Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

DNG Color Issues

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by kbnovak, Jul 23, 2014.

1. kbnovak

I am a very experienced photographer, but new to the DJI Phantom Vision 2.
    I shoot almost all of my regular photography in the RAW format which allows for wide latitude in adjustments to include white balance.

I have found that when shooting in RAW (DNG) on the Phantom, I am unable to get accurate white balance adjustments when post-processing in Lightroom.

If I try to change it to anything other than "As Shot" I get a very green color shift that I am unable to recover.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Kevin

2. sblue

No suggestions, but you are not alone with this issue. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I have to just make careful manual WB adjustments in post. Would love to know an answer.

3. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Same issue here, but unfortunately can't come up with an answer either... :cry:

-slinger

4. MarkMullenUK

I too get odd white balances, I usually use a WB picker and choose a neutral road or white building adjusting till I get the desired look, being unable to do commercial work with it 100% colour integrity isn't critical to me.

5. jimre

This camera's "native" color balance appears to be quite a bit different from "normal" cameras. In particular, the Tint seems to be biased way toward Green - hence the need to shift it something like +150 or more toward Magenta. The built-in WB presets in Lightroom (Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, etc) all assume you have a "normal" camera, so they will all look far too green when used for this camera.

I don't know the technical reasons for this - whether it's a quirk of the sensor, the camera's image processing chip, or maybe the RAW/DNG conversion software. But it can easily be corrected by either using the "As Shot" setting, or using the eye-dropper to click on a neutral grey-white area.

6. kbnovak

Thanks for the reply's folks!
    I guess it's just something I'll have to work through. Hopefully DJI can address this thru a firmware tweak.