Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Do you think I need new motors?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Huskerfan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Huskerfan

Please look at this video. It appears the motors are going out? What do you think?

2. N017RW

Motors only have one moving or wearing part, bearings. Increased friction raises motor temp/heat from friction and having to work harder against said frictions.

After flight check motor temps. No tools required, use fingers. If they're all similar temp then your fine.

3. Pharm

I think you're fine. Your video frame rate makes them LOOK strange but what you're seeing is the motors changing speed to maintain position in the breeze. Just inspect your props and make sure they're not damaged. In spite of how it appears, they're NOT stopping in midair or you AND your Phantom would be in a heap on the ground.

#3 Pharm, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Mikes and ROD PAINTER like this.
  4. Huskerfan

No, did you have the volume turned up? They are reving up and down and it is affecting the flight a little.

My P3A doesn't do this...l

5. Pharm

I hear what you're talking about. I assumed it was background. If that sound IS coming from the Phantom, you're right. Something is askew! Huskerfan, is that noise from the Phantom?

6. Huskerfan

Yes and about :20 you can hear and even see the drone move slightly. It is not acting right and I'm afraid to get it away from me at any distance for fear it might come crashing down!

7. Quadcopterpilot

Trouble is, it might not be the motors but a flaky circuit board.
    Not sure how you can check that.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

8. Steve7777

Both times the occurrence of the noise is followed by a slight drop in altitude. As already mentioned, it could well be the bearings binding but there definitely appears to be some sort of power loss anyway. It's difficult to tell from just a video but it sounds to me like something might be occillating. If you haven't done so already, it might be an idea to do a whole check-through for mounting screw tightness, cracks, any play in the motor shafts or, indeed, general 'wobbliness' anywhere....

Pharm likes this.
  9. N017RW

Lots of WAGs.

How do the post-flight motor temps feel?

I see wind by the flag... are you on the leeward side of a building or structure?, is there a down-draft occurring?

Repeat experiment in a different location and conditions.

Pharm likes this.