Do you hate the ribbon as much as I did?

Reaction score
Mine broke the first time I tried to unplug it. I had upgraded from a 2D and after looking at them both I tore them apart to find I could take the gopro connection out of the 2d and put it in the 3d. All of the parts are the same but for two screws that hold the cover plate on. You could just use longer screws with nuts for them if you wanted. I did not even do that. I just pushed it on then clamped on the strap and it was good to go and works GREAT! It is even better then the 2d setup. Now I can get at the USB and I can even pop the card out without removing it.

The ribbon is just some-more of DJI's crap. There is no need for it for sure. I heard that they did not want to pay for the license for it.

I don't know if that is true or not. But they should be ashamed of themselves for putting out that crap.

If you are going to try it out yourself. Just make sure you flip the little black bar UP on the white connector where the ribbon goes in first.

Hey thanks for sharing.

I am in the same situation. I pulled out the H3-3D out of the box, and bam there goes the ribbon cable, cut in half.
Still don't know if it was sent like that or I broke it. Anyway after a lot of practice I managed to put in the replacement one that comes with it.

I just didn't know what to do when this one will break. Now I have another option.
Thanks!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

It had occurred to me to try this, but in noting the different shapes of the "camera plates" between the two gimbals, I assumed this swapping of parts wasn't possible. So happy to be wrong!

Have only made one flight thus far, but the swap definitely cured two problems with the H3-3D. No more stupid ribbon cable and USB plug, and no more annoying buzz/whine in the recorded audio. It MAY have also improved the behavior of H3-3D, because no sign of that jerk-left thing, despite flying in conditions ripe for that problem (windy + flying fast). Perhaps the USB plug and ribbon are a significant wind drag, and contribute to the jerking problem???

I simply used a twist-tie to hold everything in place, since the machine screw mounting is different between the two gimbals.

At any rate, I am so glad to now have what I thought I would get when I ordered, as opposed to some POS afterthought. :)

Can u post pictures of this please? My gimbal still jerks to the left.... My previous H3-3D didn't do this at all.

Wow! Its literally the same exact parts. All you do is unplug the ribbon cable and plug in the gopro pin connector to the same port. This works perfect for people like me who broke their first version h33d and got a second version with that lame ribbon. It can always be switched back to if any design changes are made In future gopros

How does it affect balance?. I am sure they would both be balanced slightly differently?

xgeek said:
How does it affect balance?. I am sure they would both be balanced slightly differently?

They do not come balanced from DJI. They let the motors balance them. I went ahead and balanced mine out with some quarters and it works nice and smooth with no strain on the motors.

@TexasHighDef

I did the same thing. Took to the skies with the 3D last night for the first time and was super impressed with the footage. I am not getting any jello, any pieces of the landing gear in the frame, and no funny noises or twitches.

I was concerned about the potential to mess up the balance of the Gimbal when I swapped the ribbon for the old gopro direct connector, but from first look at my footage, and also from watching the phantom hovering with the camera facing towards me, it appears I am nice an level........ so I think I don't need to do anything else.

But, I would be glad to understand your coin balancing method...... I assume you add coins while the gimbal is powered off until you get the camera hanging exactly level ? If I am not balanced with no power, does that mean the gimbal motors are under more strain to maintain horizontal level while the gimbal is powered ?

SARC said:
@TexasHighDef

But, I would be glad to understand your coin balancing method...... I assume you add coins while the gimbal is powered off until you get the camera hanging exactly level ? If I am not balanced with no power, does that mean the gimbal motors are under more strain to maintain horizontal level while the gimbal is powered ?

no. a balanced gimbal will (with the power off) allow you to place it in any orientation and it will just stay there. That means that the motors will have less work to do in order to maintain the gimbal in the orientation you place it when powered up. such as when fighting a gust of wind.

hope that helps.

Bmews

BMEWS said:
no. a balanced gimbal will (with the power off) allow you to place it in any orientation and it will just stay there. That means that the motors will have less work to do in order to maintain the gimbal in the orientation you place it when powered up. such as when fighting a gust of wind.

hope that helps.

Bmews

It does, thank you sir ! I will do some quarter and dime sticking this evening

So to correct this problem i need the cable in this photo and both ends install by simply plugging them into the H3 3D - Correct?

Attachments

• zenmuseHDMIAVCable2.jpg
    zenmuseHDMIAVCable2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,138

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers