Do NOT buy a GoPro 3+ if you want sharp aerial videos!

Since today was the last day I could take my H3+ Black back to Best Buy, I shot a couple of images with it and compared the focus on the same shots with my old Hero 1. The hero 1 was more in focus. The jpg artifacting in the GoPro is very disappointing.

I went back to Best Buy and they happened to have 3 Blacks in stock. So I exchanged them. The kicker? I got $75 back. I hope downgrading to the 3 black from the 3+ Black turns out to be the best move.

Did my first flight with the 3 Black. It was quite gray and cloudy so the lighting sucked. Even with that though, it seems like I'm not rubbing my eyes when I look at the images like I had to with the 3+ black.

i presume these same problems apply to the silver+ as well?

As for what I am trying to do I am looking for the best image quality. The video quality sufficesenough from any model for my daily adventures and posting short videos on youtube. But I take a lot of pictures and run them through photoshop for aerial photography work with my Hero 2 right now. It seems like if I upgrade I should stick with the regular black edition to get the best potential distance picture quality out of all the models?

Nice sharp vid if you ask me! BUT....DUDE....

You're flying to close to a highway! Don't you know the risk you are taking? Has anyone taught you the rules of flying your quad? It is common knowledge that you must make the correct calculations and fly according to the results of the QUAD FACTOR. For example, the safe distance from a highway is calculated by taking the Radius of your Quad (RQ) and multiplying it by the Frequency of your radio (FR). Divide that by the hypotenuse of the triangle that is formed that results in lines drawn from your starting point to the highway, Turn 30 degrees and travel 60 feet and then a 45 degree turn back to your starting point. (H).

So in short, the closest you should be to the highway is:

Quad Factor = (RQ) x (FR)/(H)

Please don't ruin it for all of us.

Racer38 said:
Really ?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBYrZkd ... HA_Vv-7KaA

GoPro 3+ Black, make sure you change resolution to 1080p. Filmed at 1080p 60fps

Nice deal!

I have a 3 and personally don't think the still shots are worth a ****. I mean they look good on the surface at first glance but quickly lose quality when any kind of decent crop is used. I can only imagine what it must have been like for you with the 3+ !

mediaguru said:
Since today was the last day I could take my H3+ Black back to Best Buy, I shot a couple of images with it and compared the focus on the same shots with my old Hero 1. The hero 1 was more in focus. The jpg artifacting in the GoPro is very disappointing.

I went back to Best Buy and they happened to have 3 Blacks in stock. So I exchanged them. The kicker? I got $75 back. I hope downgrading to the 3 black from the 3+ Black turns out to be the best move.

I posted this on the GoPro forum and figured I would post it here as well:

I bought 2 H3+ Blacks from a company that had been out of stock for the last week or so. They are "1013s". I tested them against my H2s but was unable to really see any issues with focus.....definitely not 33% sharper though! I called Go Pro to inquire about the focus issue and to see how one could be sure their camera does not have the problem and he said I could send them a picture and have it analyzed, however, he indicated that "the only cameras that were affected by the focus issue were some of the 0813 production cameras." He indicated that mine would not have that problem.

Was he not being truthful with me? I don't know. I will probably do a few more test and have the pics checked if there is any indication of a problem.

It would be nice if GoPro (who I am sure read these forums) would make some formal announcement to make clear the extent of the problem and solution. We all spend our very hard earned money on their product and they owe us that consideration.

NMG318 said:
It would be nice if GoPro (who I am sure read these forums) would make some formal announcement to make clear the extent of the problem and solution. We all spend our very hard earned money on their product and they owe us that consideration.

GoPro won't do this as it would mean admitting there was an issue.
Much easier for them to just quietly replace cameras for customers who complain.

For this reason I will not buy another GoPro product. It's really poor customer service.

So I read through this thread, and I am feeling very downhearted- I bought this recent gopro hero 3+ black specifically for the phantom and aerial photography, and mounting to the harley.

Now I find, and notice as I am looking for it, that this camera is not suited.

So it begs the question, which I cannot easily glean from reading here, "What version(s) of gopro should I be looking for (used is fine) to shoot 1080p at 60fps with a fov to infinity?"

Obliged The Editor for making me hip, and offering the free education- I sure wish I could sit along the sidelines in your, and a few others head a spell around here- I am desperate to learn some proper digital media editing skills, and while I am good at softening learning curves as I am a quick teach- this technology and business is far too complex to just pick up over a weekend or 3.

Anyone who could chime in with a definitive list on which gopros and which version will still offer me the fov we desire I am grateful too.

I exchanged my 3+ black for a 3 black. Couldn't be happier. The images are MUCH better, which still isn't saying much because GoPro images suck compared to what I'm used to working with.

mediaguru said:
I exchanged my 3+ black for a 3 black. Couldn't be happier. The images are MUCH better, which still isn't saying much because GoPro images suck compared to what I'm used to working with.

So the Hero3 Black (no +) does not have the reduced field of view? Just the 3+?

Hiway said:
mediaguru said:

In my case yes. That's what I understood and the 3 Black looks much better. Not soft or blurry.

mediaguru said:
Hiway said:
mediaguru said:

In my case yes. That's what I understood and the 3 Black looks much better. Not soft or blurry.

Thank you mediaguru-

I have been going over the results posted on an article linked in this thread, or another somewhere where it discusses the various scenarios and settings within the hero 3+ BE and I see there are 3 fov presets (wide, medium, and narrow) I am assuming that the standard black (not 3+) (which is very tough to source suddenly) has no such settings? It is a straight infinite fov?

I am in the market for 2 more gopros- I want 1 specifically for the Phantom, and with the most infinite fov available at 1080p 60fps (for editing consistency in my editor; remember- I am a rank amateur)

I also will get a silver for very simple ground work with the pet shots and candid footage that makes up a lot of b roll stuff... so while I was not savvy in educating myself on the first gopro (or not keeping up with what is happening and the tech involved) I am trying to make up for it by cramming it all in before throwing good money after bad.

The 3 Black (Non+) has FoV settings for wide, medium and narrow. Not sure what you mean by infinite. The 3 Black is focussed better for infinity but the FoV settings have no effect on the focus as that is fixed by the lens.
FoV isn't the same as focus.

FoV in all GoPros works by cropping the image.

rilot said:
The 3 Black (Non+) has FoV settings for wide, medium and narrow. Not sure what you mean by infinite. The 3 Black is focussed better for infinity but the FoV settings have no effect on the focus as that is fixed by the lens.

Ah- so I am still unsure what I am trying to teach myself about this- sorry for the confusion.

I read these threads, and try to do self study to clarify what I don't understand- in the process, I go down garden paths but never mean to take unwilling parties along, lol!

I am trying to understand what this thread implies, and how to apply it to the personal, and hobbyist pursuit of making home videos- but I lean towards a higher caliber than simple menu effects and shaky footage most amateurs are content with- I want better game from the onsett, and I am willing to apply myself to seeking that education.

Hiway said:
rilot said:

Ah- so I am still unsure what I am trying to teach myself about this- sorry for the confusion.

I read these threads, and try to do self study to clarify what I don't understand- in the process, I go down garden paths but never mean to take unwilling parties along, lol!

I am trying to understand what this thread implies, and how to apply it to the personal, and hobbyist pursuit of making home videos- but I lean towards a higher caliber than simple menu effects and shaky footage most amateurs are content with- I want better game from the onsett, and I am willing to apply myself to seeking that education.

Hiway, I think you're thinking of Depth of Field, not Field of View. DoF is the "in focus" range of the image.

I think you'll be happier with the original GoPro 3 Black (not +). It's cheaper, and I haven't found any compelling reason to get the +, and several not to, including the issues discussed in this thread.

OI Photography said:

Hiway, I think you're thinking of Depth of Field, not Field of View. DoF is the "in focus" range of the image.

I think you'll be happier with the original GoPro 3 Black (not +). It's cheaper, and I haven't found any compelling reason to get the +, and several not to, including the issues discussed in this thread.

Thanks tremendously- I will go and get some learn on regarding the DoF and then add to my quiver of recently found knowledge! ;)

I am looking for the black- but it is discontinued by gopro, and the handful I have seen I am unsure if they are truly just the black edition... and they are still not that much cheaper, unless I am looking at the wrong device.

What I really want is just the chassis- but that doesn't seem available, or never was at all from my best guess- I have the handful of cases and frames I would use- so I just need somebody's old black camera and no accessories... I keep hoping folks would upgrade and sell old cams... maybe not. I want at least 3 mounted for spring poker runs for a local non profit biker group I would like to do some filming for as well, and that is all shallow depth of field on the scoots... selfies by proxy, as in the gopro is on my bike but shooting those in the pack around me via strategically placed mounts on the Harley.

The settings for the photos in the 3 Black or 3+ Black are the same. They're dumb though. Wide medium and narrow are all the same shot, just cropped. The distortion is the same, just that on the more narrow crops you don't see it as much.

mediaguru said:
The settings for the photos in the 3 Black or 3+ Black are the same. They're dumb though. Wide medium and narrow are all the same shot, just cropped. The distortion is the same, just that on the more narrow crops you don't see it as much.

Which may be where I am getting blocked up- if a regular "Black" edition was upgraded with the latest firmware, then it would be the same as the firmware is the same for black and black+ I believe (I could, and should verify that but I am on the fly right now and am feeling lazy)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr