Do you get compass errors?

Reaction score
If so how many times in a flight.

Ok my replacement p3a arrived today so out of the box I flew it after compass calibration. GPS and compass errors and I was not pushing the thing speed wise. So bring it down let it cool down and calibrate the lMU then do a compass calibration and fly again slightly better but still get the women telling me it is in atti mode and have compass gps errors.

So I live in the country in the middle of nowhere do the calibrate compass dance in a field about 100m from any building and 200m from some electrical cables.

To be honest I have lost all confidence after my flay away crash so was being very careful and not flying to fast or too far out maybe 150m today on two flights.

Any thoughts are welcome.

No, I don't ever get them. Something different for everybody...

RedHotPoker

I get them when setting up near my VW van....5m away and it's fine, land it and bring towards the vehicle it goes into atti mode.
I've also had compass errors in a field away from anything..

I will try and help, but not able at this moment. Do yourself a huge favor and do not fly until things can be figured out!

Reactions: Deimos
Thanks.

This is brand new out the box direct from DJI Europe, surely I have not got a dud!
If i have time tomorrow I am going to try and do a compass calibration a mile up the road.
Just checked my logs on my original p3a had a few atti warnings and the log is different with satelit positioning off warnings but they resolved after an IMU calibration.

Thanks.

This is brand new out the box direct from DJI Europe, surely I have not got a dud!
If i have time tomorrow I am going to try and do a compass calibration a mile up the road.
Just checked my logs on my original p3a had a few atti warnings and the log is different with satelit positioning off warnings but they resolved after an IMU calibration.

We need the App Version, A/C Firmware Version, and R/C Firmware Version.

It would be extremely beneficial if you could upload the DAT Flight Log and place it in DropBox and provide a public link in this thread. If the GO app is version 2.8.3 or below you can upload a copy of the TXT Flight Log file here as well *(see details below).

This will more then like not make any difference, but also calibrate the R/C Sticks, Gimbal, and Gimbal Speed(thumb wheel on upper left of r/c).

The TXT file you need is in the device you have the GO app loaded on.
You must connect that device to your computer and search for a folder named DJI.
Open the DJI folder and locate folder dji.pilot.
Open the dji.pilot folder and locate folder FlightRecord.
Open folder Flight Record and scroll near the bottom of the page and look for the txt file matching the flight in question.
That file will look similar to this: "DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-23_[19-22-40].txt"

None that don't make sense, i.e flying close to large ferrous metal structures taking off from reinforced concrete. Resolve without issue once I get a bit of distance. Trick is to get a good calibration and stick with it.

In >190 flights, I've had one compass error combined with a loss of GPS. It was about 100' from T/O and the controller bleeped and think I got Chantelle shouting a warning of some sort, as well as the banner saying compass error. It then went haywire, so switched to A mode to bring it back home.

OK, got home tonight been a short week working in London. So had time to sit down with the p3a checked the firmware out of the box it is 1.09.06 took it 1 mile up the road into the wilderness did a calibrate compass dance, compass error in the flight as soon as it takes of just flying vertically up about 10m. So bring it down, cool it down and 30 mins later do an IMU calibration. Outside do a compass calibration and same again straight up get a compass error. Fly it about 30m out 20m up and keep getting errors. Peed off with DJI now as looks like this will have to be returned. Have email european support. So that will be bought beginning of august had about a dozen short flights fault, crash so send it away get it back fault will have to send it away and likely will be another two weeks without anything to fly!

I tried using an iPad Mini 4 (non-cellular) for a couple weeks but had to recalibrate compass on the tablet at least once per flight. Flying in the same areas I don't get the prompt unless I sit the controller or drone down on something metallic, as soon as I move both a few feet away from metal the prompt goes away.

Thanks.

when you are doing the compass calibration is it possible something on or about you is metal?
watch, chain, ring , keychain etc.
over time I saw one guy found his apple watch was at fault for almost same situation.

is so the calibration will take that metal into account when setting.

then when you fly away--from said metal/etc. it will then get error.

this is just one possible reason for your experience

when you are doing the compass calibration is it possible something on or about you is metal?
over time I saw one guy found his apple watch was at fault for almost same situation.

He posted saying his A/C has 1.9.6 firmware. As most by now know, that firmware version t requestis responsible for some shady issues. He really should send it in for repair, or return it to where it was purchased.

When I first got my P3P it took it out to the runway shown in my avatar in my Polaris Ranger. Used to do the same thing with my P2 to get away from the metal buildings near my house. P3P said I needed to calibrate the compass. Ok, fine. but it wouldn't let me calibrate until I got about 3m away from the ranger. Then the calibration went fine. Since then I haven't calibrated it unless it told me that it needed it. Finally realized the reason it was telling me to do it was because I was near ferrous objects, like my truck or the pole barn or the ranger. I even took it 150 miles up to my son's lake place over Labor Day and didn't need calibration because I wasn't near any ferrous material. So now I adhere to the "get a good calibration and stick to it" theory. I think I probably would re-calibrate if I went a long ways away, but 150 miles didn't need it.

So just did another compass calibration with no metal watch 3m away from my rc unit. Straight up and same compass error I have a duff unit again.

He posted saying his A/C has 1.9.6 firmware. As most by now know, that firmware version t requestis responsible for some shady issues. He really should send it in for repair, or return it to where it was purchased.

ok
really did not realize the specifics on that FW.

I always update all devices and other than the fw with battery issue haven't any problems at all.

I am on the latest FW myself without problems.
my quad is an original from 2015 though

I am just offering suggestions that may help.

I am seeing though many getting new compass and legs to fix this on some
$10.00 for leg with compass an some ar just swapping the actual board inside leg shell

remember all the discussion back in the P2+ days when they came out with the NEW ANTI static compass....

Last edited:
So just did another compass calibration with no metal watch 3m away from my rc unit. Straight up and same compass error I have a duff unit again.

worth a try anyhow.
FWIW
I have seem a few post that replacing the compass seems to be a fix for SOME.
one guy said the old compass he removed was not same circuitry as replacement.
may have had a batch of crap compass boards out there.

ok
really did not realize the specifics on that FW.

I always update all devices and other than the fw with battery issue haven't any problems at all.

I am on the latest FW myself without problems.
my quad is an original from 2015 though

I am just offering suggestions that may help.

I am seeing though many getting new compass and legs to fix this on some
$10.00 for leg with compass an some ar just swapping the actual board inside leg shell

remember all the discussion back in the P2+ days when they came out with the NEW ANTI static compass....

The P2V+ alone taught many of us to wait a minimum 10-14 days before even considering adding an update connected to dji.

I stopping updating my P3P a little over a year ago on 1.4.1.

Flying at home in western Canada, I get them once in a while, but mostly flying in the mountains. I've been in Greenland for 2 weeks and get them all the time (i.e. Every few seconds depending on where I am). Did a compass calibration before my first flight here and it was crappy. Did a couple more in different places and things got better. Last one was done on a sand beach and it's been okay. Still get the errors, but not too bad. I think flying over areas with high iron content can cause problems (volcanic rock, etc). I've been flying off of a boat in the ocean out around big icebergs for a few days and have gotten the errors a bunch but I just ignore them now.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl