Do you trust autoland?

Reaction score
I am curious how much everyone trusts autoland. I have been watching videos and some of the autolands look a little rough. It makes me want to always hand catch and land manually.

Has anyone had damage using autoland, either by itself or just letting return to home also land...

Seems like with the vision position system the advanced and pro should be really good at it...

The auto land feature is rough. For that reason, you should only let your Phantom auto land if you cannot see it when it's landing. Otherwise, take control back when it's close to the home point and land it yourself.

Yes, couldn't agree more, take back control of the Phantom before it gets near the ground for a slower, smoother landing.

I used to auto land to demonstrate the capability to friends. Initially for me it was very smooth with soft landings. Very impressive. That was with FW 1.1.9 which was my first FW. When the FW was updated to 1.2.x, a VPS bug was introduced and auto landings were then much rougher so I stopped showing people. When 1.3.2 came out with the VPS fix, auto landings were better, but still not like they were before. 1.4.1 isn't any better, so I still don't do it anymore. I consider it an emergency only function now.

Reactions: JoBe
I used to auto land to demonstrate the capability to friends. Initially for me it was very smooth with soft landings. Very impressive. That was with FW 1.1.9 which was my first FW. When the FW was updated to 1.2.x, a VPS bug was introduced and auto landings were then much rougher so I stopped showing people. When 1.3.2 came out with the VPS fix, auto landings were better, but still not like they were before. 1.4.1 isn't any better, so I still don't do it anymore. I consider it an emergency only function now.

Yeah I can tell my friends and family would really like to see the automated landing and return to home, but based on the responses so far I never plan to even try it...will save for emergency only...kind of makes me sad...

Will probably show them return to home, but will take over for landing...

Also I believe one should use prop guards during auto landing as the landing surface may not be even and P3 might trip to one side damaging props.

Knowing if will land some distance away from recorded home point, why it's best to fly in clear open areas, where there are no unusual or unannounced obstacles or odd uneven ground.
If you have a landing pad to land on, all the better.
Yes, always bring it in under your manual control, when ever able.

RedHotPoker

There's no need for autoland really unless it's landing for a malfunction somewhere else... I hand catch every time, even in wind so far.

I autoland every once in awhile just because its fun to watch the technology work, I always add throttle (collective) to slow the V/S for a light touch-down.
In the desert during our RZR rides I hand catch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic