Do civil GPS downtimes impact drones?

Reaction score
I have read somewhere that's common for civil GPS to be officially down for some time and for selected area. Sort of scheduled maintenance and related status can be consult in some .gov website.

If true, would mean sudden loss of some satellite for drones flying in concerned area.

Are these downtimes real?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Phantom uses two independent GPS systems. The U.S. GPS satellites and the Russian GLONASS satellites. They don't get shut down, but if one system failed, there is another to act as a backup.

But there have been rare instances where the military has done special testing which caused interference with the signals in isolated areas. When such tests are planned, the FAA posts warnings to pilots who will be flying in the affected areas: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2016/Jun/CHLK_16-08_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

If you should get caught in one of these 'tests', you will still be able to fly, but only in ATTI mode. There will be no ability to 'return to home'.

Reactions: RémyHeli
I have read somewhere that's common for civil GPS to be officially down for some time and for selected area. Sort of scheduled maintenance and related status can be consult in some .gov website.

If true, would mean sudden loss of some satellite for drones flying in concerned area.

Are these downtimes real?
They don't turn off the whole system.
You won't even notice it.
You need multiple satellites to get a fix and your Phantom sees plenty of sats in the sky.
If there is one less working for a short while, it won't make any difference to you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj