Does a cloudy day shorten your flight?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I took my P3A out today for its first cloudy day flight. It had not rained it about 4 hours but there was still moisture in the air since the clouds where hanging about. I have your basic range extenders on my antennas and at around 1500ft distance and 400ft high I lost visual signal and control. At this point I had to hold the "Oh Crap" button and make it return to me ASAP. Do clouds really cause this much of a problem with the signal that it would cut my distance in half or more? On a sunny day the farthest i've taken my phantom was 3Kish feet.

Hello everyone!

I took my P3A out today for its first cloudy day flight. It had not rained it about 4 hours but there was still moisture in the air since the clouds where hanging about. I have your basic range extenders on my antennas and at around 1500ft distance and 400ft high I lost visual signal and control. At this point I had to hold the "Oh Crap" button and make it return to me ASAP. Do clouds really cause this much of a problem with the signal that it would cut my distance in half or more? On a sunny day the farthest i've taken my phantom was 3Kish feet.

I've never had clouds cut my distance that I know of. I've been hoping to get some clouds low enough to fly through/over.

Do clouds really cause this much of a problem with the signal that it would cut my distance in half or more? On a sunny day the farthest i've taken my phantom was 3Kish feet.
Clouds shouldn't have much effect unless you are flying through them but humidity in the air will have a small impact.
Local interference is likely to have much more effect though.

I actually flew on a cloudy day (yesterday) and I flew farther than I ever have before...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The clouds where not anywhere near the 400ft ceiling and this is in an area i've flown before and was easy able to hit 2-2.5k distance. Losing control of your phantom is always unnerving!

I've done some further research of the area and about 1.3 miles away I found a tower of some sort. It looks to be a cellular tower but I am no positive it is. Can this thing be causing the issue being that far away?

I've done some further research of the area and about 1.3 miles away I found a tower of some sort. It looks to be a cellular tower but I am no positive it is. Can this thing be causing the issue being that far away?

I've got a few cell towers near where I fly. 2 of them cause no problems, but one of them does. I can not fly past it. I lose all signals when I get to the same spot about 300 ft away from it.
They all look exactly the same too.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers