Do you think I need new motors?

Reaction score
Please look at this video. It appears the motors are going out? What do you think?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Motors only have one moving or wearing part, bearings. Increased friction raises motor temp/heat from friction and having to work harder against said frictions.

After flight check motor temps. No tools required, use fingers. If they're all similar temp then your fine.

I think you're fine. Your video frame rate makes them LOOK strange but what you're seeing is the motors changing speed to maintain position in the breeze. Just inspect your props and make sure they're not damaged. In spite of how it appears, they're NOT stopping in midair or you AND your Phantom would be in a heap on the ground.

Last edited:
I think you're fine. Your video frame rate makes them LOOK strange but what you're seeing is the motors changing speed to maintain position in the breeze. Just inspect your props and make sure they're not damaged.
No, did you have the volume turned up? They are reving up and down and it is affecting the flight a little.

My P3A doesn't do this...l

No, did you have the volume turned up? They are reving up and down and it is affecting the flight a little.

My P3A doesn't do this...l
I hear what you're talking about. I assumed it was background. If that sound IS coming from the Phantom, you're right. Something is askew! Huskerfan, is that noise from the Phantom?

I hear what you're talking about. I assumed it was background. If that sound IS coming from the Phantom, you're right. Something is askew! Huskerfan, is that noise from the Phantom?
Yes and about :20 you can hear and even see the drone move slightly. It is not acting right and I'm afraid to get it away from me at any distance for fear it might come crashing down!

Both times the occurrence of the noise is followed by a slight drop in altitude. As already mentioned, it could well be the bearings binding but there definitely appears to be some sort of power loss anyway. It's difficult to tell from just a video but it sounds to me like something might be occillating. If you haven't done so already, it might be an idea to do a whole check-through for mounting screw tightness, cracks, any play in the motor shafts or, indeed, general 'wobbliness' anywhere....

Reactions: Pharm
Lots of WAGs.

How do the post-flight motor temps feel?

I see wind by the flag... are you on the leeward side of a building or structure?, is there a down-draft occurring?

Repeat experiment in a different location and conditions.

Reactions: Pharm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic