Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Do airlines typically change flight paths?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SMD, Feb 20, 2016.

1. SMD

SMD

Finally took out the P3 Professional today after almost three weeks of snow and freezing weather. I went to a place I frequent a lot because it's on the beach and this time of year it's quiet with not a lot of people. I made sure in the past it wasn't within five miles of an airport. It's close but still not in the "zone." Today as I go to take off I see there are major airlines flying almost overhead. They're close enough that I can see the names of the airlines very easy. Obviously I'm not going to fly when there's airplanes with hundreds aboard at a height that I can easily reach. I took out my iPhone and opened the Hover app and suddenly the Fly Zone has changed. I've never seen a plane anywhere near there. Do airlines change their fly zones at different times of the year? Not sure what to make of it.

2. druss2001

Maybe not different times of the year but it think it depends on which way the winds are blowing and if the airport has both north/south and east/west runways. Some days I see planes flying close to overhead while I am northeast of airport where main runway is east/west. Sometimes traffic will land on north/south runways.

3. Air Ontario

They switch approaches for different reasons...crosswinds, windshear, nearby thunderstorm, grass cutters, r/w maintenance,
    nav aid work.....

4. ddh1313

I'm confused, sure they could change approach vectors for any of the discussed reasons however I doubt they moved the air port . The nfz should be unaffected.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app