Do you dare to use left throttle stick 100% to descent faster?

So then how does that video prove anything with the P3 since it is a different bird, different controller, different software,etc.

Page 46 of either manual illustrates CSC combinations.

If this is your first Phantom I can see why you'd be skeptical due to lack of experience with past model(s).

The myth probably comes from a bit of truth. While holding left stick fully down never shut off the motors you did risk your phantom going into vortex ring state because it was coming down too fast and washed any "good" air out from under your props and phantoms did fall out of the sky (Google vortex ring state it's too long winded to go into now). Over a year ago dji through firmware updates reduced the descent speed so VRS didn't happen anymore. I'm sure it is still maybe theoretically possible but we don't hear of it on phantoms that have the descent speed limited but even when if happened the motors never shut off.

Actually, I just got used to the throttle/yaw stick on the remote locking in down position (on the upgraded P2V controller) and was a bit surprised that the P3's controller doesn't do that. :)

- Roger

Yeah I found the locking on the v3 useful but it did take a few flights to get used to remembering to keep an eye on the phantom. It's too easy to lock it from a few hundred meters and look around and forget. Think I prefer the non locking

Yeah I found the locking on the v3 useful but it did take a few flights to get used to remembering to keep an eye on the phantom. It's too easy to lock it from a few hundred meters and look around and forget. Think I prefer the non locking
I agree with you.

Its not true. the naza v2 flight computer from DJI has a "immediate" mode that can do this, however the phantom 3 will never do this. It also wont ever get into a vortex bowl, since DJI reduced the descent speed to prevent this from happening.
Go as wild on the sticks as you like, on standard settings anyway.

They also slightly turned the motors on the P3's to help prevent VRS. You can look at them to see they are not dead on straight like the P2's. Very cool imo! The return to home landing uses 100% down throttle too. Just food for thought.

Not true. I have had a few low battery emergencies fighting back against the wind and have dropped down from 100 to 3 feet in about 2 secs. Lol. Happy flying brother! No worries!

The inward angled motors create dihedral like upward angled airplane wings. This creates stability and a bit of self-leveling.
Not sure it really has any effect on VRS. I could find no reference to VRS [abatement] in any docs. I found on the subject.

Doesn't do anything. I hold it down 100% all the time. Just don't do it in full manual mode unless you know what you're doing.
P3 doesn't have a "full manual" mode. At least not one available to activate in the Pilot app the way you could in the Assistant for the P2.

P3 doesn't have a "full manual" mode. At least not one available to activate in the Pilot app the way you could in the Assistant for the P2.
No body ever needed manual Mode from the p2 and beyond. Very good call not even having it on the p3. No need it's a flying cool camera not a stunt kite

Reactions: rrmccabe
So then how does that video prove anything with the P3 since it is a different bird, different controller, different software,etc.
But those functions are the same.
It's a simple matter to read what the manual says about it.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Reactions: rrmccabe
I don't. Just don't trust it enough and I've already seen it wobble a bit when I'm descending at about 3/4 down.

I've descended the P3 every single time by holding the throttle stick all the way down until its within a reasonable height to slow the descent for final landing. I have never had any issues. If I'm not recording a scene, why waste the time pussyfooting?

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I've descended the P3 every single time by holding the throttle stick all the way down until its within a reasonable height to slow the descent for final landing. I have never had any issues. If I'm not recording a scene, why waste the time pussyfooting?
That's the spirit...

Reactions: fakbik

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl