Do drones need cellular?

Reaction score
So far I've been using my iPhone for the screen of the DJI drone.

I'm just wondering can you use an iPad or iPod Touch that has no cellular service to operate the drone? I am unsure if any GPS feature is being used from the touch screen device you are using, or is it all from the drone? Someone at Best Buy told me the map I see on the drone isn't Apple Maps, it's the drone's internal map.

I have an Ipad Mini I'd like to use. It does have LTE capability, but it's not connected to any service. So when people use iPads to fly drones, do they need to have cellular like a phone does?

I rather use my iPad instead so I have a bigger screen plus to keep my phone in my pocket. It's very frustrating when you get text messages or phone calls when flying. Also I don't need to worry if my phone has enough battery since I use phones for other things during the day. If I can use my iPad then it can sit in the box fully charged ready to use when I need to.

No they do not. If you have a GPS/cellular iPad you don't need to subscribe to the cellular service. The GPS will work fine. If you don't have a gps tablet , you canlink to your phone from the Wi-Fi hotspot and also get GPS.

Reactions: frenchcharlie
No they do not. If you have a GPS/cellular iPad you don't need to subscribe to the cellular service. The GPS will work fine. If you don't have a gps tablet , you canlink to your phone from the Wi-Fi hotspot and also get GPS.
Okay, stupid question because I'm used to flying my Mavic with my iPhone...

Were I to go a P4P and an iPad without cellular; even without tethering the only issue would be that I couldn't load maps, correct? All the return to home and such functions use the drone's GPS?

Without GPS these are the only things that you lose:
1. : you will have to cache your maps before the flight
2. you will lose the follow me feature
3. you will lose the ability to reset the home point, After the flight is in session

Reactions: frenchcharlie
3. you will lose the ability to reset the home point, After the flight is in session

Well, as long as it returns home, that's all I really need. Just so I can fly far and not worry of losing it.

Do you have to cache your map? Or only if you want to be able to fly using the map?

I only ask because there's a good chance I might be flying in places where there is no cellular service anyway.

You don't need GPS on your mobile device to use the maps. #2 and #3 are true though.

Do you have to cache your map? Or only if you want to be able to fly using the map?
If you don't cache the maps, the area where the maps display will be blank. That certainly won't matter if you're watching the live view in that area.

I use a WiFi only iPad Air 2. I found the screen refl Clive and difficult to see in some conditions so made a hood to help with visibility. The only aspect of flight that won't work is the "follow me" options.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl