Do this before you loose it............

Reaction score
I have just been reading a few topics about fly-away's. All ways sad to read about ones pride and joy going missing.

What does surprise me though is so many people do not mark their aircraft when they get it new. Ok probably teaching granma to suck eggs for most of you but some newbies, and perhaps some who have had theirs for some time its probably not crossed their minds.

I have one of those labeling machines. I simply print out labels that say "Reward 012345678" what ever your telephone number is. I put one on the Drone itself. A tiny one inside the slot where the battery goes, just in case someone knicks it and you need to prove its yours. One on the battery and one underneath the remote control.

Think about it. You go into your garden tomorrow. You find this expensive looking device......... how do you know who it belongs to? or how to contact them etc?

The other thing I do is open up a .TXT file, almost every computer can open these on notepad etc. I then write a few simple lines of text. For example

"Thank you for finding my drone. It has no value as it will not work without the linked remote control. However I would be more than happy to give you a reward for returning it for you time and trouble. If you could give me a call please on 000000000000432 etc. My name is xyz. I will be only to happy to come and collect it.

Thanks once again for your honesty.

I then put this file onto my sim card/s. Keeping a copy on my computer in case I format the SD card.

The vast majority of people will return your stuff if they find it................. if only they knew who to contact.

Take my advice. Its better to do it and think it was a waste of time than end up saying "I wish I had done that"

Ohh and for those of you in the UK. You can always mark it with 'Smart Water' too, just in case.

FrankC

Good suggestions. Thanks. I'm now off to .............................;)

On the other hand, a friend said he would never put his details on the a/c because if it hit someone / something he can't be sued for damage or personal injury. My reply was, if you are insured by the BMFA (UK) that would cover you.

Besides that, I wonder if someone found the a/c, could it be traced back to you in some way even if your details were not on it?

Last edited:
once_upon_a_time_in_the_west__opening__left_right_eyes.gif

On the other hand, a friend said he would never put his details on the a/c because if it hit someone / something he can't be sued for damage or personal injury. My reply was, if you are insured by the BMFA (UK) that would cover you.

Besides that, I wonder if someone found the a/c, could it be traced back to you in some way even if your details were not on it?

Who would take the time? People tend to be inherently lazy, and perhaps a bit greedy. If they think they can make a few quid by making a quick phone call and someone will do the rest they will do it.

As for tracking you if you hit someone something, then they will find you because the police etc will help.

Reactions: deltamike
Folks here have been putting their info on heir birds since I have been here. Not just in case it get's missing and you are lucky enough for someone to find it and return it but in case you do hit/injury someone .
What you hit someone with your car you gonna run off .We call that Hit and Run here .
Man up and be responsible for your actions guys .
Just saying .

Folks here have been putting their info on heir birds since I have been here. Not just in case it get's missing and you are lucky enough for someone to find it and return it but in case you do hit/injury someone .
What you hit someone with your car you gonna run off .We call that Hit and Run here .
Man up and be responsible for your actions guys .
Just saying .
I agree. But not everyone thinks of doing it. How many have said they have tried leafleting the area in an attempt to find their drone? If their phone number is on it then they would have no need. Just in case you are worried about an accident and being easily traced then buy yourself a cheap burn phone. I will leave the rest to your imagination. :)

Reactions: deltamike
If honest people find your drone, having your information on the drone will help them get it back to you.

If dishonest people find it, it doesn't matter whether you mark it or not.

Always assume that if you hit someone or something with it, and you don't have your name on it, they can track you down via the serial number from DJI.

If honest people find your drone, having your information on the drone will help them get it back to you.

If dishonest people find it, it doesn't matter whether you mark it or not.

Always assume that if you hit someone or something with it, and you don't have your name on it, they can track you down via the serial number from DJI.

Nicely put. :D

Reactions: mike357
I'll take my chances that an honest person finds it. It's most likely going to be damaged so nobody's gonna want it, except the insurance adjuster that gets the claim.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 605
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 620

Oh yeah it can be traced. I think this whole forced registration thing dji is doing has a lot to do with pairing devices with their owners. I believe you also have to log in at least once every 3 months. That's so that if the quad changes hands the new owner will now be paired with that device. That's the only thing that explains why you have to log in regularly. It's not so that the proper "geospatial" parameters are in place or whatever. It doesn't need to know who you are to know where you are. It has GPS, it knows where you are and the rules of the road are the same for everybody so why would they need you to log in to determine nfz's in real time.

Oh yeah it can be traced. I think this whole forced registration thing dji is doing has a lot to do with pairing devices with their owners.

Like a car or a cell phone. or a product with a registered warranty or your login to this forum. What nefarious purpose do you believe this would be for?

I believe you also have to log in at least once every 3 months.

I haven't heard that, but it would make sense if you consider that the NFZ's can't update without Internet access.

That's so that if the quad changes hands the new owner will now be paired with that device. That's the only thing that explains why you have to log in regularly.

Well, the only thing you can fathom.

It doesn't need to know who you are to know where you are.

No, but again, logging in forces you to connect Go to the Internet . . . which is needed to update the NFZs. If you're really paranoid, register with fake information. If a dummy like me can think of that, pretty good bet a gaggle of engineers did.

It has GPS, it knows where you are and the rules of the road are the same for everybody so why would they need you to log in to determine nfz's in real time.

They probably don't need you to login, but they do need you to connect Go to the Internet to update the NFZs. A login is a means of achieving that.

I'm just saying, there's an entire world out there beyond what any single person perceives. Anything is possible, but consider which of those possibilities is realistic.

I just crashed mine up in forest next to a fire tower. I was 4000+ feet away running a litchi mission. Lucky for me some school kids saw it hit the trees and rescued it for me before I climbed up the hill. I just ordered some GPS dog tags which should be the trick if nobody sees where it went next time. The crazy thing is as soon as the quad hit the tree it stopped transmitting and never reconnected even though the motors and gimbal were active and on all the time until I grabbed it and pulled the battery. It would not shutoff so I had to pull the battery. After replacing the gimbal mount and yaw arm it's back in service and good to go.

Reactions: Duchunter
I have just been reading a few topics about fly-away's. All ways sad to read about ones pride and joy going missing.

What does surprise me though is so many people do not mark their aircraft when they get it new. Ok probably teaching granma to suck eggs for most of you but some newbies, and perhaps some who have had theirs for some time its probably not crossed their minds.

I have one of those labeling machines. I simply print out labels that say "Reward 012345678" what ever your telephone number is. I put one on the Drone itself. A tiny one inside the slot where the battery goes, just in case someone knicks it and you need to prove its yours. One on the battery and one underneath the remote control.

Think about it. You go into your garden tomorrow. You find this expensive looking device......... how do you know who it belongs to? or how to contact them etc?

The other thing I do is open up a .TXT file, almost every computer can open these on notepad etc. I then write a few simple lines of text. For example

"Thank you for finding my drone. It has no value as it will not work without the linked remote control. However I would be more than happy to give you a reward for returning it for you time and trouble. If you could give me a call please on 000000000000432 etc. My name is xyz. I will be only to happy to come and collect it.

Thanks once again for your honesty.

I then put this file onto my sim card/s. Keeping a copy on my computer in case I format the SD card.

The vast majority of people will return your stuff if they find it................. if only they knew who to contact.

Take my advice. Its better to do it and think it was a waste of time than end up saying "I wish I had done that"

Ohh and for those of you in the UK. You can always mark it with 'Smart Water' too, just in case.

FrankC
Great point! I labeled mine when I first got it. I can't afford the loss as it took a lot of scraping and digging to buy this drone. By the way, I'm hooked, lol

Reactions: Frankc

Did exactly that the day my P4P+ was delivered with a
similar message and basic contact info.
Also printed it out on sticky back paper and shrunk it to
fit in the bottom of the P4P+ Battery tray as well as on
each battery.

Jerry

Mine is marked enough to find me although not fully up to Canadian rules, I'm not putting my address on a thousand dollar toy so some crackhead can know the exact address of someone who buys thousand dollar toys. They can call me and I'll meet them some where and give em a fidy to buy "food" or whatever.

I just crashed mine up in forest next to a fire tower. I was 4000+ feet away running a litchi mission. Lucky for me some school kids saw it hit the trees and rescued it for me before I climbed up the hill. I just ordered some GPS dog tags which should be the trick if nobody sees where it went next time. The crazy thing is as soon as the quad hit the tree it stopped transmitting and never reconnected even though the motors and gimbal were active and on all the time until I grabbed it and pulled the battery. It would not shutoff so I had to pull the battery. After replacing the gimbal mount and yaw arm it's back in service and good to go.

Just ordered some GPS dog tags? Not by any chance those round TrackR, or what ever they are called, waste of time. I thought they were just the right size to go on my drone etc. Put bluntly they are NOT gps. I put one on my keys and I could not find them in the next room. You have to be withing feet of what you have lost to set off the whistle/beep what ever it is.

Read these reviews Amazon.com: TrackR bravo - Bluetooth Tracking Device. Key Tracker. Phone Finder. Wallet Locator. Generation 2, Silver: Electronics IGNORE their excellent selling blurb. Its fantasy. IGNORE the reviews they have obviously put up themselves.

Just think about how far your bluetooth works........

Its range and battery life................ I am sure you can make up the rest :)

Last edited:
I put my phone number on the top of the Drone when I first got it with a black marker. With several days left under warranty it disconnected.I live and fly over a golf course and over the fence I went to find it. Could not locate it.
Several hours later I get a phone call that it had landed in her back yard and she would put it on her front porch for me to pick up.I had marked reward on top with the phone number but she did not ask for one. I sent it into DJI and it was repaired at no cost. The point is this : No phone number no Drone to send into DJI.

The Canadian Rules are not yet law...IIRC.
Like you said I will not put my personal info on my Drone
just to find out my house had been emptied while I was out
or have someone waiting for me inside because they think
I have $$$ because I own an expensive drone.

Jerry

Reactions: BCBasher
The Canadian Rules are not yet law...IIRC.
Like you said I will not put my personal info on my Drone
just to find out my house had been emptied while I was out
or have someone waiting for me inside because they think
I have $$$ because I own an expensive drone.

Jerry
Blimey where do you live? Sounds very dodgy. I don't even lock my doors. Then again I do have a Doberman and an even worse wife standing guard. (just thought id add that quickly in case you decide to move house near me) Id hate to live in a place where you fear being done all the time.

Just looked up the crime statistics for my area in 2015 & 2016 0% burglars. 0% drugs. Criminal damage and arson 0% Possession of weapons 0% However we did have this :- ******** England had 1 instances of Violence and sexual offences in 5 years. Perhaps someone landed a drone in their garden :D

Last edited:
What kind of dog tags did you get and how did you attach them?
Nice story otherwise...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20