Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Do I really know what I THINK I know?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by hdrider, Aug 24, 2014.

1. hdrider

I have been on this forum for a few month reading numerous things and think I have absorbed a bunch but even though I start second guessing if what I THINK I know is really correct so I will just ask a couple questions for peace of mind.
    I’m new to the phantom and have now gone to the same football field 3 times and flown through 2 batteries each time (so total of 6 flights) just practicing forward and back, side to side, up and down (getting a little higher each time, spooky at first), circling around an object (mainly me), and landings.
    The 1st time I went to the location I did the compass calibration and flew. Did not re-calibrate when I changed batteries but did wait to see the steady blinking green lights.
    I then went home, recharged the batteries and decided to go back and fly again at the same place. I had steady green so did not re-calibrate compass. Did I do that correctly?
    The next day I went out to fly in the exact same place, waited for a steady green but had a color that seemed to be a green/yellow combined. So I did a compass calibration and restarted. IS it normal to get a green/yellow combination if going to the exact spot to fly or could I have done something funky?
    Another question, after charging 1 battery my charger is warm but after charging 2 it’s warm enough that I don’t really want to hold it very long. Not corn on the cob fresh out of the pan of water hot but hot. Is that normal?
    And yet another, I have the Gopro 3 Black, is there a setting that is most commonly used for video?
    And lastly I want to purchase a backpack type case for my Phantom system. We hike a fare amount and plan to take the Phantom along. Is there any one backpack that most agree is the best? I know this last question is stretching it a bit. Chevy and Ford thing I know.
    Thanks in advance.

2. HarryT

Calibration: no, no need to recalibrate every time you fly (although some would say otherwise). You'll know when you need to recalibrate - your Phantom won't hover in one position, but will steadily drift in one direction.

Charger: mine get warm, but certainly not hot.

GoPro: this is very much a matter of personal preference. Personally I shoot in 1080/25/Medium. I find that medium gives a much more natural look than the "fisheye" of wide, and also keeps props and landing gear out of frame.

3. isky172

If you're getting a yellow light of any kind, I would re-check to make sure your transmitter is set in GPS mode on the right switch and "Off" on the left switch. I.e., both switches should be in the top-most position. If, after those steps, you still have a yellow light and it's been calibrated....I don't know.

4. Buckaye

I'm going to try that camera setting :). I don't like the fish eye...but it isn't too much of an issue when higher up. However, the blades and landing gear thing drives me crazy :)