably will result in a forced RTH being triggered.
Some people, especially mature folk, do not have the fine motor control for slow and smooth yaw. All the practice in the world won't compensate for lack of fine motor skill.

Fair point... in that case see my second point above and make sure RAP is turned off or people will be cursing and wondering why their Phantom's are initiating RTH

The Editor said:
Fair point... in that case see my second point above and make sure RAP is turned off or people will be cursing and wondering why their Phantom's are initiating RTH

IS RAP a vision feature? I've been flying with this mod with my Non-Vision phantom 2 with no problems.

I thought it was for NAZA. Don't move the sticks for 20 seconds and the Naza will think that it has effectively lost Tx signal. It will then enter fail-safe mode and RTH.

It IS a Naza feature but don't forget the Phantoms are all based on the Naza !

By default I would guess it is turned off but if it is enabled with this feature then yes, the FC will 'think' there has been no stick input change for 20 seconds (assuming you use this yaw mod for that period of time) and will assume that is an abnormal condition and therefore initiate RTH.

terrylowe said:
There is SOME current hitting the controller when in modified Yaw mode. I will test it and let you know.

I think you mean voltage but in any case it would be a data stream through the S-Bus however it is not this that is the problem it is the fact that the firmware in the FC is not seeing A CHANGE and therefore thinks that it has lost it's link from the receiver or there is an abnormal condition. It's this non change in signal that is the problem.
By using this mod (and having RAP enabled) there will be no change in the theoretical stick positions for a given amount of time. If this time > the threshold set in firmware (20 seconds) then RTH will trigger.

dptcalvin said:
I thought it was for NAZA. Don't move the sticks for 20 seconds and the Naza will think that it has effectively lost Tx signal. It will then enter fail-safe mode and RTH.

So how does that work if you are just in a hands off hover then ?

Hughie said:
dptcalvin said:

Because the FC constantly monitors the A,E and R channels and applies the logic if the criteria are met AND the sticks are not at the neutral position.

The Editor said:
Hughie said:
dptcalvin said:

Because the FC constantly monitors the A,E and R channels and applies the logic if the criteria are met AND the sticks are not at the neutral position.
I see, thanks.

Mick Emmett said:
OK, you got me on this one. Is there an imbalance in the yaw? I've not been flying long with the Phantom but I can't say I've noticed that it yaws more to one side than the other; or am I completely misunderstanding this post?
Not in the stock Phantom, but when you buy inexpensive dual-ganged linear potentiometers to do the variable yaw rate you run into a tolerance issue. In the parts I bought for my prototype the resistance of the two ganged pots is never the same. One measures a bit over 10K and the other about 9.5K - well within the tolerance of the low-cost pots, but this difference is why the yaw mod without the trim pots will exhibit different yaw rates (left may be faster than right) at slow settings. The trim pots are used to remove that difference.

The Editor said:
terrylowe said:
There is SOME current hitting the controller when in modified Yaw mode. I will test it and let you know.

I think you mean voltage but in any case it would be a data stream through the S-Bus however it is not this that is the problem it is the fact that the firmware in the FC is not seeing A CHANGE and therefore thinks that it has lost it's link from the receiver or there is an abnormal condition. It's this non change in signal that is the problem.
By using this mod (and having RAP enabled) there will be no change in the theoretical stick positions for a given amount of time. If this time > the threshold set in firmware (20 seconds) then RTH will trigger.

+1 Thanks.

SteveMann said:
Mick Emmett said:
OK, you got me on this one. Is there an imbalance in the yaw? I've not been flying long with the Phantom but I can't say I've noticed that it yaws more to one side than the other; or am I completely misunderstanding this post?
Not in the stock Phantom, but when you buy inexpensive dual-ganged linear potentiometers to do the variable yaw rate you run into a tolerance issue. In the parts I bought for my prototype the resistance of the two ganged pots is never the same. One measures a bit over 10K and the other about 9.5K - well within the tolerance of the low-cost pots, but this difference is why the yaw mod without the trim pots will exhibit different yaw rates (left may be faster than right) at slow settings. The trim pots are used to remove that difference.
How many kits do you have to buy for the cost to go down? Seems like there are a decent number of people willing to buy at the price you've stated already. Including me. :)

theres no change on the stick when useing a reduced speed yaw mod unless you are actually moving the stick even when its switched on and your not touching the stick its still recognized by the naza that its centered. and when its turned on it just changes the value of the sticks input so its like you only have to stick moved a tiny bit when its pushed even all the way to the left or right. when you let go of the stick it goes back to center both physically and in the values seen in the naza. The only issue there is from having the reduced speed circuit on you cant calibrate your sticks or start your motors unless the switch is off or the knob is turned all the way down. Because when its on full sticks to the side will not register as being all the way to the side when you move the left stick down and to the left.

dptcalvin said:

I do wonder if this is turned off. One thing I do often is throttle up to about 50 m and then fly forward flat out for a few hundred metres with just the right stick held forward. At say 15m/s if this feature is enabled I should not be able to fly further than 300m before triggering the 20s threshold. I have never triggered it. Am I misunderstanding something ?.

J.James said:

theres no change on the stick when useing a reduced speed yaw mod unless you are actually moving the stick even when its switched on and your not touching the stick its still recognized by the naza that its centered. and when its turned on it just changes the value of the sticks input so its like you only have to stick moved a tiny bit when its pushed even all the way to the left or right. when you let go of the stick it goes back to center both physically and in the values seen in the naza. The only issue there is from having the reduced speed circuit on you cant calibrate your sticks or start your motors unless the switch is off or the knob is turned all the way down. Because when its on full sticks to the side will not register as being all the way to the side when you move the left stick down and to the left.

Guys - apologies. I have just re-read this thread and the mod does not input a given amount of yaw (like sub-trim) as I assumed but rather emulate dual rates (and throw) on more sophisticated transmitters. In that case RAP WILL NOT be an issue since sticks will still be deflected and movement on A/E & R will still occur!

I will go to bed now as I have obviously been at the PC far too long !!

Apologies once more :?

Re: Does anyone sell a "yaw mod" kit?

I interested in the kit mod as well. So please take my money... ;-)

Guys - apologies. I have just re-read this thread and the mod does not input a given amount of yaw (like sub-trim) as I assumed but rather emulate dual rates (and throw) on more sophisticated transmitters. In that case RAP WILL NOT be an issue since sticks will still be deflected and movement on A/E & R will still occur!

I will go to bed now as I have obviously been at the PC far too long !!

Apologies once more :?

Ahhhh I was wondering if you were maybe picturing it being like a trim setting were it was imputing a certain rate which if so I could see how that could cause the naza to think hey this is not coming from the radio being a humans hands cant ever keep a stick so steady for 20 seconds that its not going to change the sticks value at all the whole time.

Also interested in an update, Steve! Even with more stick time, I can't get a slow, steady, smooth pan. And I'm too much of a wuss and noob to DIY. I can plug and play with no problems, though. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl