Do you own any cheap drone

Learned on v911 helicopters and Hubsan 104, also liked to fly Walkera qrs w100 and still love my 350 pros that work with mission planner for 300$ each.

Syma X11 is about the same size (i have also had a hubsan knock off). I like both, but the X11, can accept a larger battery from the X5C-1 if you tape it to the outside. It makes it heavier, but this allows it to fly better (for me) in the wind outside, and if you set it into high speed mode, it can fly pretty well outside. (This battery config lasts about 10-12 minutes as well which is a plus)

I'm in a motorhome. It's big enough for me, but drone flying is pretty much out....lol
I'd recommend the Estes ProtoX/Hubsan Q4 micro quad. Uses same flight controller as the larger Hubsan X4. In fact if you have the X4, you can use that controller (recommended).
Estes Protox Microcopter

Click pic for link.

Scott

I'd recommend the Estes ProtoX/Hubsan Q4 micro quad. Uses same flight controller as the larger Hubsan X4. In fact if you have the X4, you can use that controller (recommended).
Estes Protox Microcopter

Click pic for link.

Scott
I'm in Texas, and I'm beginning to think the only place I can fly one is inside.

I started with a UDI U818A-1. Very safe and will take a pretty good beating. It's a sail boat in the wind though. A buddy of mine has a Syma X8c that his wife got him. It's really nice. So I got irritated by all the wind and how much it impacts my 818, so I took the cover off. That almost cut the weight in half, and got rid of more than half of the wind resistance. It now takes off like a missile, and maneuvers like a hummingbird on crack. Gotta learn how to fly it all over again. And the flight times improved as well. Only problem is that the props are no longer protected. Neither is the wiring, for the top part. Oh well, it's a lot of fun to go topless.

You're not supposed to see any more rain for another week. Wind is at 9mph tho... Not sure if that is expected to abate this week.
Oh, I didn't mean the weather. Have you heard about Texas laws? No higher than 8 ft. Cant involve anyone in the shot without permission, 500$ fine for violation, and it opens you up to a 10,000$ civil suit. They are rabid down here on drones. I make sure its early in the am when I go to the beach.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
Oh, I didn't mean the weather. Have you heard about Texas laws? No higher than 8 ft. Cant involve anyone in the shot without permission, 500$ fine for violation, and it opens you up to a 10,000$ civil suit. They are rabid down here on drones. I make sure its early in the am when I go to the beach.
Less dangerous going around shooting neighbors dogs and cats... until the neighbor shoots YOU !

I have a Drone D1, smallest drone made.... I think it's tough to fly

I have the Cheerson version of the D1. I also find it hard to fly. I really think the Hubsan flight controller is the best. That's why I like the Hubsan X4 and Estes ProtoX. Even have a few custom drones modified for speed and agility, but still using the Hubsan FC.

12346298_10153142504371816_7292972607055528489_n.jpg

I have the Cheerson version of the D1. I also find it hard to fly. I really think the Hubsan flight controller is the best. That's why I like the Hubsan X4 and Estes ProtoX. Even have a few custom drones modified for speed and agility, but still using the Hubsan FC.

12346298_10153142504371816_7292972607055528489_n.jpg

Nice collection! :)

I just got a Syma X5c-1 a few days ago, flying it around in the basement for practice...

I just got two Parrot Rolling Spider Mini Drones for me and my daughter. Hers is a gift from just dad for Christmas. I was not crazy about having to use an App on the phone to control, much prefer sticks on an actual remote... A little research, and I am now controlling it with a Game Pad Remote through my iPhone or LG G3... Using a Moga PowerPro for the LG3 with the stock Android App and Mad Catz CTRLi for the iPhones with a third party App in the App Store...

Now that I can fly it by actual sticks, I am really impressed with it. Mainly been flying it inside when my daughter is not home, do not want to spoil the surprise.

I really wanted something she could learn on, and something for me to play around with when not using the P3A... Most importantly, I wanted something with very similar flight characteristics... Main thin I was looking for was to be able to let go of the sticks and have the little drone stop and hover, and this does that like a champ! Never could do that with my Blade Nano QX, always have to adjust throttle back to stop it.

In a hover, it will stay still and hole altitude. You can go push it, and it will go back in place. It has multiple sensors like the AR Drone, Downward camera for visual reference, barometer, and ultra sound sensor. All of these allow it to know it's height and where it is relative to the ground...

Only downside is proprietary battery (although we should be used to that with our $150 proprietary batteries). I bought a bunch of extra batteries along with a multi charger for them. Works just like running through P3A Batteries... Cost wise, it is more than the others (although we got them on special for $70 each at Target) and to control with a real remote, you need to by one for iOS or Android, so that is an additional cost... For me though, we are getting the Apple TV 4, so the iOS controllers I bought will work for games on that as well

I still love to fly my toy quads and hexes. With a deviated Devo 7e radio, they really come to life and teach you how to control quick maneuvers. My favorites (like some others have listed) are my Nihui U807, MJX X800 and X600 (my first), and the little Bayang X9 and H8 mini models.

Learning to fly on these cheap smaller quads I think is really important. Radio stick control becomes second nature, and the big guys like the P3 seem like big "Labradors" compared to the toy "Jack Russells," if you know what I mean in terms of liveliness (my apologies to those with especially active Labs!)

yep, i have 3 listed in my sig. No way anyone should start with a phantom. Do you get a ferrari starting in drivers ed?

Only the ultra rich kids...lol

I learned by flying the hubsan 4 then learned quad design by cheerson cx20, then frame kits before moving on to 250 racers and P3.

I have a Dromida Ominus FPV and a Dromida Vista. I learned on them before dropping the $ on a Phantom. Like so many posting above, I still enjoy them on a calm day. You really have to FLY those toy drones! All the crash replacement parts are cheap and available at both my local hobby shops as well as online, and I can go to the field with a pocket full of batteries. The Phantom makes great photos and videos but the little ones are a blast to fly!

Two Syma X5C-1's. I loan these out to friends who are interested in getting into quad-copters. I crashed these from all kinds of heights, landed them in the middle of ponds, and spent hours hunting for them but they always go again. Also have a JJRC H20, JJRC H8, JJRC H12, and the Air Hog;s Millennium Falcon. Then there's a couple of Cheerson CX-20's before the Phantoms.

Two Syma X5C-1's. I loan these out to friends who are interested in getting into quad-copters. I crashed these from all kinds of heights, landed them in the middle of ponds, and spent hours hunting for them but they always go again. Also have a JJRC H20, JJRC H8, JJRC H12, and the Air Hog;s Millennium Falcon. Then there's a couple of Cheerson CX-20's before the Phantoms.

Just got my X5C-1 last week, have to admit it's pretty fun... haven't taken it outside yet, weather has been kinda funky here lately, and haven't had much free time. But it's seen a lot of indoor use.

I also just ordered an Axis Turbo-X mini drone about an hour ago, and I also have this one coming in a few weeks or less:

Micro Drone 3.0: Flight in the Palm of Your Hand

Just got my X5C-1 last week, have to admit it's pretty fun... haven't taken it outside yet, weather has been kinda funky here lately, and haven't had much free time. But it's seen a lot of indoor use.

I also just ordered an Axis Turbo-X mini drone about an hour ago, and I also have this one coming in a few weeks or less:

Micro Drone 3.0: Flight in the Palm of Your Hand
Watch the wind with the Syma X5c. They drift like a kite, but they also float to the ground like a butterfly. Make sure you have lots of open space for easy crash retrieval without climbing trees or neighbor's fences. An extendable 20 foot window washing pole with a squeegee on the end is a great retrieval device (snag a prop guard) if you don't follow my advice. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20