Do not be in a Hurry to buy the Mavic

Don't you think they will upgrade the Phantom line and add more features? Do you really think the Phantom line will continue with same features and become stagnant

If they can make the Phantom do what the inspire does - retracting legs, 360 rotation hot swappable camera with a professional larger sensor like the XR5, 45mph top speed, and add in the all the smarts of the mavic and 360 obstacle avoidance then some users may prefer the Phantom for a more professional application. And if they maybe package it with the OSMO for around $1300..

Reactions: manuc0
Don't you think they will upgrade the Phantom line and add more features? Do you really think the Phantom line will continue with same features and become stagnant

No, Why on earth would they want to have 3 lines of drones. Companies want things streamlined. The Phantom series will die off after the Mavic takes hold as DJI's consumer line.

Some photographers have the impression that it is all about the camera but not considering how the newer types of drones have a different camera. If you are looking to use a drone for an inside job, not sure why you want something other then a Mavic or a Phantom 4. I would think an Inspire would cause alot of wind from the props. The Mavic seems more stealth,intrusive.

I currently fly a P3P. If it got destroyed and I HAD to buy something right now, I'd probably get the Mavic.

However, I don't think this is the end of the Phantom line. The name "Phantom" has become synonymous with drones and I believe it's too valuable to retire the name. My gut feeling is that the Phantom will either get higher-end features (maybe retractable legs, maybe swappable camera, maybe higher-end camera with much larger sensor, etc.). Maybe it gets features handed down from the Inspire at a lower price than the Inspire. These are all just gut feelings, of course. But i do feel like there will still be a place for the Phantom between the Mavic and the Inspire (especially if the next Inspire is really expensive).
I would like to think that the Phantom 5 would have the additional features of the Mavic, i.e. gesture control, focusing lens, 'portrait' camera orientation etc, plus extra features I somehow assumed a Phantom 5 would have. Top of my list would be collision avoidance sensors on all four sides, and possibly upwards facing sensors for indoor flight. Optical zoom would be nice but not essential, and an iris diaphragm in the camera lens would make life simpler. Whether its form-factor would resemble a Phantom or the Mavic would remain to be seen.
Tony.

NIce speculation on that point. Of course the Phantom 3 series is a cool drone. As everything gets updated, that does not make the Phantom 3 series any less.

If I turned up on a job with a mavic I'd get laughed at, literally, same with my p3, inspire all the way.

Reminds me of oscar patorius and his legs, that was someone's opinion I spoke to today, made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Rothgarr
I don't have a Mavic and I think I can be patient enough to let others be the guinea pigs on the first round. I don't know the specs regarding wind handling ability, but it seems logical that the Mavic can't handle as much wind as my Phantom 3 Pro can handle. Just my opinion, but I think that wind is to blame for Casey Neistat's loss of his Mavic. I also don't have a Phantom 4, but was severely tempted.

My second drone is an Autel Robotics X-Star Premium, and I have no regrets about buying it. My jury of one is still deliberating on whether the camera of the X-Star is as good as the camera of the Phantom 3 Pro. I'm pretty much convinced that the X-Star camera is better in low light situations. When flying the X-Star in bright conditions, I've learned to set the EV below zero in order to avoid overexposed footage.

2 good things about the X-Star: it is ready to fly a lot quicker than the Phantom, and it comes with a pretty decent carrying case that can be used for either the X-Star or the Phantom 3. I also like the orange color of the X-Star, which comes in orange or white.

Here's a video with footage from both the Phantom 3 and the X-Star. The Phantom 3 has a Polar Pro ND8 Polarized lens filter on it, and the X-Star has a Freewell circular Polarized lens on it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't have a Mavic and I think I can be patient enough to let others be the guinea pigs on the first round. I don't know the specs regarding wind handling ability, but it seems logical that the Mavic can't handle as much wind as my Phantom 3 Pro can handle. Just my opinion, but I think that wind is to blame for Casey Neistat's loss of his Mavic. I also don't have a Phantom 4, but was severely tempted.

My second drone is an Autel Robotics X-Star Premium, and I have no regrets about buying it. My jury of one is still deliberating on whether the camera of the X-Star is as good as the camera of the Phantom 3 Pro. I'm pretty much convinced that the X-Star camera is better in low light situations. When flying the X-Star in bright conditions, I've learned to set the EV below zero in order to avoid overexposed footage.

2 good things about the X-Star: it is ready to fly a lot quicker than the Phantom, and it comes with a pretty decent carrying case that can be used for either the X-Star or the Phantom 3. I also like the orange color of the X-Star, which comes in orange or white.

Here's a video with footage from both the Phantom 3 and the X-Star. The Phantom 3 has a Polar Pro ND8 Polarized lens filter on it, and the X-Star has a Freewell circular Polarized lens on it.

mavic has a top speed of 40, p3p has top speed 36. To me that means the mavic can sustain slightly higher winds.

No, Why on earth would they want to have 3 lines of drones. Companies want things streamlined. The Phantom series will die off after the Mavic takes hold as DJI's consumer line.
I could see 3 lines, however, they are all too similar. If the mavic came out as a consumer product, phantom as semi pro, and inspire/matrice as professional, it could work. But having the mavic and phantom at similar price points and capabilities, it doesn't make sense. Maybe phantom 5 will put a little gap between them. If consumer was <$1000, phantom was ~$1500-$2000, and inspire $2500+, they can appeal to different markets. However, they need to also perform differently. If the phantom got an upgraded sensor from the mavic (or features like optical zoom), people would pay the premium. If inspire got dual battery capability, better range, and even better camera, people would pay the premium as well.

Just like toyota makes the camry, land cruiser, and prius, each serving different purposes, the drone market can do the same. I mean the Phantom 3 had 4 flavors and they all did fairly well, because they fit different customers.

On that note, it would be kind of cool if they made the drones customizable, as in choose a form factor (mavic, phantom, or inspire), choose a camera (any), etc. Mavic being ultra portable, inspire having high quality contruction/extended run time, and phantom filling the gap.

I think the premature arrival of the Mavic threw a substantial element of disarray into DJI's marketing plan. I wouldn't be surprised if the original anticipated Mavic announcement was supposed to happen along with the Phantom 4 Pro.

Seems the "Hurried to buy it folks" are dealing with the issues of jello and odd flight patterns. Some of the jello looks like some sort of bad gimbal vibration or prop imbalance. Maybe the Mavic v2.0 will address some of this and why the current delay.

The camera on the Mavic is inferior to the Phantom. But that's OK...

Based on what, exactly? I know there are several difference between the two, but the one's that come to mind could be seen as either just different or better /an improvement.

Narrower field of view
Wider aperture/faster lens (For better low light performance)
Focus-able! (Huge IMO)

To sum up: Technically the "camera" has the same specs. The lens is improved, and the software seems to be an improvement also. I will say that it is now easier to take cruddy photos with the Mavic if you don't focus.

Disclosure: I don't know Jack.

mavic has a top speed of 40, p3p has top speed 36. To me that means the mavic can sustain slightly higher winds.
You might be right, but I'm thinking that top speed does not directly correlate to ability to resist wind. I don't have a sound grasp on the physics so I can't refute your logic in a precise manner. For the Phantom 3, the Mavic, the Phantom 4 and the Inspire, DJI gives the same maximum wind resistance of 10 m/s (23 mph). The maximum flight speeds for those 4 UAVs are 36 mph, 40 mph, 47 mph and 49 mph respectively.

There are a number of single-engine jets that can fly faster than big commercial airliners, but the big airliners can handle higher winds.

I think that bigger and heavier is generally better when it comes to dealing with wind, but I can't do a really good job of explaining why I think that's true.

The Phantom would have a larger sail area than the Mavic which would be a big factor in resisting wind.

That said the Phantoms have curved surfaces and that may mean the wind can bring less force to bear on that sail area.

Reactions: liketogethigh

There were discussions here on PP about Autel products. I think they are on the right track with a similar form factor as the industry leader, DJI, but...my comments were that as good as they are, I would wait a generation or two to allow them to become more sophisticated. With the release of the Mavic Pro catching everyone off guard with a completely new model which didn't follow the apparent market for "selfie drones", I believe DJI is trouncing the competition. With the Mavic Pro being so easy and ready to fly, great reported range, good flight time and quality of video/images, there are NO other drone companies out there I would remotely consider purchasing at this time.

At this point in time, I'm not in the market for a new drone, but if I had to replace my P4 within the time the supposed Phantom 4 Pro is supposed to be released, I'd probably go for the Mavic Pro. If the Phantom 5 comes out with DJI upping its game as a firm prosumer level offering which has some type of a robust compact folding arm design(cracking being remedied at the close of the P4 models), extended range with Occusync AND it is designed to be EASILY used with tablets of varying size, I'd get that over the Mavic Pro because I just don't like the RC. I have to have a larger screen and it has to be able to accept a sun shade. I know you can fit an iPad Mini in the RC of the Mavic Pro or you can fit it with an adapter for your tablet, but I want it to be designed with tablets firmly in mind...even though DJI Goggles and other VR goggles may become a standard in the future.

I have to have a larger screen and it has to be able to accept a sun shade. I know you can fit an iPad Mini in the RC of the Mavic Pro or you can fit it with an adapter for your tablet, but I want it to be designed with tablets firmly in mind...even though DJI Goggles and other VR goggles may become a standard in the future.
I've never held a Mavic RC or an iPad Mini in my hands, but according to the specs, the iPad Mini is 200 mm on its long sides and the Mavic's remote control only holds devices up to 160 mm.

I do like the fact that the device holder is at the bottom of the remote. Bottom-heavy is better than top-heavy. It would be nice if DJI developed a holder that would accommodate everything from a small phone to a large tablet without the need for an adapter.

I've never held a Mavic RC or an iPad Mini in my hands, but according to the specs, the iPad Mini is 200 mm on its long sides and the Mavic's remote control only holds devices up to 160 mm.

I do like the fact that the device holder is at the bottom of the remote. Bottom-heavy is better than top-heavy. It would be nice if DJI developed a holder that would accommodate everything from a small phone to a large tablet without the need for an adapter.
Because the device holder is at the bottom of the RC, I can only imagine that the all important device screen, which needs to be tapped to focus the camera, is going to be at such an angle, the sun is going to be a major problem. I'm sure you are seeing those device mounts being attached to the Mavic Pro's RC, allowing for a sunshade to be attached. I just don't see how one can be mounted as it is currently designed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers