DNG vs JPEG comparison

Pull_Up said:
Brilliant, thanks all. Spotted similar adjustment tools in Rawstudio and GIMP so I can have an experiment now I know what it means! Much appreciated.
This is why some people suggest it is sometimes best to underexpose a bit so you can recover detail - if the image is over exposed there is nothing you can do to recover the 'blown out bits'. I have to say that although the camera is fairly rubbish at least with the raw one is able to make the most of a bad job and what we need now is someone who really know what they are doing in post to produce an idiots walkthrough of a work flow to help us. I do not know about gimp but ps can produce macros where the process is automated. The only problem is that I am not sure if they work with the raw dialogue box that comes up when opening a raw image. I have read that this is the best 'place' to take out noise.

For those of you who successfully updated to the 1.1.9 firmware, how long did the update take? How long did it take for the blinking yellow led on the camera to switch to green?

pault said:
Pull_Up said:
Brilliant, thanks all. Spotted similar adjustment tools in Rawstudio and GIMP so I can have an experiment now I know what it means! Much appreciated.
This is why some people suggest it is sometimes best to underexpose a bit so you can recover detail - if the image is over exposed there is nothing you can do to recover the 'blown out bits'.

Not overexposing but "Exposing to the right" (ETTR) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposing_to_the_right

krisb said:
For those of you who successfully updated to the 1.1.9 firmware, how long did the update take? How long did it take for the blinking yellow led on the camera to switch to green?
About 20-30 seconds.

May someone please upload an uncompressed .dng file for us to mess around with it? That would be really nice. Thank you :)

Checkout this screenshot from 3:00 into that Vimeo and compare it to the image that convinced me I had a duff camera

DNG%20file%20format%20and%20the%20DJI%20Phantom%202%20Vision%20.jpg

DJI00013-centre-from-DNG-peter-evans.jpg

QED DJI

Actually I domt think you got a defective cam. Compare these images: your focus lies on a target far away from the cam, whereas the clock tower is directly infront of the lens + the clock tower image had some noise reduction applied. May I ask you to share the raw DNG from your camera with me? I would really love to play around with it a bit. Maybe via Dropbox?

About 7 - 10 metres.

I'm sorry I don't have the original file anymore; I've deleted all the trial photos and videos shot with the Vision which is crrently sitting in a box waiting to go back to the dealer on Monday.

The replacement is going to be a Phantom 2 with a Sony Rx100 mounted under it (with POV).

Okay, how much is that setup? The vision looks like the perfect interim solution until a go pro 4 (4k 30fps plus better pics while shooting video), phantom 3 and maybe even a new 3axis zenmuse comes out. Actually I look for a phantom 3 vision with go pro like camera and built in 3 axis gimbal. Until then I will not spend so much money for an interim solutions like a 2 axis gimbal and a gopro hero 3+. If I had the money I would go for it now, but...

noreason4 said:
Okay, how much is that setup?

Phantom 2 = 589 euros
Sony RX100 (original version, because the RX100 II is 41g heavier) = 420 euros
RX100 remote and FPV kit for the Phantom 2 = 925 euros - see http://dronexpert.nl/
Total = 1,934 euros - all taxes and delivery included

So, almost twice the price that I paid for the P2V. But then I get truly high quality images, much higher quality than will ever be possible on even the best example of the FC200 or any GoPro (due to the RX100's Zeiss lens and the fact that its sensor area is 4x greater than the P2V or the GoPro 3 Black). I get classic angles of view, and I also get full control on the camera of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. So, it boils down to the fact that you get what you pay for.

The mount from DronExpert is pricy but I can find no alternative that will give me FPV plus remote control of the camera's shutter out to 300 metres. And of course I can still use my phone for calls! ;)

Nice setup but it looks that this droneexpert gimbal only has tilt control and will produce the same unstabilized videos as the vision does or am I getting something wrong?

The RX100 (I have one) also has image stabilization built in and can be used during video as well. Problem is the button to start video cannot be controlled remotely they way they have it set up, only the shutter. I would guess if you want to shoot video, then just start the camera on the ground and take off. I think there is a 29 minute limit but that's long enough.

I think the gimbal is just way too expensive!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj