Do The Props Get Quieter With Use ????

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on this.

I have to fly at above 250 feet before I can't hear it fly over myself. Seems really high (and my ears suck!!) !! Will they quiet down with use or get worse ?? I'd really like to be a little more stealthy ...

No, certainly not to any appreciable extent. Most people will easily hear the AC at 250ft absent significant other noise contributions.

Mine are noisy out to about 350 feet. I don't think they'll get any quieter. Have to move less air which means smaller prop or a slower spin speed. There are stealth normal helicopter blades out there which have an odd shaped airfoil to minimize noise, but DJI hasn't gone there yet. TheP4 really winds up to a high speed. I think I RPM'ed mine at around 3,090 RPM +/-50RPM between the four motors.

I'm not fond of hearing it directly overhead either. Don't know why it bothers me, but looking up and down at the screen and back up at it over me gives me a bit of vertigo. Eye doc thinks it's because I got "old man eyes" where the droopy lids and lashes call for me to tilt my head back further to see it overhead, and the sludgy decades old ear canal fluid tickling the calcified and hardened hair triggers in the canal lead to it. He wants me to get a lid-lift or whatever they call it which might help. Dunno.

6acf5882f328df96e81521b7a3b0633c.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard mine beyond half a mile on occasion and even when the background noise level is pretty high I can pretty much always here it to at least 150 feet. You can here your PC fans even though they spin much slower, are much smaller, and are designed with quiet as a priority so expecting the drone props to be silent is asking a lot.

Brian

And uhh what would be the reason/science on why you think they'll get quieter with use??
Reason/Science ????? What's that got to do with HOPE!

My thought process WAS, There are people that see these in the air and their first thought is you must be doing something wrong. I'd like to tick off the masses a little less.

Reason/Science ????? What's that got to do with HOPE!

My thought process WAS, There are people that see these in the air and their first thought is you must be doing something wrong. I'd like to tick off the masses a little less.

StanMI.......This has also happened to me. Part of the stigma associated with the public's general negative attitude is STIRED UP, when they see and HEAR a "drone", due to the unique "mosquito swarm" noise the quad creates. When flying, I have been ask several times if I have a license to "fly that thing." When I flew fixed wing RC aircraft, no one ever asked if I had a license. Fixed wing are socially accepted where as drones are not accepted, yet. Something like the first cars not being accepted, until everybody had one.

The noise level you hear depends a lot on wind direction and speed.

If you're talking about design then larger, slower props may be quieter - but the arms have to be longer and heavier. I don't know if that would result in enough reduced noise to be worth it. (Or rather to get a significant drop in noise you might need impractically large props and the motors might have trouble changing RPM rapidly enough).

Ducted fans would be much quieter - but are heavier. They're ideal for quadcopters as the static thrust is higher than props. Safety would be better as well.

I can only hear mine when it's nearby or overhead when I get it up around 200ft and fly it with some pace it only draws attention if it's very quiet. I've flown it over a crowded park and only a few heads turned to find the noise. One reason I love the range so that people can't see me to ask stupid questions.

Reactions: Starman1224
I'd love to be able to play 'Ride of the Valkyries' from my drone and freak people out...lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd love to be able to play 'Ride of the Valkyries' from my drone and freak people out...lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With today's compact and powerful speakers I'm sure it's feasible.

Mine has gotten much quieter in the last few years P2s and P4P. At my age though it is attributed to hearing loss.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan