Do NOT fly in high winds

Reaction score
Wind speed 20mph, gust 35 mph. Decided to go fly anyway. Went 400 ft, flew about half mile and lost signal. No worry I thought, it will return home. Waited 5 minutes, start panicking. No signals on GO app. Then signal came and bird was still far, far away. Tried to guide bird in but moving very slow. Lost signal again. 40 % battery left at this point. Hopped into car and headed toward bird. Signal came back as I got closer. Brought bird down to 200 ft (less wind?), heard the buzzing sound and spotted the bird. It was right over cemetary. Successfully touchdown with 17% battery left.

Lesson learned. Will never fly in high winds again, at least not long distance.

Scary ! Dam wind is pain don't think I will be flying mine much in the UK over the next few months as winter draws in, glad you got yours back anyways

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Never fly in high winds. 15mph is about what I would say is max. Always fly into the wind and return with it.
The Phantom will not be able to fly into strong winds at normal speeds and may even drift away from you.
You got very lucky my friend! Hopefully lesson learned. ;)

I've flown in 20mph gusting to 35mph and it is exciting and a little scary. It's amazing to watch the P3 hovering - how hard it has to work. But of course I would never think of just flying down wind and hoping I could make it back. I start those flights by flying upwind. It is awesome watching it fly at 65-70mph though. Amazing.

Glad you got yours back.

Last edited:
I fly in high winds all the time, but in that Im USING that wind to get the distance I need. Very ofter wind is far less closer to the ground. So I go high to catch a draft, and return low out of the wind. Very good when you need to get somewhere quick! But you have to understand weather, wind patterns, and battery usage rates!

If you're gonna fly in such conditions, which isn't a good thing to begin with, it's best not to go on a max height long distance run, true lol. Keep the bird low and fairly close. A couple hundred feet away and 50 feet up is the longest leash I'd keep it on, but I consider those conditions a no fly day, period. I did fly yesterday in gusty 15mph conditions on a short leash just to continue to learn how the phantom behaves and practice controlling it when it gets bullied in the wind. I also landed it in the parking lot, no hand catch. I think 15mph is all I would fly anything in. It's not particularly fun and is stressful if you're just looking to go and casually fly.

Reactions: bodine
Good to know that exists. I am amused by the number of drone pilots in the UK. So many youtube videos I see are from the UK - a lot from the US, but the UK beats the US in quantity. Y'all must be as bored as we are :)

Well with our weather it is a miracle we get to fly at all. We often get force 9 for 3 weeks solid!
At least we are allowed to fly in our National Parks!!!

I ran a test 2 weeks ago flying the desert, it was calm in town but pretty windy in the desert.

I took the bird up and flew out a few hundred feet. The bird was slowly dropping its altitude and not holding a solid lock, that is seen in the video. I got a bit nervous and returned and landed. Flying out with the wind on the birds back it did easily 35mph. On the way back against the wind it never flew over 25mph. So that was my first lesson flying out a bit and figuring out how slow it was going on return.

I guess in the future you could just tie some string on your bird and if its really, really winding starting rolling the string up. That's how cheap people recover their Phantoms from the sea anyway, with a fishing rod and flying it out no longer than the 3 pd test line goes:p

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Wind speed 20mph, gust 35 mph. Decided to go fly anyway. Went 400 ft, flew about half mile and lost signal. No worry I thought, it will return home. Waited 5 minutes, start panicking. No signals on GO app. Then signal came and bird was still far, far away. Tried to guide bird in but moving very slow. Lost signal again. 40 % battery left at this point. Hopped into car and headed toward bird. Signal came back as I got closer. Brought bird down to 200 ft (less wind?), heard the buzzing sound and spotted the bird. It was right over cemetary. Successfully touchdown with 17% battery left.

Lesson learned. Will never fly in high winds again, at least not long distance.

Flown in 30 to 40 mph. With the wind behind me I was topping 62mph and going into the wind coming back was hitting 10 to 12mph all in ATTI mode. Switched back to GPS mode for landing but it was still difficult. Went about 7000 feet out. My only difference from stock was 3D printer made wind surfer antenna's

I took the bird up and flew out a few hundred feet. The bird was slowly dropping its altitude and not holding a solid lock, that is seen in the video. I got a bit nervous and returned and landed. Flying out with the wind on the birds back it did easily 35mph. On the way back against the wind it never flew over 25mph. So that was my first lesson flying out a bit and figuring out how slow it was going on return.

That just means the wind was blowing 8 MPH

UK weather has been pretty bad for the past few weeks, its so annoying having to see my P3P just sitting in its bag.

Hopefully this Saturday and Sunday I should be able to take it out for a fly around.

I don't mind cold weathers, just hate the high winds and rain.

Just checked the weather and next week the wind should calm down but then again it is the Great British weather I'm talking about lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl