Do prop guards work?

I won't give you grief about it. Just wish there weren't labor-intensive screws to attach them.

Maybe this is for another post but better carbon fiber prop guards than carbon fiber props. Am I wrong to suggest that the stiffness of carbon fiber props transmits the force of an impact to the motors instead of the self-sacrificing plastic props? Maybe it matters if you're at 3' vs 30'.....

I've had my shell open twice. And yes, labor intensive is just what I mean. To take out the PV2 out of the pelican case, decide it's a good day to use the guards, put them on, and then take them back off (and keep track of the smaller screws needed in their place) to get it stowed back in the pelican case? PITA.

Phantasmic said:
mduehmig said:
I won't give you grief about it. Just wish there weren't labor-intensive screws to attach them. .

When did removing 8 screws and installing 8 new screws become "labor intensive"?

You are going to really freak out if you ever have to open the Phantom shell.

My shell has been open several dozen times, and right now my phantom is sitting entirely disassembled as I'm replacing the motherboard and most of the servo wiring. I think removing and installing motor screws on a case by case basis is a total PITA; for me that's not a day-of-flight decision. If I had prop guards, they'd ether be on all the time until I decided I no longer wanted to deal with them, or vice versa. Just my $0.02!

ElGuano said:
Phantasmic said:
mduehmig said:
I won't give you grief about it. Just wish there weren't labor-intensive screws to attach them. .

When did removing 8 screws and installing 8 new screws become "labor intensive"?

You are going to really freak out if you ever have to open the Phantom shell.

My shell has been open several dozen times, and right now my phantom is sitting entirely disassembled as I'm replacing the motherboard and most of the servo wiring. I think removing and installing motor screws on a case by case basis is a total PITA; for me that's not a day-of-flight decision. If I had prop guards, they'd ether be on all the time until I decided I no longer wanted to deal with them, or vice versa. Just my $0.02!

+1

That's it Guano! Right now, in thier current design, they are either on or off. I don't want to have to make that decision on a cold windswept day on an open field. It is enough of a PITA when working on the work bench. I want to fly and take pictures, not mess with tiny ¥££€#€! screwdrivers.

I'm a n00b flyer and like having the guards on. The only time I think I'll take them off in the near future is when I pack everything into the hardcase for a flight to NZ.

Interested to know if anybody has tried the carbon fibre or glass fibre ones for sale on Ebay.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1