Do you have to pay the $150 every two years for the part 107?

Reaction score
I've been searching, but cannot find out if you have to pay the $150 every two years, or just once for the initial test. Anyone know?

Your Part 107 Remote Pilot certification is good forever. No additional charge.

Reactions: kptw_pilot
But you do have to re-test every two years, is there a charge for that?

Are you referring to 107.65(b)? AFIAK, the FAA has not yet defined this. Most likely it will be a no cost WINGS course, not having to re-take a paid test. If someone has other information, please enlighten us vs. just a Yes answer.

Just like any pilot, your certificate is good forever, but you might need a biennial flight review or as it says "Passed a recurrent aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in §107.73(b); " It does not say take the same test again. It says "recurrent". As a private pilot I take many recurrent tests via the FAA WINGS program to meet most of the 24 months recurrent training to be able to fly, but my certificate is forever.

Last edited:
They (FAA) has almost 2 years to get it figured out. Hope that's enough time!

As Richard and Dave indicated, yes, after two years you will have to recertify. Whether or not that will require another $150 visit to the testing center remains to be seen. My SWAG is that the FAA might institute an online refresher/recertification option. But that's just a guess and time will ultimately tell.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and BigAl07
As Richard and Dave indicated, yes, after two years you will have to recertify. Whether or not that will require another $150 visit to the testing center remains to be seen. My SWAG is that the FAA might institute an online refresher/recertification option. But that's just a guess and time will ultimately tell.

I'll put my $$ on Russ's response above. I'd say that's the most likely option at this point in time.

I'll keep digging also. I know I read that there would be an online recertification test that required a final score of 100%. I don't recall a dollar amount put on the tests. Now to just remember where I read this.

This is what Part 107 says;

§107.65 Aeronautical knowledge recency.
A person may not operate a small unmanned aircraft system unless that person has completed one of the following, within the previous 24 calendar months:

(a) Passed an initial aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in §107.73(a);

(b) Passed a recurrent aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in §107.73(b); or

(c) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in §§61.56, passed either an initial or recurrent training course covering the areas of knowledge specified in §107.74(a) or (b) in a manner acceptable to the Administrator.

I see on line or weekend 107 re-currency seminars in our future. For you newly minted 107 folks who never held any other airman's certificate, the FAA and/or private industry "MAY" support this. Understand that if a private company gets the OK to put on a refresher seminar, you will be paying a fee. There have been on line and weekend refresher courses available for pilots for years.

Private pilots and higher just have to complete a flight review.

Last edited:
I was wondering about those FAA WINGS class things. I went to one on sUAV held at the local airport by a FAA lawyer. About 20-30 people attended. Informative, but I wondered about those WINGS points and signing in for them and how they would or could be used. Free coffee and cupcakes too by the Civil Air Patrol group who donated the building for the event.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr