Do you watermark you images/videos?

Reaction score
I'm debating whether or not to watermark my media licensed to real estate agents. What do you all do for copyright protection?

I'm debating whether or not to watermark my media licensed to real estate agents. What do you all do for copyright protection?
If would of thought that if you sell your work you are selling all rights to it unless you want to add a one off use to the real estate agents but then they might well use some one else with out copy right material.
Lets face it, you sell pictures of property the chances of them using it again would only be any good if the client used the same agents.
There may well be improvement's to the properties that would not show up in the original pictures.

That will largely depend on the contract with the real estate agency. They may want to disallow or limit the size of the watermark, or even apply their own watermark image instead of or on top of your mark.

Your watermark should be small but easily identify the work are your own. In addition of being a form of DRM, it is also a means of advertising. If a rival real estate agency views your videos, they may want to have you do work for your agency and that logo would identify you to them. Unless otherwise prohibited by the contact, you should have a watermark. The contract should also have language to prevent the agency from cropping out, blurring, or otherwise obscuring your watermark. If the agency is purchasing all of the rights to the video, then it would be a reasonable expectation that you would not be allowed to have a watermark.

Water marks are a joke.

If someone "steals" your photo, good! Means your doing something right:)

Water marks are a joke.

If someone "steals" your photo, good! Means your doing something right:)
Not if you are a commercial photographer and that is your livelihood.

When I ran my own photography business I watermarked all preview photos and published at a lower resolution. However, when a client buys the image, they get full res images without any watermarks. Although I own the copyright, the terms of the contract would determine what rights to the photo I transfer to the client and what rights I retain. If the client pays for exclusive rights, they can do what they want with it and I can't sell it again to anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: anotherlab
I add my details to the EXIF metadata associated with the photograph too - it's not fool proof to be clear, but is an imbedded record that I took the picture.

I add my details to the EXIF metadata associated with the photograph too - it's not fool proof to be clear, but is an imbedded record that I took the picture.

It's so easy to change the EXIF data, it really doesn't provide you any protection. If you shoot in JPEG+RAW, you'll always have the RAW file. That would give you stronger proof (plus any addition photos from the shoot) that you were the photographer.

It's so easy to change the EXIF data, it really doesn't provide you any protection. If you shoot in JPEG+RAW, you'll always have the RAW file. That would give you stronger proof (plus any addition photos from the shoot) that you were the photographer.

As is a water mark.... I guess the only benefit is advertisement, but the OP is concerned with copyright protection, which will never happen. Besides my opinion heres a few other opinions.

As is a water mark.... I guess the only benefit is advertisement, but the OP is concerned with copyright protection, which will never happen. Besides my opinion heres a few other opinions.

For copyright protection of media supplied under contract, the OP's only protection would be the contract that he signed with the real estate company.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj