Do you need to be within controller range for waypoints?

Reaction score
Can you set a waypoints mission and have the drone perform the mission even if the drone is not within range of the controller, or will this trigger RTH?

If you're using DJI GO, you need to fly the mission first manually in order to set the waypoints. While your Phantom is flying the mission, it'll continue even if it loses connection with the remote controller.

So a saved mission, one in which originally there was full RC control, that is run in it's entirety can be performed without RC control (other than at the beginning I suppose). What I'm getting at here is I want to run missions from a point where I will ultimately be behind some trees and possibly buildings but when I programmed the mission I was LOS the whole time by moving the controller around to maintain LOS.

So a saved mission, one in which originally there was full RC control, that is run in it's entirety can be performed without RC control (other than at the beginning I suppose). What I'm getting at here is I want to run missions from a point where I will ultimately be behind some trees and possibly buildings but when I programmed the mission I was LOS the whole time by moving the controller around to maintain LOS.
Continuing the mission or not, I wouldn't put such obstacles in the way on subsequent flights. You're at least likely to lose fpv feed and that's never good and never feels good while it happens. Always keep los between the bird and the rc. Plus, how far off is your first waypoint from your proposed new isolated position compared to the original spot you stood at when setting that waypoint? Plan carefully and remain safe.

Continuing the mission or not, I wouldn't put such obstacles in the way on subsequent flights.
Agreed. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea. If something doesn't go as planned with the mission, you'll at least be able to take control back if your remote controller is connected.

I would ask why cant you move with the copter this time and keep VLOS during the mission?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20