Do all the phantoms develope hairline cracks

Reaction score
My P3P Drone is barely a month old, has about 8 hours of flight time and has never been crashed. I have been reading a lot of posts about hairline cracks so I decided to look at mine today, sure enough there was a small hairline crack about a quarter inch long in the underside of one prop arm where the motor bolts on. So I guess I have to contact DJI. This is very annoying the product is amazing, it works to the letter of what I would of hoped for, you would have thought they would have used better materials, it's not like this is the first kick at the can. This problem seems to go back a few generations of their Drones

Maybe we should do a poll of our members on each phantom type and weather they cracked and approx. how soon into its lifespan the crack occurred. Unless this has already been done

Maybe we should do a poll of our members on each phantom type and weather they cracked and approx. how soon into its lifespan the crack occurred. Unless this has already been done

It has, lots of threads here about it in the past.
Just search forum.

They do crack. Probably a good proportion of owners with the problem have posted in the various threads on this forum. If we consider DJI is sitting somewhere around the $1bn annual sales mark and the most popular product is the phantom it's probably fair to say most don't have issues.

Mine cracked after 8 months of on and off use, without a crash. Hairline crack right under one of the motors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i crashed mine first flight, fell 8 feet to a wood deck and burned the top of the props off. 45 flights now and no cracks still. One of the first p3p that shipped from B&H photo when they first came out... Maybe I am just lucky.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

They do crack. Probably a good proportion of owners with the problem have posted in the various threads on this forum. If we consider DJI is sitting somewhere around the $1bn annual sales mark and the most popular product is the phantom it's probably fair to say most don't have issues.
I agree, not with the "good proportion of owners" bit, as there must be 00's of 000's of Phantoms sold globally and the contributors to this forum do not reach that level AFAIK, but certainly with it being fair to say it's a small proportion of owners that have (or have noticed they have) a problem. One of the issues with injection moulding is that the distribution of the liquid plastic around the mould and its them has to be perfect. Uneven solidification can result if it's not, leading to tiny vacuum voids or differentials of material thickness, both of which can lead to failure and cracking. I have to say the quality of the DJI plastic mouldings seems to be excellent (without doubt they'll outsource this production) but clearly something did go awry on some of the bottom mouldings.
I check mine after every flight and to date, fingers crossed, I've not had an issue. What I would absolutely NOT do, would be to start adding additional parts, adding pressure or weight on those areas of high stress PRIOR to any form of failure, as that could cause a failure in itself.

Ive had my Phantom since Februray,ive only flown it about 6 times and fly it and treat it like a baby.Other day post flight i had a stress crack under right rear arm.It's enroute to DJI now as its still under warranty.So estimated i only have about an hour and a half flight time on it figure that one out.

Ive had my Phantom since Februray,ive only flown it about 6 times and fly it and treat it like a baby.Other day post flight i had a stress crack under right rear arm.It's enroute to DJI now as its still under warranty.So estimated i only have about an hour and a half flight time on it figure that one out.
Please get out and fly more, 6 times since February?

The more you fly, the more you realise they are more resilient than you think.

I've had stress cracks for a while, but I've reinforced the shell with Bondic as it was out of warranty when they appeared.
My P3P Drone is barely a month old, has about 8 hours of flight time and has never been crashed. I have been reading a lot of posts about hairline cracks so I decided to look at mine today, sure enough there was a small hairline crack about a quarter inch long in the underside of one prop arm where the motor bolts on. So I guess I have to contact DJI. This is very annoying the product is amazing, it works to the letter of what I would of hoped for, you would have thought they would have used better materials, it's not like this is the first kick at the can. This problem seems to go back a few generations of their Drones

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Frank Candor
Please get out and fly more, 6 times since February?

The more you fly, the more you realise they are more resilient than you think.

I've had stress cracks for a while, but I've reinforced the shell with Bondic as it was out of warranty when they appeared.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yea i know i have to get out more when i get it back,its just a pain in the butt flying here in ny,im a nervous wreck with it.

Nope. I loosened the (tight) motor screws & snugged 'rm up (all equally) and have had no issues (knock on forehead).
This was early advice.

I have ordered 4 x Phantom 3 Aluminium Motor Mount Protectors to hopefully prevent any hairline cracks developing.

I am yet to receive them and put them to use.

Their design allows a 'splint' like support for each of the motor mounts and theoretically seems like a good preventative measure.

Has anyone else used these, and what is your feedback?

They can be previewed on: Phantom 3 Aluminum Motor Mount Protector

Thanks,

Pete.

IMG_3517.JPG
I have ordered 4 x Phantom 3 Aluminium Motor Mount Protectors to hopefully prevent any hairline cracks developing.

I am yet to receive them and put them to use.

Their design allows a 'splint' like support for each of the motor mounts and theoretically seems like a good preventative measure.

Has anyone else used these, and what is your feedback?

They can be previewed on: Phantom 3 Aluminum Motor Mount Protector

Thanks,

Pete.
I put those same ones on and it caused a crack. I was so mad at myself for doing it. When I tightend the screws I heard a "crack" and sure enough it did. I sent it to Dji and thankfully they replaced it. Those also cause marks on the bottom of the arms. Beware.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl