Do you have a photo of a puffy battery?

Reaction score
I had a battery in my P2 running the battery down. It was just on with motors not running. I smelled something burning so I stopped it. However, what complicates the situation is that I was also rendering some video on my laptop and the laptop fans were really going strong, so maybe I smelled that? I don't know.

I took the battery out of the P2 and it may be puffy. It's possible that just the wrapper is slightly inflated but, that said, it is definitely not as flat as my three other batteries.

Does anyone have a good, clear pic of a puffy P2 battery?

I'm finding myself obsessing over this as I have a shoot on Tuesday.

I'm wondering if they naturally swell when discharging. I have three batteries and I find they all seem to be a bit puffy from discharging today, although one more than the others.

Two things about this puffiness - maybe they mean something, maybe they don't. 1) it's only on the thinner sides of the battery - one side with the warning and the other with the CE. 2) It feels like air/gas in there which I tell myself might only be temporary bloating from heat. It' doesn't feel like I'm feeling the firmness of a swollen, largely solid mass.

Lastly, I have to wonder if it isn't the P2 that isn't doing something to the batteries, or perhaps their own electronics. My only offense has been to store fully charged and I'm not convinced the effects of that would be as bad as I and others are experiencing.

adanac said:
I had a battery in my P2 running the battery down. It was just on with motors not running. I smelled something burning so I stopped it. However, what complicates the situation is that I was also rendering some video on my laptop and the laptop fans were really going strong, so maybe I smelled that? I don't know.

I took the battery out of the P2 and it may be puffy. It's possible that just the wrapper is slightly inflated but, that said, it is definitely not as flat as my three other batteries.

Do those batteries have the round data pins or square pins? How many times have been charged?

adanac said:

Attachments

• PuffedBattery.jpg
    PuffedBattery.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 781
adanac said:
Jason: all my batteries are round pin.

Dirk: thanks for the picture. It definitely shows a battery more puffed than the other but here's my question. Was the puffier one dead or just puffier and usable?

Unfortunately your batteries are close to if not over a year old. There's not much you can do about the poor performance you are having with them other than buying new ones. Best bet is to order from B&H and paid for one day delivery since you have a shoot on Tuesday. They are open on Sunday.

adanac said:
This morning most of the puffiness of the batteries has gone down so I wonder if they just inflated slightly with heat while discharging.

The puffiness is pressure related. There is gases stuck in the battery "balloon". Therefore In colder climates it will deflate. On hotter days it will expand. In your scenario, its colder in the morning.

Don't use it anymore. Best to try limefuel as they offer 1yr warranty (DJI is 3 months).

I would say there are (not is) gasses but I get the idea. :) My batteries were indoors the whole time so I attribute the deflation to general battery cooling and venting.

I purchased two new batteries and they are far less puffed than my old ones. I have lost 4 batteries to this. I guess it's because I stored them charged but I'm not fully convinced. I wonder if there is something about the DJI electronics in the battery that exacerbates the situation.

I can find no Limefuel reviews but I'd love to have an alternative to DJI.

There's no [intended] venting of a LiPo battery.

They are sealed so any 'vent' is a defect, failure, or damage.

Mako79 said:
adanac said:
This morning most of the puffiness of the batteries has gone down so I wonder if they just inflated slightly with heat while discharging.

The puffiness is pressure related. There is gases stuck in the battery "balloon". Therefore In colder climates it will deflate. On hotter days it will expand. In your scenario, its colder in the morning.

Don't use it anymore. Best to try limefuel as they offer 1yr warranty (DJI is 3 months).
My battery's are DJI and have a 1 year warranty . I have 3 battery's and have had all 3 replaced for free since I bought them .
2 were getting real puffy and this last one was because it had a bad cell.

dirkclod said:
Mako79 said:
adanac said:

My battery's are DJI and have a 1 year warranty . I have 3 battery's and have had all 3 replaced for free since I bought them .
2 were getting real puffy and this last one was because it had a bad cell.

You're a lucky man getting them replaced. Who is your dealer/retailer? I have 2 puffy batts that I use as door stops. DJI refuses to take them back even though they have less than 30 cycles. They have been treated well and have the 2.6 firmware (which DJI pulled).

http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-period

My next batteries will be limefuels.

When I had my first issue I called the DJI US # and was sent to the closest service center to me which was UAV Direct and have dealt with them ever since .
I have used them for all my issues and they always e-mail me or call very quickly .
I had to have a new shell and just had Eric who I deal with there go ahead and do the V3 conversion to mine and have nothing but praise for them .

I highly recommend them here ! http://www.uavdirect.com/default.asp

dirkclod said:
When I had my first issue I called the DJI US # and was sent to the closest service center to me which was UAV Direct and have dealt with them ever since .
I have used them for all my issues and they always e-mail me or call very quickly .
I had to have a new shell and just had Eric who I deal with there go ahead and do the V3 conversion to mine and have nothing but praise for them .

Make sure you are getting Version 2 batteries (PH2-5200 model). I would steer clear from DJI batteries for my next pruchase. I used to side with DJI on batteries as the aftermarket didn't meet quality, but now it seems reversed. You have 2/3 fail on you. That's a high failure rate.

DJI should impose a warranty based on cycles and extend the warranty to 2 years. They claim 300 cycles and yet none of mine has been able to pass the 50 mark without signs of stress. The warranty based on cycles is more relevant, especially if you have a cold winter or have 5 batteries to cycle through..

The ones I got back are OEM and are the new ones. I do agree with you on the cycles but i wouldn't use nothing in mine but DJI original batteries. That's just me though ;)

If you are charging immediately after flying then you will go through a lot of batteries, you should let them cool down before charging, maybe even put the in the fridge for an hour. I would charge my battery right after flying and within thirty charges they started to swell up. My advise to you is not to use the swollen battery, you will not like the consequenses......

I have been away for several months and have a quick question if I may.

I have the older batteries and an off brand that is supposed to be 5400mah. Have not upgraded S/W for 3-4 months. Will the latest S/w work with non DJI batteries?

Thanks,
Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20