Do I need a Naza PMU v2 if I have an upgrade board?

Reaction score
I was told I needed the upgrade board, got that installed, but when watching a how-to for installing the H3-2D itself, the first thing mentioned is a Naza PMU v2. Is that correct?

You do not need the PMU v2 if you have the upgrade board installed. The board provides the original functions plus the functions of the PMU v2 and the GCU.

Steve

ChrisJ said:
I was told I needed the upgrade board, got that installed, but when watching a how-to for installing the H3-2D itself, the first thing mentioned is a Naza PMU v2. Is that correct?

deluge2 said:
You do not need the PMU v2 if you have the upgrade board installed. The board provides the original functions plus the functions of the PMU v2 and the GCU.

Steve

That is fantastic news. Do you have a link to a wiring diagram/schematic? I can't find anything on goggle, and the DJI video doesn't cover the upgrade board, just starts with connect the Naza.

Take a look at the upgrade board install manual:

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom/en/P330CB-H3-2D_Instruction_v1.00_en.pdf

And the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-9xW3JJ1Y

These show that the only electrical connection between the gimbal and the Phantom is the 8-pin ribbon cable.

The gimbal install is similar to the original Zen H32D install video (the one you're talking about) except you skip all the messy soldering and cramming of components inside the shell. If the ribbon cable is already sticking out through the Phantom shell, then you don't even need to open it up. If it isn't, just follow what the upgrade board install shows. There's no tricky wiring, just the 8-pin cable.

The only other connector documented at present for the upgrade board is the 3-conductor ribbon cable (also included with the upgrade board) that provides Vcc (flight battery + volts), ground (flight battery ground) and video out (from the GoPro). This can be hooked up to a video transmitter for FPV and also so you can monitor the FOV of the GoPro during flight. I've had the Zen v2 up for a couple of wks, but just hooked up the Video downlink this evening--sweet! But you don't need to mess with that unless you want to.

If you're unclear or stuck, please describe what's at issue and I or someone else will be happy to further explain.

Steve

ChrisJ said:
deluge2 said:

Steve

That is fantastic news. Do you have a link to a wiring diagram/schematic? I can't find anything on goggle, and the DJI video doesn't cover the upgrade board, just starts with connect the Naza.

Thanks so much Steve. I have completed every step in the video, flown it with no problems. The tilt switch is even calibrated. I juast don't know what to do next. Attach the mount, insert the gopro, hook up the 8 pin and power on with Naza assistant?

Thanks so much for your help.

ChrisJ, in the NAZA Assistant, there's a Gimbal tab. Make sure you turn on gimbal support and then restart the Phantom. That should be it. I spent some time agonising over why the gimbal wouldn't initialise yesterday until I worked that out.

If i'm understanding correctly, you've complete most of the hard part. Now you just need to plug the ribbon cable into the Zenmuse and then physically mount it to the Phantom. The mounting consists of 4 screws, 2 to attach the top plate of the damping platform to the Phantom, and 2 to attach the foot of the Zenmuse to the bottom plate of the damping platform.

Then hookup to your PC and run the Assistant SW double check *all* your settings and calibrations. I'm conservative so I would do a transmitter calibration (the TX unit itself) and then calibrate (sticks, switches, and tilt control) through the Assistant SW. Check/do the IMU advanced calibration. Then calibrate the compass and you should be good to go.

Suggest treating the Zenmuse with care, for example power on the GoPro before firing up the Phantom+Zenmuse so you're not fighting the Zen with GoPro button presses. Don't place the Phantom in tall grass or anywhere where there is physical interference with the Zenmuse.

Do you know if you have so-called 'v1' or 'v2' Zenmuse? Introduction of v2 (though not called that officially) seems to have reduced the failure rate considerably. Of course there are probably v1 users with 100 or more flights by now, too.

Steve

ChrisJ said:
Thanks so much Steve. I have completed every step in the video, flown it with no problems. The tilt switch is even calibrated. I juast don't know what to do next. Attach the mount, insert the gopro, hook up the 8 pin and power on with Naza assistant?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks all, I mounted it and powered up, everything is working great, even the tilt. Thank you so much.

Edit: Just in case it might help someone, I didn't do anything in the Naza assistant. I didn't have to enable gimbal or upgrade, it worked right away so I decided not to mess with anything.

SimonB said:
ChrisJ, in the NAZA Assistant, there's a Gimbal tab. Make sure you turn on gimbal support and then restart the Phantom. That should be it. I spent some time agonising over why the gimbal wouldn't initialise yesterday until I worked that out.

Hrm, are you using the Zenmuse? In that case gimbal support should be OFF in NAZA Assistant. Turning it ON won't hurt anything, but the Zenmuse doesn't use those control channels. That setting is for 3rd-party gimbals that use the F1 and F2 channels for control. Your Zenmuse may not have initialized until you restarted the Phantom, but that setting isn't what made it work. :)

MrMediaGuy said:
Hrm, are you using the Zenmuse? In that case gimbal support should be OFF in NAZA Assistant. Turning it ON won't hurt anything, but the Zenmuse doesn't use those control channels. That setting is for 3rd-party gimbals that use the F1 and F2 channels for control. Your Zenmuse may not have initialized until you restarted the Phantom, but that setting isn't what made it work. :)
Yes, I am using the Zenmuse. Thanks for that. I did wonder why none of the other settings had any effect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav