Do NOT fly in high winds

Tip: If you can not determine the bird's orientation but can still see it, push forward on the forward/ backwards stick. Then whichever way the bird flies, gradually move the yaw stick in that direction until you see the bird turn toward you. Then continue foward stick until bird arrives.

I think that is pretty much what I ended up doing. The video was a good explanation of why it worked, and it's something I will practice along with flying without the benefit of the GPS to keep its position.
Thanks for that.

Why don't people use the little radar circle on the bottom of the screen to show you which way your bird is pointing? Look at your flight path on the main display and it will show you the trail that is has gone and which way it is going........

The radar is something I need to look into. I have used the flightpath to plot a route when I have lost video feed.
The problem I have currently is I don't have a sun shield for my tablet and it can be difficult to see important details on the screen easily. I was too worried to take my eyes off the Phantom to look at the screen for any length of time as it would have been near impossible to locate it again in the sky.
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" and I haven't been able to find a sun shield to fit it yet.
I have been contemplating making my own to get me by until I find a suitable one.

Why don't people use the little radar circle on the bottom of the screen to show you which way your bird is pointing? Look at your flight path on the main display and it will show you the trail that is has gone and which way it is going........

I always keep an eye on that whatever is happening, in case of a problem it gives an idea of location as well if you have cached maps.

The radar is something I need to look into. I have used the flightpath to plot a route when I have lost video feed.
The problem I have currently is I don't have a sun shield for my tablet and it can be difficult to see important details on the screen easily. I was too worried to take my eyes off the Phantom to look at the screen for any length of time as it would have been near impossible to locate it again in the sky.
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" and I haven't been able to find a sun shield to fit it yet.
I have been contemplating making my own to get me by until I find a suitable one.

I have the same problem, again Galaxy Tab, do a bit of "Blue Peter" mechanics with a cereal box and a black permanent marker, great for a temporary job. Looking for suitable plastic to make a permanent one.

Those may not be seen depending on screen glare plus it's always a good idea to know how to fly with stick and rudder vs a fragile video screen.

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Here is an idea. Don't fly in high winds..WTF

Never fly in high winds. 15mph is about what I would say is max. Always fly into the wind and return with it.
The Phantom will not be able to fly into strong winds at normal speeds and may even drift away from you.
You got very lucky my friend! Hopefully lesson learned. ;)

Plus one for this on all points. I always try to fly into the wind on the way out so It is at my back, so to speak, on the return. However when you go up winds can be stronger and blow in a different direction. So If I am having return problems I try to drop as low as safely possible. Not only is there less winds at a low altitude most of the time its usually then blowing in the right direction too.

I look at the map and can see which way the nose is pointing. Then fly back alone the yellow brick road. Why is radar better?

Just on an obscure note I am actually flying in the area where Radar was developed in the war. :)

I look at the map and can see which way the nose is pointing. Then fly back alone the yellow brick road. Why is radar better?

Just on an obscure note I am actually flying in the area where Radar was developed in the war. :)

As the dji aren't fitted with Radar (yet) I'm assuming people are referring to the in App "Radar screen" which you already use. Malvern is a lovely area for some flying.

If you're gonna fly in such conditions, which isn't a good thing to begin with, it's best not to go on a max height long distance run, true lol. Keep the bird low and fairly close. A couple hundred feet away and 50 feet up is the longest leash I'd keep it on, but I consider those conditions a no fly day, period. I did fly yesterday in gusty 15mph conditions on a short leash just to continue to learn how the phantom behaves and practice controlling it when it gets bullied in the wind. I also landed it in the parking lot, no hand catch. I think 15mph is all I would fly anything in. It's not particularly fun and is stressful if you're just looking to go and casually fly.
I have tried the leash when testing after repairing remote.. just do not test the RTH mode while on a leash? because it will try to ascend to RTH height and then it would go crazy?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic