Do you fly waypoints? Why?

Reaction score
I know it's best to alway fly line of sight. However, where I live we have lots of tall trees and a lot of tidal water via the bay to lots and lots of rivers. So, I fly a lot of the rivers using autonomous flying with my way points. In order to be safe I have to do a lot of checks and calculations. Battery time is a key factor. The other is plotting my course as to keep as clear as I can from objects such as houses, boats docked and other such objects. I have been doing this type of flying for over a year now and I wonder if many of you have to fly waypoint to and your thoughts.

The great thing about flying way points is concentrating more on the camera work and less on the flying.

The only time I need to fly way points is over large parcels of land where I need to get video of the planted vegetation and am likely to lose FPV wifi signal due to low-level flight distance. There is no possibility of my bird going down and injuring anyone in the locations that I fly while doing this type of observation.

I abut a large swampy track (alligators and snakes). When waypoints first came out and I was learning to use the feature I set up a few waypoints that overfly an old 4-wheeler track through the area. It has kind of a "little dipper" shape. Sometimes I"ll just use the waypoint track home knowing that the drone is now overflying the (seldom if ever used) 4-wheeler track to minimize search-and-retrieve time if I ever have a battery issue or catastrophic loss of lift.

Sort of a poor-mans STAR....

I just got my P3, but I'm planning to use them to fly the same route throughout the year to capture the changing seasons. I'm thinking that could make some cool videos and footage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31