Do you need to calibrate the P3 every time it's used?

Reaction score
I heard that calibrating the drone every time may cause issues, and to only calibrate when it says compass error is this true?

I only recalibrate when I am using it in a new location.

I haven't calibrated my compass in over two weeks and I fly almost every other day.

The above link is a must read.

The concern with doing a calibration every time you fly is that you may end up with a bad one and not notice it, therefor inducing problems. As long as she is flying well and you are aren't seeing any issues I say don't calibrate.

No, you don't. But I'd recommend doing each day. You don't know what your phantom cold come into contact with between visits to your favorite place to fly. Traveling. I would ALWAYS check the mod value before each flight. Should be close to 1500. Easy to do and will let you know you are "on".

I heard that calibrating the drone every time may cause issues, and to only calibrate when it says compass error is this true?

Ya its not a very good idea to recalibrate the compass every time you fly esp if you have not moved locations and if there is nothing wrong with your compass mod values. Which ideally should be somewhere in the 1400 to 1800 range.

Personally if my mod values Are around the high 1400s to 1500s it flys and hovers near perfect still. if down on the lower 1400s or to much higher then 1600 or 1700 and up even tho it would still be in range for the software to say a calibration is not needed it will still fly ok but not hold as perfectly still esp if trying to hover and then yawing. It will not turn on a dime and will move its position as it yaws some times by a few feet depending on how off the calibration is.

But you will get different compass mod values every time you calibrate the compass even if you do it in the same spot and same conditions. So if you happen to have a perfect calibration thats right on. and then just go and do a calibration again you might end up with some values that are not as good as you already had. So its best to also make sure you look at your compass mode values before and even after a calibration if you want to be sure if its in a good range or not. Its one of them things that if its working right no sence in doing a compass calibration if nothing else has changed.

My compass tells me it needs calibrating every time. Even when I just keep it at my house and don't go anywhere. Well, the calibrate button is highlighted anyway.

People say don't take off from a car bonnet or car roof as it causes compass issues ..... I've never taken off from a car but I do drive to locations to fly ... My Phantom is on the passenger seat. I figure the Phantom has been in a metallic object with speakers in the doors that contain magnets and therefore it could affect the compass. So yes, I calibrate each time

I recalibrate every time I go to a new location. I am aware that more than 99% of the time this is unnecessary. However, if you were going to fly a plane you would go around and check all your instruments and visually check the outside just as a safety issue, even though more than 99% of the time it would be unnecessary.

If flying drones is a hobby or a sport, and one is only interested in the thrill, they can do whatever they want to the drone. However, if you plan to use the drone as a business tool, you will want to have a regularly safety check routine, which I would suggest includes recalibrating the compass. It looks more professional if you are flying in front of clients and demonstrates your commitment to safety. Also, there is the very remote (perhaps near zero) chance that a software glitch, GPS constellation anomaly, a hacker, or some other unforeseen situation has occurred that could cost you your drone.

The choice to recalibrate is yours as the owner and operator, but I have my reasons for recalibrating at each new location.

My compass tells me it needs calibrating every time. Even when I just keep it at my house and don't go anywhere. Well, the calibrate button is highlighted anyway.
That isn't normal and you should investigate the cause.
The most obvious cause is the launch location you are using.
Are you on metal like a car or manhole cover or are you on concrete with steel reinforcing?

It hasn't ever mattered where I launch from. Grass in the middle of a field or my own driveway. I always get the word calibrate highlighted in white. Flies great tho.

Apparently I am mistaken. A highlighted "calibrate" doesn't mean it needs to be calibrated. I guess I'm good to go.

Apparently I am mistaken. A highlighted "calibrate" doesn't mean it needs to be calibrated. I guess I'm good to go.
You are good to go-- calibrate when you get a compass error -- or if you are flying at a different location that is not close to your last flight setting. Some say 100 miles-- whatever you are comfortable with.

People say don't take off from a car bonnet or car roof as it causes compass issues ..... I've never taken off from a car but I do drive to locations to fly ... My Phantom is on the passenger seat. I figure the Phantom has been in a metallic object with speakers in the doors that contain magnets and therefore it could affect the compass. So yes, I calibrate each time

Having it in the car is fine and won't effect the compass as long as you keep it away from the speakers. At least a foot, two for bigger speakers. And don't take off from your car! Bad! :(

I recalibrate every time I go to a new location. I am aware that more than 99% of the time this is unnecessary. However, if you were going to fly a plane you would go around and check all your instruments and visually check the outside just as a safety issue, even though more than 99% of the time it would be unnecessary.

Calibrating the compass is not a safety check. You should only do it if the conditions meet the criteria for doing it. There are many many places where calibrating the compass cannot be done properly. Calibration should only be done in the middle of an open field with nothing metallic or man made within 15ft.

If I am not traveling with it, I calibrate once every 4 to 6 weeks if that. Then I do a test flight to make sure it's perfect. Then I don't touch it.

I would recommend if you are working with clients, you should have all your gear prepped and tested before you work with them.

You are good to go-- calibrate when you get a compass error -- or if you are flying at a different location that is not close to your last flight setting. Some say 100 miles-- whatever you are comfortable with.

You right on the 100 miles but don't wait or rely on the compass error message. The compass can need a calibration but the Phantom can't detect it. It's a limitation in the way the compass works.

People need to remember what the word calibrating means. It's basically to reset/re-align to a pre-determined small sample standard. If this "small sample standard" is defective then it can exponentially increase the defect into a massive error. This why its not the best idea to recalibrate at every site.

We are so lucky with the P3 that the information is at a finger touch. I do it based on the settings > sensor > compass MOD value. If its not between 1400-1800, I move the phantom to another area to take off. If its still outside those ranges at the new take off, I use google maps to find an open field and do the dance there.

Try and prevent taking off from roads/footpaths as there can be rebar (steel reinforcement) in the ground. Use a cardboard box and get it off the ground).

I also do it if I have made changes to the bird. Additions such as transmitters may have some sort of electro magnetic interference when turned on. Also the screw driver you are using may have magnetic tip and you maybe be degaussing the compass without knowing. So if you ad a tracker, turn it on and do the dance so the phantom can "see" and factor it in.

Checking the mod settings is on my preflight checklist, just above compass calibration.
I check the mod everytime but not the calibration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31