Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

DNG how to

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J&L, Feb 29, 2016.

1. J&L

J&L

So I'm having a focus issue on my P3A on the left side of photos. DJI has requested DNG photos. I have only shot in jpeg. Is the raw photo DNG? If not please tell me so I can send them the correct photos. Thanks.

2. MrDroneUK

Yes the raw is .DNG.
    I'd recommend shooting photos in DNG to be honest so you get the best quality out of your photos. You can also do lots of post editing via Adobe lightroom or Adobe photoshop to name a few.

3. cactusfrog

Raw file is dng.

4. J&L

J&L

That's what I thought. I have Lightroom 6 that I bought a few weeks ago. Haven't really messed with it.

5. J&L

J&L

Picture Quality ?

Here is a thread I started about my focus issue. These are jpeg of course. I couldn't ever open a raw photo until I got Lightroom 6 so I never took pics in DNG

6. cactusfrog

Since you have Lightroom, I'd switch to shooting raw and never look back. The only downfall is, it adds an extra step if your wanting to post something quick. But honesty cleaning up the photos a bit is worth the time all day long. Just as with anything there is always a learning curve, but that's what you tube is for, even for doing basic adjustments in Lightroom.

J&L likes this.
  7. J&L

J&L

I understand using Lightroom for cleaning up pics but that doesn't help with my focus issue. It will still look out of focus post editing. That's why DJI wants to see a raw photo I assume.

8. cactusfrog

Agreed, nothing fixes out of focus or soft focus. And I'm guessing Dji wants the raw (dng) file just because it's uncompressed, and that will help them determine if it's the actually camera/lens or if something is going wrong when the computer is doing something weird when compressing a jpg.

9. J&L

J&L

I got a chance to take the DNG photos yesterday. But I can't view unless I open in Lightroom 6. I'm just going to send DJI the files. There 17mb each

10. Helijoc

Anyone have an example of an original jpeg and a raw post production side by side?

11. MrDroneUK

Please do let us know what DJI say in regards to the photos :)

J&L likes this.
  12. J&L

J&L

So after finally chatting with DJI in chat. they received my DNG photos and said they looked "dim". I asked what need to be done they said "I Suppose you could reset the camera" and then there next reply was "Sometimes the cold weather causes the problem". It was 72 when the photos were taken. how should i proceed with DJI?