Do I take the plunge?

Reaction score
I have been flying everything helicopter related for the past 5 years or so, micros up to 700 class and have just recently sold my 700 as I don't have the time to keep up with the maintenance and 3D flying is just not appealing to me anymore. Also I don't have a great space to fly such a large violent machine without traveling.

So now I am looking at getting into the phantom series for some casual flying and photography. I have a few questions and concerns before I make a move and hopefully you guys and point me in the right direction.

First of all I have an amazing recreation area suitable for flying inside my neighborhood my only concern is there is a airport about 6.5 miles away. I realize we are asked to stay outside the 5 mile radius of the airport but where does this radius begin? Do I just stay about 5 miles away from the physical address or do I need to be 5 miles away from the furthest point from the airport property which is obviously a huge swath of land?

Next concern I have is between the phantom 3 advanced and the professional model. From what I have seen the only difference between the two models is the camera quality. Lastly I do not own a iPad or have any interest in buying one other than for the purpose of flying this quad, is the iPad a must or will using my iPhone 6+ be sufficient? I haven't seen many people using phones as the display.

Thanks for the help

between the phantom 3 advanced and the professional model. From what I have seen the only difference between the two models is the camera quality.
That's the biggest difference. If you do not need to shoot 4K video, then get the Phantom 3 Advanced.

will using my iPhone 6+ be sufficient
It'll definitely work speed-wise, but everyone has a different opinion on what makes the screen size sufficient. I sometimes fly with my iPhone 6s. It works, but is a bit small. I think a 6+ would be an okay size. The iPad Mini 2/4 seems to be the perfect size. Those are just my opinions of course :)

There's a lot of difference between the 2, do a search for them and start reading. You don't need an ipad, I started with a phone and still use it. I have thought about upgrading to a tablet and the price is right on a few of them but that's another step that I'm taking slow. Here's a good thread to start > Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | DJI Phantom Forum

and here's one on the lightbridge difference. I'd go for the P3P now after finding the new info, but I bought the P3A when DJI was saying that the camera was the only difference. There's some huge differences, buy the best.
Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A? | DJI Phantom Forum

Hey, don't forget the pro has those cool looking gold stripes.

Seriously though, the bit rate deficit and weak charger in the ADVANCED is enough to justify the PRO in my book, and I never record 4K. Maybe someday.

for example? really? read the bottom half of my first post, click on the link, scratch your head... lol
To be honest, there really aren't many notable differences. And, HDMI glasses aren't going to be all the rage soon since the FAA is going to most likely make everyone fly VLOS.

Hey, don't forget the pro has those cool looking gold stripes.

Seriously though, the bit rate deficit and weak charger in the ADVANCED is enough to justify the PRO in my book, and I never record 4K. Maybe someday.
Exactly, and if I had the 4K now, I would be using it. The bitrate difference is a huge issue. Here's a quote from Oso that hits it all. -

DJI says that the camera is the biggest difference, but one of those big differences is the video downlink bandwidth.

For some reason, the much lower bit rate of the P3A is not talked about very much. I can only speculate why it's not discussed much. Perhaps people don't notice as much when not using goggles so it's not a big deal to them. Perhaps they see the settable custom transmission rates on the channel select screen, but they don't realize the P3A has a 2Mbps max no matter the setting. Also, maybe some people just don't mind the issues seen with the lower P3A bit rate. Regardless, the fact is that the P3A has a much lower quality video down link than the P3P.

I just think it's important for P3A owners (or potential P3A owners) to understand this and consider the pros and cons before they decide to spend for the HDMI module and goggles. A more informed decision means they are less likely to be surprised if they are disappointed by the image quality.

Compare the Phantom Series | DJI
View attachment 37603

To be honest, there really aren't many notable differences. And, HDMI glasses aren't going to be all the rage soon since the FAA is going to most likely make everyone fly VLOS.
Hmm, we were typing at the same time. To me as with many of us P3A owners - with the bitrate and lightbridge difference - had we known a difference existed when we bought our Advanced units - it would have pushed us that extra touch so there would have been a bunch more P3P owners, including myself. That thread link above says it all. FPV is how I got started with a P2 when I first was ready to buy a few years ago. I had the glasses on and Jim Bowers of SWARM was flying his P2 for us. This was the first time that I had seen one in person after doing a ton of research back then and it also was what convinced me to wait a couple years until RTH was brought in... but that's another story... So many of us P3A owners would have been P3P owners if DJI had told us the whole story without us owners having to find it and disclose it ourselves. FPV goggles can be used by friends and family next to us and that's what really puts the smiles on their faces. But back then just a few months ago, people were pushing that the only difference was the 1080p/60fps on the Advanced over the 4K/30? or is it 24fps on the Pro's camera. But had we known that the bitrate was throttled to a 2mbps max on the Advanced but hadn't yet been disclosed by DJI, we, as in many of us here on this forum would have bought the Pro because that makes the $300.00 difference totally recognizable and really worth the extra few hundred for the performance over the Advanced.

SAR Drones | UAV Search And Rescue Drones

To me as with many of us P3A owners - with the bitrate and lightbridge difference - had we known a difference existed when we bought our Advanced units - it would have pushed us that extra touch so there would have been a bunch more P3P owners, including myself.
So, to sum it up, would it be fair to say that this only matters if someone is going to use FPV glasses? And, they would not notice a difference if they are using a phone/tablet (which is a more common use case)?

So, to sum it up, would it be fair to say that this only matters if someone is going to use FPV glasses? And, they would not notice a difference if they are using a phone/tablet (which is a more common use case)?

I believe you have summed it up, hence no biggie and not worth the extra $300

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Read quote below -
From what Advanced owners have said the difference is clear when looking at the cached video from the tablet on a P3P as well, so no, it's not only the HDMI output.

Blurry Pixelation in outdoor settings with Phantom 3 Advanced - Page 9 - RC Groups

To sum it up, with the 100watt charger, the 4k camera, the 10mbps bitrate (over the throttled 2mbps on the P3A), the Digital signal processor dedicated to OFDM trasmitter and Ambarella chip for SD 4K on the Pro, that the P3A doesn't have (it uses the Ambarella chip only), Plus if you take the 4K footage and render it out to 1080, you compress the data back together and end up with better looking 1080 video then had you shot it in 1080, the P3P pays for itself and shows the difference in quality. If you want the best picture, it's not in the Advanced. It's in the 4K on the pro and the $300.00 difference for many of us us not a big deal after seeing all of the differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowdyjim
Read quote below -

To sum it up, with the 100watt charger, the 4k camera, the 10mbps bitrate (over the throttled 2mbps on the P3A), the Digital signal processor dedicated to OFDM trasmitter and Ambarella chip for SD 4K on the Pro, that the P3A doesn't have (it uses the Ambarella chip only), Plus if you take the 4K footage and render it out to 1080, you compress the data back together and end up with better looking 1080 video then had you shot it in 1080, the P3P pays for itself and shows the difference in quality. If you want the best picture, it's not in the Advanced. It's in the 4K on the pro and the $300.00 difference for many of us us not a big deal after seeing all of the differences.
In an effort to steer the average Phantom pilot in the right direction, you're pointing out some things that don't matter to a lot of people. Caching video on a mobile device is usually not preferred since it often slows down the device. And, the 100W charger can be purchased for much less than the difference between the two. There are also less expensive chargers (like this one) that charge the batteries even faster. You make valid points, but the way you present them makes it seem like they are must-haves for everyone.

It's almost 2016 here in the uk.. So to keep things short for the benefit of the OP!

I have a pro & I'm happy with the pro - the choice is entirely yours!

BUT I read you said "for casual flying & photography"... the answer is probably advanced for you (as photography capabilities of both models are the same!)

Happy flying & best wishes for 2016!

Reactions: rowdyjim
In an effort to steer the average Phantom pilot in the right direction, you're pointing out some things that don't matter to a lot of people. Caching video on a mobile device is usually not preferred since it often slows down the device. And, the 100W charger can be purchased for much less than the difference between the two. There are also less expensive chargers (like this one) that charge the batteries even faster. You make valid points, but the way you present them makes it seem like they are must-haves for everyone.

And to me it seems like you are trying to minimize the differences when they are right here in the open. The buyer will make his decision and without all of the information of the differences between the 2, how will he know?
While you were writing your first answer,

That's the biggest difference. If you do not need to shoot 4K video, then get the Phantom 3 Advanced.
It'll definitely work speed-wise, but everyone has a different opinion on what makes the screen size sufficient. I sometimes fly with my iPhone 6s. It works, but is a bit small. I think a 6+ would be an okay size. The iPad Mini 2/4 seems to be the perfect size. Those are just my opinions of course :)
>> I was writing mine at the same time you were but... You posted first and I posted second with pages for him to read up on before his purchase. Those pages that I posted are really important when it comes to planning on what to buy and why. There's some great links in my post that shows it all. As a buyer would you want to be told only the camera is different...? Or would you want to see the entire picture, take the time to read and learn about it, and then decide for yourself? How about the difference in the gimble? It's all in the links that I posted in the beginning. A person comes here to ask questions and learn as much as he can about what he wants to buy. So supersize me with all of the info, don't minimize me :D

Don't third party chargers void the warranty though. On the battery as a minimum. I'm not doubting the one you posted and its validity but if you're like me and worry about warranties, then the supported faster charger is a factor for me in my purchase choice.

Don't third party chargers void the warranty though.
If you use a 3rd party charger and it ruins your battery, DJI is not going to cover it. Many people recommend this charger. I haven't seen one bad review about it yet.

If you are spending about $1000.00 for an advance, $260.00 is only a small step to get the best of the class, in my opinion worth it.
I use my regular Galaxy s6 edge and it's enough for me, at least for now, and an iMac 27" 5k loaded up, to work on my P3P shots.
Loving the hobby right now.
I also leave near a small airport, didn't call but sent them an email informing about my flights and never heard back from them.

I have been flying everything helicopter related for the past 5 years or so, micros up to 700 class and have just recently sold my 700 as I don't have the time to keep up with the maintenance and 3D flying is just not appealing to me anymore. Also I don't have a great space to fly such a large violent machine without traveling.

So now I am looking at getting into the phantom series for some casual flying and photography. I have a few questions and concerns before I make a move and hopefully you guys and point me in the right direction.

First of all I have an amazing recreation area suitable for flying inside my neighborhood my only concern is there is a airport about 6.5 miles away. I realize we are asked to stay outside the 5 mile radius of the airport but where does this radius begin? Do I just stay about 5 miles away from the physical address or do I need to be 5 miles away from the furthest point from the airport property which is obviously a huge swath of land?

Next concern I have is between the phantom 3 advanced and the professional model. From what I have seen the only difference between the two models is the camera quality. Lastly I do not own a iPad or have any interest in buying one other than for the purpose of flying this quad, is the iPad a must or will using my iPhone 6+ be sufficient? I haven't seen many people using phones as the display.

Thanks for the help

Technically we are not asked to stay 5 miles away, but are asked to notify an airport within 5 miles of your operating a UAV. You should be able to
contact that airport, and establish operating limitations with them. Most have little concern if you're staying under 400ft and outside of active traffic 'lanes'.

Some very good points made about the differences of the P3A and P3P. I'm happy with my P3A, and find its capabilities to exceed my needs. I think
the valuable 'decision' here is how far you plan to take the hobby. Getting into professional quality photography and longer distance flights? The P3P
is probably your best choice. If your more of a Visual Line of Sight hobbyist, and plan staying at that skill level, the P3A is a good consideration.

The difference in price got me a Galaxy Tab 4, a soft carry case and Prop Guards... I blew the budget with a 2nd battery (and I'm glad I did!)

Having had both the Advanced and Pro (after DJI sent me a Pro as a replacement!!) I can tell you that there is absolutely NO difference between the 2 other than the 4K option which is essentially useless for most people. The clarity of the live feed is indistinguishable on my iPad Mini 4. Just buy a 100W charger. The extra processing power and chip is specifically for the 4K option which is not essential in the least.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie