Does anyone actually verify 'Home Point' using 'HL'?

Reaction score
Does anyone actually verify 'Home Point' using 'Home Lock'?

As part of my new preflight, I have been verifing 'Home Point' by flying the vehicle 90degs. perpendicular (left or right) to its orientation for a distance of about 50 yards.
Then I put the RC S2 to 'HL' and pull the directional stick straight back. If the vehicle flys back along the same purpendicular path it took on the way out, the 'Home Point' is good.

What prompted this change in preflight was that I noticed that the vehicle would set its 'Home Point' when there are still RED flashing LED indications. (less than 6 satellites aquired)
I now wait until all LED indications are flashing GREEN and then manually reset 'Home Point'

n6vmo said:

Yes, that's part of my standard operating procedure after takeoff. I fly out about a dozen yards. Then I take my hands off the controls for a few seconds to ensure that it doesn't drift while hovering. Then I switch to Home Lock and move it around to ensure it goes the way I expect. If all that works well, I feel more confident that it'll fly the way I tell it and return home correctly if something goes wrong.

-- Roger

n6vmo said:
As part of my new preflight, I have been verifing 'Home Point' by flying the vehicle 90degs. purpendicular (left or right) to its orientation for a distance of about 50 yards.
Then I pull the directional stick straight back. If the vehicle flys back along the same purpendicular path it took on the way out, the 'Home Point' is good.

This is brilliant! I have now added this to my preflight.

Until I had FPV with OSD I did the same thing, always. Now I just wait for the right coordinates flash into view and the indication of 9 or more sats, and off she goes.

I do something similar but pull back in HL from two places 90 degrees apart on the clock face from the home point. This does a simple triangulation test to make sure that the home point is where it supposed to be and not just in line with the first check but 2 miles away along the line.

100%
First thing done after take off. Everytime!

Distance and azimuth in the OSD tell you everything you need to know without having to fly back and forth.

n6vmo said:

Never.

n6vmo said:
What prompted this change in preflight was that I noticed that the vehicle would set its 'Home Point' when there are still RED flashing LED indications. (less than 6 satellites aquired)
I now wait until all LED indications are flashing GREEN and then manually reset 'Home Point'

The reason why you see the first set of flashing greens while still acquiring satellites (indicated by the red flashes) is that the first set of flashing greens is confirming orientation of the craft. The Home Point has yet to be set.

Once the required number of satellites are acquired you will see a second set of flashing greens.

There is no need to manually reset the Home Point in the scenario you describe.

In bright, blazing sunlight, I find those lights too hard to tell what color they are.
I'll keep checking after up.

Welcome to the forum Pruina Margarita :D
+1 Happy am the same way with the lights and check my HL like Hughie every time I go up ! Don't take but a second and then I know for sure !!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie