Do u think it's ok to use a car DC to AC to charge battery?

Reaction score
Re: Do u think it's ok to use a car DC to AC to charge batte

I use this exact same model to charge all 3 of my batteries using a charging bar while in the field. Works a treat

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
I use this exact same model to charge all 3 of my batteries using a charging bar while in the field. Works a treat

And everything is fine with battery life? How about your car battery is it going okay? Do you leave the engine on when you charge and how long does it take?

Thank you!

Usually I'm driving but have left it running for over an hour several times and car battery was normal. I suppose if you had an old battery in your car that wasn't holding its charge too well it might give a problem. It takes the same amount to time to charge as when plugged into the mains supply. I only run my batteries to about 40-50% so it doesn't take too long to charge them again. As soon as I'm finished one battery I put it on charge so I have a continuous supply of powered batteries while on location.

I recently got the bestek as well and its a big thumbs up from me.. Charge time seems no different and im off camping soon so will come in very handy .
Some reviews claim the fan is noisy but doesnt bother me in the slightest.

Previously I would use up my batteries and that was it for the day, but now I can keep playing if I need to.

A DC to AC converter to charge a few LiPo batteries is fine.
I have a little 400W one and it does just fine. The back of DJI's charger show's a 20W power pull. That's well within your inverter's 300W rating and pretty much nothing for a car battery to supply considering that the average car battery is rate for around 500 cranking amps, or about 6,000W at 12VDC.

Charge away.

Green_Phantom said:
I have a little 400W one and it does just fine. The back of DJI's charger show's a 20W power pull. That's well within your inverter's 300W rating and pretty much nothing for a car battery to supply considering that the average car battery is rate for around 500 cranking amps, or about 6,000W at 12VDC.

Charge away.

Thanks man, so I guess this thing beats the phantom car charger that is sold for $100 considering you can also charge other items that do not have a car adapter. I do not understand why anyone would buy the phantom car charger instead of something like this.

Green_Phantom said:

Charge away.

Also one more question.
I have no knowledge of electricity, but if I get a higher power DC to AC converter will the phantom 2 battery charge quicker? Or will it damage the battery overtime.

The one I am looking at is 300W, before I order it I am curious if 400W like you have would be better for quicker charges. Or maybe you could reccomend something else for quicker charge.

Like this one at 500W.
http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inverte ... s=dc+to+ac

helishmeli said:
Green_Phantom said:

Charge away.

Also one more question.
I have no knowledge of electricity, but if I get a higher power DC to AC converter will the phantom 2 battery charge quicker? Or will it damage the battery overtime.

The one I am looking at is 300W, before I order it I am curious if 400W like you have would be better for quicker charges. Or maybe you could reccomend something else for quicker charge.

Like this one at 500W.
http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inverte ... s=dc+to+ac

It won't charge any quicker than the battery charger will let it. The 500W of the inverter is just what it's capable of. Think of it like putting a bigger gas tank in your car. You're not going to magically have more power because you have a bigger gas tank. Sort of the same concept with a bigger inverter. Your load (the battery charger) is only going to draw 20 watts from the inverter no matter how big it is. You could slap a 2,000 watt inverter in your car to plug the charger into and it wouldn't make a difference. You could however now run 100 chargers off that 2,000 watt charger compared to only 15 off the 300 watt one.

Don't do that though. :)

What would be better would by a 15 amp power supply to charge 3 batteries off the charging bar instead of the 4mp stock PSU. Yes?

Also one more question.

Nope it wont damage the phantom battery as others have pointed out the charger will not pull more amps then the charger draws.

Tho the bigger the inverter the higher your loses will be on the battery you are using to power it. Being the inverter its self uses power to run its self. and the bigger the inverter the more power it uses just to run its self. So dont go to over board on the inverter. I have a bunch of different inverters. and have done some tests using my 3000 watt one compared to my 400w and a 75 watt one. On the same deep cycle battery the 3000 watt dc to ac inverter will drain my battery's in a few hours even with nothing running on it just from the inverter being turned on and its cooling fans running. My 600w one uses a lot less power to run its self and takes a full day to drain the battery even with nothing or a light load running of it. My tiny 75 watt on uses even less power to run its self no load.

BUT for charging battery's from my deep cycles I get the best efficacy when charging from dc to dc with no inverter used. Being that its not losing as much from conversion lose Going from dc to ac then back to dc in the phantom charger. each step of converting has loses and power is lost as heat.

Tho if going from a dc battery to the phantom 2 battery directly with no charger. the phantom 2 battery's internal charge circuit dont seem to have any step up converter in it so you cant get any higher voltage charge then the voltage of the battery you are charging from happens to be at. at least from what I can tell from the little bit of playing around with them.

So if you start with a fully charged car battery the voltage with one of the car chargers. As long as your battery you are drawing from is still fully charged it will have higher voltage then the phantoms battery needs to take a full charge of around 12.56ish volts. But as your car battery starts to drain below that you will only be able to get about as high as what ever voltage the car battery is at. So your first few charges might be fine and give you a full charge . Then you might not get full charges once the car battery starts to get drained. and you might need to run your engine to recharge the battery which most alternators will put out about 14.4v to 14.8 volts. Which will charge your car battery back up and still have enough power to charge your phantom 2 battery.

I just used this same inverter last weekend while I was camping and it performed flawlessly. Great little - and I mean little - inverter for the price.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic