Do I have a bad gimbal

Reaction score
The curved arm that holds the camera seems to be at an angle to the flat box that seems to hold the camera electronics. It seems to me that it should be at a rt angle but it seems to be 5 or so degrees off that. So when I look at the gimbal from the back of the phantom the whole of the mechanism that holds the camera is at an angle. It's almost as if the shaft that the camera rotates about is bent. How can I tell if I have a problem.

somewhat hard to tell just based on description. If you could post a few pics that could help us diagnose better.

WHen you reply to this post, just below the box where you input your text, you will see a tab (small) that says "upload attachment". (Its below and to the left of the "save draft" button. Click that "upload attachment" tab. You will then see an option to "choose file". CLick that button and it will then allow you to navigate to the location on you computer where your images are stored.

Yes I think I do have a damaged gimbal. I have just taken it out for a quick flight. It keeps telling me to remove the gimbal clamp. The clamp was sitting at home so I know that isn't the problem. Last time I flew it ( right out of the box and no camera working) It crashed from about 8 ft onto some soft grass. It broke a couple of props and I changed those. Even that time I had removed the gimbal clamp . But the screen on the Iphone was so washed out with the sun that I don't know if it was telling me to remove the clamp or not. So I'm not sure if the gimbal was damaged in the crash or if it was bad from the get go. I will contact dji in LA and see if they can tell me what to look for.

There seems to be a lot of bent, warped or otherwise dodgy gimbals straight out of the box. So much for quality control... And they are soooooo fragile, the slightest crash/hard landing will bend it....

The English Guy said:
Yes I think I do have a damaged gimbal. I have just taken it out for a quick flight. It keeps telling me to remove the gimbal clamp. The clamp was sitting at home so I know that isn't the problem. Last time I flew it ( right out of the box and no camera working) It crashed from about 8 ft onto some soft grass. It broke a couple of props and I changed those. Even that time I had removed the gimbal clamp . But the screen on the Iphone was so washed out with the sun that I don't know if it was telling me to remove the clamp or not. So I'm not sure if the gimbal was damaged in the crash or if it was bad from the get go. I will contact dji in LA and see if they can tell me what to look for.

Yes, unfortunately if you have a hard crash most likely the gimbal is lost. It seems DJI has no replacements to buy but some estimate $800, it seems extreme, hopefully they will have parts so users can just replace the ribbon cable and aluminum but so far have not even the full assembly to sell. Someone is selling them on ebay for $1000 which is extreme.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
There seems to be a lot of bent, warped or otherwise dodgy gimbals straight out of the box. So much for quality control... And they are soooooo fragile, the slightest crash/hard landing will bend it....

This case isn't "straight out of the box" though. He crashed it from 8' up, which almost certainly caused the gimbal damage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj