Do you put your name/info on your drone?

Flying it can be fun but for me the drone is simply a platform for my camera. An easily movable, very high invisible tripod.

That's because it's different for everyone!
I have insurance on mine, so I don't want a crashed bird back, I'll take the payout w/out deductible and get another.
With that, My FAA# inside battery compartment, at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My FAA number and my cell number are on the sticker.

Sticker is inside the battery compartment at the bottom. Legal, since it doesn't require any tools to get to. I don't have a name or address on there. I have no intention of running and hiding from an incident that is my fault. However, my level of cooperation with the person on the other end will depend on their attitude. If they feel compelled, then they can look it up in the FAA database.

There is no way currently for a member of the public to look up the info off of an FAA number..... And I would be really surprised if the local police department would be able/want to look up that information.

I have my drone marked "If Found - Contact (Phone #)"

I also of course have my FAA registration on there.

I understand the "run and hide" fear after damaging someone's property, but the more responsible thing to do is take ownership of your aircraft and claim responsibility for accidents. If the drone community is responsible like that, the FAA won't be so strict.

Safe Flyin'

Nothing wrong with living in the sticks is there?

of course not!!!

I'm jealous,
I have my drone marked "If Found - Contact (Phone #)"

I also of course have my FAA registration on there.

I understand the "run and hide" fear after damaging someone's property, but the more responsible thing to do is take ownership of your aircraft and claim responsibility for accidents. If the drone community is responsible like that, the FAA won't be so strict.

Safe Flyin'

I get it, its just human nature to get nervous about stuff like that :)

that said, enough is enough with the restrictions though, this is like guns, I wasn't going to register it right away and frankly I didn't until recently.

It wasn't a problem before, and its not now, just another way to look like they are doing something and course make money!

Having a membership to a designated RC flying field, like our local www.ercha.ca has been nice. As well, awesome in being a dues-paid member of www.maac.ca. Our membership there provides us with a $7.5M liability insurance..
Lord forbid. . . You know? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hey RedHot I think the MAAC membership only covers you when flying at club fields or sanctioned events not flying elsewhere.
Am I wrong?
Just asking because I'm a MAAC member.

Yes, you are correct, we must be at a sanctioned RC heli field, for coverage, & that's why my ERCHA membership is so important to us.
Not that I don't fly at several-many other locations, but the ERCHA field is a safe and confortable place, to fly and hang-out, with like minded folks-friends, where no one will ever bother us. ;-)
I was flying my Phantom 3, near the city centre one day, and one of the two city police helicopter's showed up, so I finished that flight battery, hopped on my SpYder and headed for ERCHA. A few minutes after I got there, guess who showed up, he must have followed me out there. Hahaha
But he could say or do nothing, only F-off (fly) & get the F-out (fuzz) of there, blue boy... Ha

But we do have three landing pads... It would have been epic, if he had used one. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
The FAA is pretty crazy about the whole thing, but the way I look at it is to use your own discretion and fly safely using your own rules. I live in the suburbs of Pennsylvania and I have flown the drone out of my sight lines and over 400 feet many times, but I'll tell you if I lived in Philadelphia, I wouldn't dare fly the thing out of my sight or above 400 feet. I use my discretion knowing I am in the middle of absolutely nowhere and if I crashed, I almost definitely would not harm anyone or anything, That's just my view on it. I am a pilot in training as well and I always do a risk assessment before flying both my drone and a real plane.

Goes a little like this:
1) Pilot Condition?
2) Aircraft Condition?
3) Weather?
4) External Factors? (Example: Large crowds of people)

I do that before every flight and it is a good way to feel confident while flying.

DeBrakeleer to be honest I'm surprised that you'd be so quick to disregard the suggested community guidelines for hobby flights and suggest "using your own rules". As a pilot I can tell you right away if you subscribe to that same philosophy when you get your GA ticket you'll either get very poor quickly (fines) or you'll not survive to be an old and wise pilot. When flying in the National Airspace System it's a very bad idea to even think about playing by various sets of rules/guidelines. We have one of (if not THE) the safest Airspace on the planet because all pilots are playing by the same rules/regulations and we all know basically what to expect 95% of the time.

Also keep in mind that IF you were to get some type of infraction while flying your UAS it very well could affect your GA flying license.

Here's a thread I started a week or so ago that demonstrates how the "guidelines" may actually have more "bite" than we thought:
Hobby/Recreational Flight could indeed be regulated. . .

I do commend you for following a rigid routine for risk assessment for every flight. I do the same thing for each and every flight regardless of the mission at hand.

I put my phone number and name and a reward will be given if found with a black marker on top of the drone. I had a run away back in Jan. and got a call that my drone had landed in their back yard. The camera was damaged,battery,and other damage. They left it on the front porch for me to pick it up. It was still under warrenty.DJI repaired with no cost. If I did not have the phone number on it I would not have anything to send back DJI. Yes ,if I were you put your number on the Drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
If in the US I'd assume ALL do. Until we're told otherwise it's required to at least have your FAA Operator Registration # on/in the aircraft.

Old timers have long since had our name, contact #, and AMA # clearly visible on each of our aircraft (required for AMA members). I have since updated all of my aircraft to include Registration #, name, phone # and email address. If mine goes down I'd hope someone at least tries to contact me.

Yes... even 'intermediate' timers do this. Don't fly where you would want to hide if it crashed. If you lose one, and it will happen if you fly long enough, then hope someone finds it and contacts you. I've never lost a Phantom but I've lost one fixed wing (since found in a mud pit after the winter snow receded) and one racing quad - which was never found.

Reactions: BigAl07
Catch 22, falls on a lamborghini or Ferrari I kind of want to run and hide, then again if it falls safely in a yard and someone picks it up I kind of want someone who's a good person and call a # I would list on the drone.

so is your information stickered on it? Name/phone #

Yes

I thought the same way, but if mine falls and hits a car or damages property, I do want to own up to it. If it falls and hits someone though,
that could get expensive, so I avoid flying over people. I wrote on mine "Thank you so much for finding me! Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" and put my FAA # on it.

An umbrella policy is a nice thing if you have a significant amount of money/assets someone might want to sue for.
I got it in the event someone falls in my house, on property, car accident I am involved in if my car insurance won't cover the full amount of damages I caused (I'd have to drive through a sidewalk of people and through a Ferrari dealership), but it's a good thing to have. Some of you should consider it.
I would think (not 100% sure on this), but it could probably cover if I crash land through a window, on a car, or God forbid on a person.
Only a couple hundred bucks a year and has a pretty wide insurance net for incidentals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.