Do the new P4 batteries need conditioning?

Other than capacity are the P4 batteries much different from the P3?

My P3 batteries were charged and used down to just under 10% charge almost always and still maintained good life and showed 100% healthy on Healthy Drones after 50+ flights.

Never followed any 50% rules.

I do not believe P4 batteries need conditioning, they are activated in the factory and would go through various charge cycles to ensure that the battery is working and at full capacity and no cells are showing bad signs.

I would believe it is is already pre-condition for use.

When I got my Vision+ I purchased 4 batteries total. The two that came included with the bird I just used with reckless abandon. Flew them down to 10% (sometimes less) all the time. Packs 3 & 4 I did the "baby 'em for 10 cycles" routine. Two years later packs 1 & 2 are going strong & I still use them with my Vision+. Packs 3 & 4, the babied packs, have both failed & cannot be trusted to fly. I had to replace both packs.

The infamous pack #3 caused my Vision+ to go down twice. Once in an inexplicable decent into the treetops when it was only a few months old, & more recently when I was forced to make an emergency landing on a remote island after only 5 minutes of flight on a full pack. It was fortunate I was near this island or the Vision+ would have been lost in the Bay. Pack #4 was responsible for an unexpected auto-landing 1500' from home on an autonomous mission when the battery auto-landed after only 14 minutes of flight (normally I get 18-20 for P2 batteries & pack 4 actually flew earlier the same day for 20 minutes). There was no benefit from babying & both of these packs are now marked "Do Not Fly!"

DJI warrants their batteries for six months. Further, the batteries include Smart technology. If theories like "only discharge a battery to 50% for the first 10 cycles" or "don't discharge batteries below 30%" were important to the life of the packs, then DJI could have implemented this automatically like they do with auto-discharging the batteries down to 60-65% every 10 days.

Since when Chinese instructions are complete, well traduced and don't lack information. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Erised
[QUOTE="Dirty Bird, post: 751615, member: 9880"

DJI warrants their batteries for six months. Further, the batteries include Smart technology. If theories like "only discharge a battery to 50% for the first 10 cycles" or "don't discharge batteries below 30%" were important to the life of the packs, then DJI could have implemented this automatically like they do with auto-discharging the batteries down to 60-65% every 10 days.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Dirty bird

Do iPhones, iPad or even my electric BMW (or any EV) that has 400 lbs of LiPo batteries need to be 'broken in? Nope. If they needed it and these very expensive devices did not provide for it automatically then you would have heard about the huge class action lawsuits.

Just because someone stated it as fact on a website does not make it fact. It's physics and chemistry. Not medicine or witchcraft

Probably the ones who wrote the battery info I posted, with link.
Haha... well, of course :D

It's not official documentation from DJI. Anyone can throw up a webpage on the Internet ;)

Reactions: wa1ter
I think it's the same with breaking in a car. Some people are old fashion and still think you need to break in new cars. You dont! With the tech in these things now a days. I don't think it's really a must to have a certain break in cycle of charge drain to "X" % and repeat. I wouldn't charge and drain to 3% the very first few flights but also don't think you have to land at 50% for the first 10 flights either

When I got my Vision+ I purchased 4 batteries total. The two that came included with the bird I just used with reckless abandon. Flew them down to 10% (sometimes less) all the time. Packs 3 & 4 I did the "baby 'em for 10 cycles" routine. Two years later packs 1 & 2 are going strong & I still use them with my Vision+. Packs 3 & 4, the babied packs, have both failed & cannot be trusted to fly. I had to replace both packs.

The infamous pack #3 caused my Vision+ to go down twice. Once in an inexplicable decent into the treetops when it was only a few months old, & more recently when I was forced to make an emergency landing on a remote island after only 5 minutes of flight on a full pack. It was fortunate I was near this island or the Vision+ would have been lost in the Bay. Pack #4 was responsible for an unexpected auto-landing 1500' from home on an autonomous mission when the battery auto-landed after only 14 minutes of flight (normally I get 18-20 for P2 batteries & pack 4 actually flew earlier the same day for 20 minutes). There was no benefit from babying & both of these packs are now marked "Do Not Fly!"

DJI warrants their batteries for six months. Further, the batteries include Smart technology. If theories like "only discharge a battery to 50% for the first 10 cycles" or "don't discharge batteries below 30%" were important to the life of the packs, then DJI could have implemented this automatically like they do with auto-discharging the batteries down to 60-65% every 10 days.
The biggest issue affecting Li-Po is temperature, anytime a Li-Po is discharged at over 50 Celsius, it will affect it's lifetime, and if it is discharged at over 60 Celsius it can cause failure, also they should never be stored at under 20% voltage or at 100% for any extended period of times. The only way you can improve cycle numbers and lifetime that was proven by research, is by only charging them to 90% and not discharging under 15-20%, this will increase the number of cycles dramatically "over 100%", and overall total flight time per cell, in exchange for less flight time per flight 10-15%(I don't do that with drones but i do it with tablets and cell phones). I do test my batteries in the first couple flights by monitoring voltage of cells and avoiding to discharge under 35-50% for the first couple flights, because a slight imbalance and voltage drop of 1 bad cell from factory at over 35-50% will probably not cause the aircraft to crash, while if that voltage drop happen under 35% the craft might just drop from the sky...

So many theories about batteries and the correct procedures for care. I've tried them all, babying many battery over the years. I'm unconvinced with all this 'charge to 100%, don't go below 50% for the first 10 cycles stuff'. If it was important it would say so in the manufacturers blurb and it does not. I think it's just a question of people making themselves feel like they're doing the best for their equipment when the reality is it doesn't make a tangible difference at all.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

more recently when I was forced to make an emergency landing on a remote island after only 5 minutes of flight on a full pack.
That's where you were for so long ;)
Nov12.jpg

Hahahaha, is all good guys, I was not trying to pick a fight or being disrespectful
I never conditioned the battery for my P3 and it works fine. Im conditioning the one from my P4 but honestly I dont know if it will make any difference

Last edited:
Ahhh. Someone remembers Gilligan's Islands.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: m0j0
I remember and still say Mary Ann

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Please Ginger my beef. Hahaha
image.jpeg

oh yeah...... ;-)

RedHotPoker

I only have 5 P3 Lipo batteries. I "conditioned" 2... One of them never made it past the third flight...... I returned it due to a bad cell. I have not. seen any difference between the performance of the batteries. So again.. Just fly the thing. No need to add more to the checklist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic