Do it yourself FPV goggles ;-)

Reaction score
Inspired by google's cardboard project which doesn't work in our scenario for various reasons, I came up with this setup.

It uses your iPhone, or in my case android phone, as the goggles screen and the display you see is the full DJI vision app.

Basically, it's cardboard, with the phone stuck on the end, and a pair of TOO STRONG (2.5x magnification) reading glasses (£1.50) to bring the screen into focus at such a short distance.

And the cardboard is screwed to a baseball cap with a bracket.

It looks very cool (NOT!) and it is very functional.

No sunlight on the screen and great for low level shots when the bird is distant and height can't be judged unless seeing what the camera sees.

You may laugh, but it's indispensable to me now. If you're into looking cool and wow'ing the crowds etc, then perhaps it's not the look for you ;-). But I'm not !

I should have done this as a kickstarter project shouldn't i ;-). ?

Hope it inspires other lol

1 downside is you can't see the bird while wearing this fetching number, but it's easily removed, as easy as removing a baseball cap !

dp

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410951144.106539.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410951144.106539.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 869
You were too quick to share your idea! You should have crowd-funded it to 20k before sharing your invention. ;) ;)

Lol... I read this thread, clicked that link above and now look at the things Amazon wants me to buy...

welder.jpg

I cobbled this up out of some plastic cardboard.
It fits a 7" tablet.

The controller is supported by a neck lanyard just below chest level, and you can just look down to get quasi-FPB, and back up for real world view.
The hood has access flaps on both sides for the tablet touch screen, flips back for full tablet access, and folds flat for storage.
I have a flip-down magnifying lens from a cheap ($6) Headband magnifier mounted inside.
I'm going to make a more permanent version now that the bugs are worked out.

Works great, (for me).
It' got that Mr. Spock thing going on.. ;-)

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 428
  • magnifier.jpg
    magnifier.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Spock_s.jpg
    Spock_s.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 380
MapMaker53,

It seems to block the light without the need for foam, as it's contoured to my particular face.
It does flip back out of the way for full tablet access, which helps in the folding department.
The hinged joints are like the cover joints of a hardcover book, so the thing folds flat to less than 1/4"
It takes up no room in the hard Phantom case, I just toss it on top of everything before closing.

Now I just need to make a "prettified" version with white exterior, and black velvet interior. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20150326_073444.jpg
    IMG_20150326_073444.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20150326_073503.jpg
    IMG_20150326_073503.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20150326_073647.jpg
    IMG_20150326_073647.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 352
I don't use the foam to seal the viewport from light. It just makes it extremely comfortable against my face. I might steal your idea and add that flip-back option to mine, CapnBob. Mine is actually a little too long to fit into my case if folded, but I wanted to be able to hold the controller at a certain level and still have the viewport reach my face without having to bend over any.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20