Do You Store Your Batteries Charged Or As Is?

Reaction score
If you are storing your spare batteries and do not know when you might use them next do you charge them first or store "as is" and recharge before flight? I am not familiar with this type of battery and unlike a wet cell remember reading somewhere that storing partially discharged is better. In the last 10 days I have read so much on quads, since I am new, that my head is swimming and I don't remember where I have read some of this information. I have 4 batteries now, have them numbered, and plan to rotate.....Thanks....

Utopia Texas said:
If you are storing your spare batteries and do not know when you might use them next do you charge them first or store "as is" and recharge before flight? I am not familiar with this type of battery and unlike a wet cell remember reading somewhere that storing partially discharged is better. In the last 10 days I have read so much on quads, since I am new, that my head is swimming and I don't remember where I have read some of this information. I have 4 batteries now, have them numbered, and plan to rotate.....Thanks....

I store my batteries "as is" after flying, or discharge down on my charger to about 30% capacity. If I know I'll be flying in the next few days, I'll charge my batteries ahead, and store them in the fridge for a day or two fully charged and ready to go.
This article might be helpful:

http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf

The general rule for LiPo batteries is to store them at 50% charge.

This is about 3.8v per cell or about 11.4 for the 2P3S packs we use on the P2s.

DJI has introduced newer [battery] firmware recently that will aoutomatically discharge them to the 50% level if left unused for 10 days. They estimated it would take 2 days to do this from a 100% charge.

I store my batteries fully charged. Since the latest battery firmware will auto discharge them to a safe level after 10 days, I do not have to worry about not flying for 10+ days in a row.

msinger said:
I store my batteries fully charged. Since the latest battery firmware will auto discharge them to a safe level after 10 days, I do not have to worry about not flying for 10+ days in a row.

Not sure if the OP is flying with Smart Batteries or not? Just be aware that the Phantom 1 doesn't take a "smart" battery, so there won't be a auto discharge feature on that battery. I treat my Smart Batteries the same as regular (dumb?) lipos however. I forget that they will discharge after nearly two weeks.

Good point.

The latest battery firmware discharges them to about 45% after 10 days.
This is best for storage and new batteries arrive like that.
They won't take much harm left full for a week or so, I wouldn't leave them at very low levels for long though.

You can also think about temperature.
Storing in a fridge is a bit extreme but a cool room is good, hot places like in a car in the sun is definitely bad.

Storage Temperature 40% Charge 100% Charge
0 °C (32 °F) 2% loss after 1 year 6% loss after 1 year
25 °C (77 °F) 4% loss after 1 year 20% loss after 1 year
40 °C (104 °F) 15% loss after 1 year 35% loss after 1 year
60 °C (140 °F) 25% loss after 1 year 40% loss after 3 months
Source: BatteryUniversity.com

The above table is from the link I provided earlier. Maybe I should start freezing mine? lol. I'm still flying on the original lipo that came with my Phantom 1 over two years ago, and getting 8 minutes flight times on that old battery with over 120 flights on it. I've always stored it in the fridge when charged, and in the cool basement when discharged.

It is recommended that you store them at 40-50% charged. This is what I do, and it certainly doesn't work for everyone all the time: After I fly a battery, it is discharged to around 15-20%. When I get it home I put it on the charger and set a reminder timer to 25 minutes. After that 25 minutes it is somewhere between 40-60% charged. I leave it that way until I know I am going to fly again, at which time I charge it up to full or near full. Lather, rinse, repeat. I have also thought I was going to fly, charged a battery, then didnt fly, left it that way for a couple three days, then flew, lather, rinse, repeat.

The school says to not let them sit fully charged or empty for long periods. So something in between.

I have also had one battery go bad on me while taking good care of it, same as the other two. Dealer replaced it and other two older ones have been fine so far. 60+ on two, 10 on the other replaced one.

Don't lose sleep over this. Unless you are OCD or **** retentive, just try your best to store them at 50%.

Good grief, put them in the fridge? You have go to be kidding me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav