Do all commercial operations require a VO?

Reaction score
I've been looking over some of the approved 333 exemptions and I've noticed that they all state that "All operations must utilize a VO." This seems a bit cumbersome, and I'm wondering if anyone has seen an exemption that does not require this or if can you get rid of it via a COA?

Thanks

To my knowledge I haven't seen a 333 exemption or COA that waives a commercial operation from needing a visual observer.

When the FAA releases Part 107 the VO will most likely be optional as it is stated in the NPRM from last year. The FAA swore to Congress that Part 107 will come out in June and is also less restrictive than 333 exemptions in many other ways.

You can check out the entire NPRM here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol.../2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

To my knowledge I haven't seen a 333 exemption or COA that waives a commercial operation from needing a visual observer.

When the FAA releases Part 107 the VO will most likely be optional as it is stated in the NPRM from last year. The FAA swore to Congress that Part 107 will come out in June and is also less restrictive than 333 exemptions in many other ways.

You can check out the entire NPRM here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol.../2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

Thanks! I applied for an exemption knowing that they've promised to release new regulations towards this in June just because I figured that the new regs would be more restrictive and that it would be beneficial to be grandfathered in. Hopefully they do release part 107 on time and it is less restrictive though.

No problem! What industry are you in? I ask because how "novel" your application is really affects the amount of time the 333 process takes. The FAA tends to blanket similar applications together, so the more novel --> longer wait.

I'm part of a team building software to help professional/hobbyist pilots manage their drone missions better. You can check it out at: trydash.nvdrones.com. We're always looking for feedback from fellow pilots!

Awesome! I'll check it out. I'm a student about to graduate with an aviation science degree. I'm trying to do freelance real estate work right now, all of the intended uses that I put in my exemption have been approved before. I noticed that it seemed like the exemptions that were longer and had novel uses took a lot longer to be approved, hoping to get mine before they roll out the new regs just so I have the option.

is there any work around to getting paid for drone work without a pilots license?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik