Is anyone involved with making orthoplans?

Tomas, Meta4 thanks for your input! I'll try this tomorrow with my iPad then and report with results.
You're great community, thanks again!

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Today I did a test flight with DroneDeploy, did 80 shots. This is amazing, software and drone worked like a charm! However, uploading and processing takes time, ive tested small amount (10 photos) with low quality and results are beyond my expectations.
Now next step is finding and trying out good offline software (since I have good pc at home, I will be finally available working home :p )

Aye, I've got some trouble which I can't figure out ..
Today I went far from cell stations and internet to make another ortho.
But when I started DroneDeploy I saw a camera inside crossed circle image. Thought it can't load maps due no internet connection. Came home, loaded my mission and saw same icon instead of map! Don't they use google maps for that? How can I fix it? **** Im disappointed :/

But when I started DroneDeploy I saw a camera inside crossed circle image. Thought it can't load maps due no internet connection. Came home, loaded my mission and saw same icon instead of map! Don't they use google maps for that? How can I fix it? **** Im disappointed :/
They do not have the best of map coverage unfortunately, with sometimes low-quality or missing background maps.

This is the main reason I am switching to Dji GS Pro for the capture. You can still use either DroneDeploy or any other service that supports geo-referenced images for the processing.

Reactions: Pachakuti
Anyone using DroneDeploy (and probably most CloudBased service) needs to carefully read the ToS agreement you agree to when using their services. If privacy is an issue you may want to think heavy about it...

""By using the Service, you grant DroneDeploy a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide license to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display, and distribute your User Content.""

Anyone using DroneDeploy (and probably most CloudBased service) needs to carefully read the ToS agreement you agree to when using their services. If privacy is an issue you may want to think heavy about it...

""By using the Service, you grant DroneDeploy a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide license to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display, and distribute your User Content.""
Ouch, thats heavy. Good for me I'm just shooting random places now to come along with system..
Thanks, gonna think of switching to GS PRO aswell..

That's insane. Any client who you confess this too will want nothing to do with app.

You should be able to plan the mission at home and shoot on site.
I haven't seen the no camera icon so I'm not sure what it means.
Another option you can use for areas where their map coverage isn't good, is to create a shp file for the survey area and use that to load the mission.

This DD's policy is unaccpetable. For me, even for personal use. If I shoot my house for example and surrounding terrain, why would I give away this data to anyone? Thats really insane. Heading forward to GS 2 Pro + Agisoft photoscan trying. This Agisoft is not expensive btw and works offline. Just pack yourself with 64 gigs ram :8

I can't imagine why DD would want to be taking your work or that they could benefit from it except to show examples of what can be done.
And they would have so many to choose from, I very much doubt that they would be using many people's work at all.

This is the response I got from DD when I reached out and asked about all the full licensing they were asking for...

"It may help to address your concerns by understanding that the statements in question address different kinds of data.

In the first sentence, our customers are granting us the right to use, copy, process and distribute the images that are taken with your drones. Those images are protected under copyright law and remain our customers’ IP. However, we do need a broad license to those images in order to provide the full functionality of our application. Those rights also need to be sub-licensable, since we rely on certain third party hosting and infrastructure providers in order to power our applications. We do not share your images or the models that we create with any third party other than in connection with providing our application to our customers.

The second sentence deals more with some of the “social” features of our application. Because we allow users of the DroneDeploy application to share content and results with other users, we need our users to not only grant to us the right to that content, but also grant the same rights to the other users that they share that content with. Again, we do not share your content with other third parties except at your command (or to service providers that power our platform). You’ll notice similar license grants to other users in other applications that involve sharing content with other third parties (for example, Facebook or Twitter). Again, this only applies where (as stated in our terms) the user decides to “publicly share User Content”.

I'd be more than happy to discuss this topic as well as the evaluation you are conducting on a call if you would like. I've included a link to my calendar below. Simply select a time that works for you and I will reach out."

I believe them when they say they won't abuse it but on the other hand they ask you to sign over permission to.

That means if your client asks you to shoot them a package that includes a DD map and the deliverables requested are sole license it puts you in a weird spot where you either kind of play dumb and say sure or you tell them you're using a third party app and there's fine print that give them carte blanchè to your **** too.

Thanks for the info airbud.. Not sure I can convince my CEO with this. Privacy is an important feature here and since they give no guarantee Im not sure this will work. Also lack of map coverage is a serious issue, thing is Im not always informed about place I need to shoot. Last time I came there and saw neither maps, nor cellular connection, yet I could plan a route - but without map this is close to impossible.
I will be on another work trip until monday, on monday Ill try GS 2 Pro along with Agisoft software. Getting new 64gb RAM + i7 + SLI GTX1080 rig in couple of weeks, so perfomance wont be an issue (hopefully, lol)

Thanks for the info airbud.. Not sure I can convince my CEO with this. Privacy is an important feature here and since they give no guarantee Im not sure this will work. Also lack of map coverage is a serious issue, thing is Im not always informed about place I need to shoot. Last time I came there and saw neither maps, nor cellular connection, yet I could plan a route - but without map this is close to impossible.
I will be on another work trip until monday, on monday Ill try GS 2 Pro along with Agisoft software. Getting new 64gb RAM + i7 + SLI GTX1080 rig in couple of weeks, so perfomance wont be an issue (hopefully, lol)

No problem. I would reach out to DroneDeploy if it's you still think they could help achieve your project's goals, it seems their legal department MAY be able to change the language to appease your boss.

Ok, so its been two months of trying and exploring.
Best combo I've achieved Export .shp file from your GIS > Upload to DroneDeploy Mission > Tie resulted pictures with Agisoft.
Still exploring Agisoft.. Rooftops looking wavy for me, playing with settings.
Also tried Menci software, its good, really, I loved the result BUT resulted image got all watermarked and after-trial price is brutal for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.