Do you forget to remove the camera lock?

All the time.
"What's that buzzing noise? Oh yeah."

I have it on my preflight checklist so I haven't forgotten before a flight yet, but I always forget when I'm hooking up to the PC to calibrate or update FW.

I thought about getting one of these to attach to the gimbal lock.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ight%20tag

Despite the warning on the screen, I still didn't take the thing off and then discovered the gimbal was hot to the touch. What's worse, I never forget to remove covers from pitot tubes. Those covers gave me the idea for the ribbon thing. So far, 100% effective.

cahutch said:
I though about getting one of these to attach to the gimbal lock.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ight%20tag

I have those... nice tags

But then I started thinking... I never travel with my phantom... it never gets banged around... never gets put in a case... When I go out flying it's a specific outing just for flying... so my baby gets gently carried out to the car and loaded with all the other Quads and remotes and batteries lovingly set in their proper spots with care... and same at the field ... and when done... gently carried back in the house and put back on display on the flight desk in the man cave...

:|

So i stopped using that stupid gimbal lock... to much hassle and tweaking to get it right and it doesn't help a **** thing... "in my set of circumstances of course" :ugeek:

I can see the point of the whole thing for the ones who may need it... but for me it's just a nuisance...

i just got my Phantom, did't fly it, still trying to set it up. having problems adding the dji visin app to my samsung 10" tablet. not compatible. and i already forgot to take out the lock already. just got some tape and put it on my lock. already learning with your site.

I never forget it anymore :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 529
Its the part of my pre-flight check list where I go "****, did it again".

Nice tags..unfortunately with them on they wouldn't sit in my case too well. I have forgotten but eventually it will be second nature to always remove before powering on. Just routine.

I have it one both my phantoms and in the case it fits ok :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 442
Too much hassle to even fit the gimbal lock IMO. Also, if not extremely careful when fitting or removing it, could maybe even cause damage to the gimbal perhaps?

I just added a suitably cut piece of very soft sponge to my flight case such that it gently rests against cam and gimbal when phantom is put in the case. This nicely inhibits the gimbal free movement whilst transporting/storing. No need to remember to fit/remove that stupid lock clamp or lens cap IMO.

PS a good tip for cleanly cutting any sponge or foam rubber etc. Use an electric kitchen carving knife. I made my own custom padded case out of a cheap plastic storage box. Works a treat!

Regards

Peter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 395
M.Tigelaar said:
I never forget it anymore :cool:
****, i want a black phantom! Any links to your painting process? Is it possible to do this job without removing the guts inside? Removing the top no problem... the guts??? not sure it's worth it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31