Do you get compass errors?

Flying at home in western Canada, I get them once in a while, but mostly flying in the mountains. I've been in Greenland for 2 weeks and get them all the time (i.e. Every few seconds depending on where I am). Did a compass calibration before my first flight here and it was crappy. Did a couple more in different places and things got better. Last one was done on a sand beach and it's been okay. Still get the errors, but not too bad. I think flying over areas with high iron content can cause problems (volcanic rock, etc). I've been flying off of a boat in the ocean out around big icebergs for a few days and have gotten the errors a bunch but I just ignore them now.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I really don't know this
but could it be that you are so far north that it is not as accurate or even work well at all

iron rock etc I am sure could do funny things and add to the proximity to mag north pole...

Flying at home in western Canada, I get them once in a while, but mostly flying in the mountains. I've been in Greenland for 2 weeks and get them all the time (i.e. Every few seconds depending on where I am). Did a compass calibration before my first flight here and it was crappy. Did a couple more in different places and things got better. Last one was done on a sand beach and it's been okay. Still get the errors, but not too bad. I think flying over areas with high iron content can cause problems (volcanic rock, etc). I've been flying off of a boat in the ocean out around big icebergs for a few days and have gotten the errors a bunch but I just ignore them now.

Ignoring a compass error is the worse thing you could possibly do. Good luck to you.

So just did another compass calibration with no metal watch 3m away from my rc unit. Straight up and same compass error I have a duff unit again.
Hi Deimos,
I'd cut your frustration and send it back. Can you actually speak to DJI Europe and explain your issue? I wonder if they'd allow you to swap it out with your retailer? Worth a go?

Ignoring a compass error is the worse thing you could possibly do. Good luck to you.

There are far worse things than that. Haha As it says, flip to Atti and the compass error doesn't matter. And I don't believe luck has anything to do with a good experience with these. Having some knowledge and skill to actually fly them is much more important.

The compass errors found on the Phantom 3 is a well known factory defect. I'm still awaiting my replacement P3 after sending mine in for compass error repair, I received what I thought was my unit back repaired, but alas, it was a different unit with camera problems. I am now awaiting what transpires from DJI today.

There are far worse things than that. Haha As it says, flip to Atti and the compass error doesn't matter. And I don't believe luck has anything to do with a good experience with these. Having some knowledge and skill to actually fly them is much more important.

I wasn't trying to be funny. You obviously have taken your compass issue for granted and don't seem to be too concerned. My parents raised me to take care of my things and appreciate everything I have.

Enabling ATTI mode is not a solution to a compass issue either. If you are fortunate to get back to Home Point you should investigate why such an error took place. If nothing can be found at that time, common sense would say to pack up until the aircraft can be repaired. Don't continue flying.

You mentioned "high iron content". If the environment is not suitable to fly in, then it's best to steer clear of it and be thankful nothing major took place.

I wasn't trying to be funny. You obviously have taken your compass issue for granted and don't seem to be too concerned. My parents raised me to take care of my things and appreciate everything I have.

Enabling ATTI mode is not a solution to a compass issue either. If you are fortunate to get back to Home Point you should investigate why such an error took place. If nothing can be found at that time, common sense would say to pack up until the aircraft can be repaired. Don't continue flying.

You mentioned "high iron content". If the environment is not suitable to fly in, then it's best to steer clear of it and be thankful nothing major took place.

Now I remember why I stopped posting in these forums. Some people are too quick to turn a discussion personal and start taking jabs to make themselves feel better.

Reactions: BudWalker
I've only got them when I calibrated the compass with my Watch on my wrist (full stainless steel). Learned my lesson.

Come to think of it I haven't calibrated my compass in forever. Maybe I will next flight.

Reactions: Deimos

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20