Does anyone sell a "yaw mod" kit?

Reaction score
I'd like to do this mod, but I don't want to buy a bulk yellow and black wire for just for this. I have solder and a soldering iron already. Just need the wire, resistors, and switch. Seems like someone could easily make this a "kit" and sell it. Does anyone know of a kit like this?

I really doubt there is one. This mod is so simple to do and (my guess) 95% of RC people have most of the parts in their "junk box" it may not be practical to create such a kit.

dptcalvin said:
I'd like to do this mod, but I don't want to buy a bulk yellow and black wire for just for this. I have solder and a soldering iron already. Just need the wire, resistors, and switch. Seems like someone could easily make this a "kit" and sell it. Does anyone know of a kit like this?

Our local RadioShack had the switch and resistors. They had a 5-pack of resistors. I took my voltmeter into the store and tested resistors while they were still in the cardboard pack and bought the pack that had two resistors that matched up. There was a wide variation in resistors in the same pack.

I was going to wait until I have some demo video and test flights, but I have designed a PCB and located the parts to make a plug-in yaw mod. No soldering or hunting for parts. Just drill holes for the pot and the optional bypass switch. (Optional subject to testing)

Here's a couple of photos of the prototype. You would simply unplug the left joystick from the R/C PCB and plug this board in, then the joystick plugs into this board. You then plug in the bypass switch and the yaw rate pot. The trim pots are there to eliminate the left-right imbalance introduced by the low tolerance of the dual-ganged pot. The other jumpers are there for prototyping an ascend/descend switch.

Prototype-Assembled-640x554.jpg

Prototype-640x358.jpg

The prototype as shown has a parts cost of $35, but in quantity it would go down. At this price, who is interested?

Happyflyer said:
I really doubt there is one. This mod is so simple to do and (my guess) 95% of RC people have most of the parts in their "junk box" it may not be practical to create such a kit.
Welp, I don't have these parts. So I'm asking.

SteveMann said:
I was going to wait until I have some demo video and test flights, but I have designed a PCB and located the parts to make a plug-in yaw mod. No soldering or hunting for parts. Just drill holes for the pot and the optional bypass switch. (Optional subject to testing)

Here's a couple of photos of the prototype. You would simply unplug the left joystick from the R/C PCB and plug this board in, then the joystick plugs into this board. You then plug in the bypass switch and the yaw rate pot. The trim pots are there to eliminate the left-right imbalance introduced by the low tolerance of the dual-ganged pot. The other jumpers are there for prototyping an ascend/descend switch.

Prototype-Assembled-640x554.jpg

Prototype-640x358.jpg

The prototype as shown has a parts cost of $35, but in quantity it would go down. At this price, who is interested?
Just what I was looking for. I'm interested!

SteveMann said:

Prototype-Assembled-300x554.jpg

Prototype-640x358.jpg

It looks good and easy enough. Like to see the way it affecs the yaw for sure.

Steve - I'll buy your first production unit...Great solution for the new controller, that I'll be buying now.

RichWest said:
Steve - I'll buy your first production unit...Great solution for the new controller, that I'll be buying now.

Then, I guess this has to go to classifieds!

Hey thats a very nice looking well laid out kit. I like how you also used the knob to be able to vary the rate to.

Gosh I will I had this yesterday. I spent 6 hours working on getting pitch speed switch and a yaw speed switch in yesterday. It was a real SOB trying to hold my multimeter on each of the variable resisters and a screw driver to turn the screws to get the resistance perfectly matched on each side. esp when they were not fixed to any kind of a board and just soldered on to the back of my switch.

Your kit would of been much easier and thats coming from some one that usually tends to always do my own stuff.

Mick Emmett said:
OK, you got me on this one. Is there an imbalance in the yaw? I've not been flying long with the Phantom but I can't say I've noticed that it yaws more to one side than the other; or am I completely misunderstanding this post?

To slow down the rate of yaw.

I'm interested in this kit once it is thoroughly tested.

Mick Emmett said:
OK, you got me on this one. Is there an imbalance in the yaw? I've not been flying long with the Phantom but I can't say I've noticed that it yaws more to one side than the other; or am I completely misunderstanding this post?
This has nothing to do with imbalanced yaw. Google "phantom yaw mod" and you will find many posts and videos about DIY mods. Currently, the only way to pan is by yawing left or right, but as it is it's difficult to yaw at a slow AND steady pace. The yaw mod incorporates resistors to slow down the yaw. You can switch it to normal for quick maneuvering or "slow" to get nice, smooth, slow, steady panning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpw_Ar1HZc

Mick Emmett said:

When producing a nice smooth, slow panning shot it is difficult to do with the stock yaw electronics unless you are well practised and have good visual feedback of the rate of yaw. This may not be possible if you are flying without FPV and cannot clearly distinguish orientation.

Yaw mods result is a much slower yaw rate giving much nicer pans. The mods are usually switchable so you can revert to the default yaw rate when you wish. Some mods also allow the actual rate to be set on the fly from the transmitter using a potentiometer.

The easy way is to just lengthen the stick so as to have finer control. This works with some practice, but lengthening the sticks would be problematic for storing my R/C in my case.

Although I cannot see the point in this mod as there is no substitute for putting in stick hours and gaining the skills that will allow for a delicate yaw/turn should anybody go down this route and fit this mod do not forget to turn off Receiver Advanced Protection.

Failure to do this could and probably will result in a forced RTH being triggered.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl