DMV, DC / Maryland / Virginia

i live outside of Baltimore but typically go to my farm in central pa a to fly. its to restrictive around here and drone fliers are demonized like gun owners.
Hey, I live north of Baltimore. I have a P4 on the way. Have you found any areas out this way to fly? (North)?

Hi all,
I've been flying in the DC area for about seven months now. I have scoured the map looking for places to fly. I live in downtown Washington so I'm affected by the no-fly zone so I drive about 50 min to even send the drone up. Annoying.

Check out @goldenhouraerials on Instagram for my "missions".

Would love tot meet up with some people and learn.

Just got a new P4P.

107 certified as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There are a few spots out this way, but it's a pretty good drive from DC and Alexandria too. If either of you want to come out, you're welcome. But it would be tricky to set up a day with all this cold and winter wind. Nice thing about summer, besides being warm, is it tends to be calm. In winter it tends to be windy.

Reactions: Teamfour and Tedyb
There are a few spots out this way, but it's a pretty good drive from DC and Alexandria too. If either of you want to come out, you're welcome. But it would be tricky to set up a day with all this cold and winter wind. Nice thing about summer, besides being warm, is it tends to be calm. In winter it tends to be windy.

Would love to plan a trip for next week maybe Wednesday where do you fly?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I usually fly from my back property (straight out over the trees and over the open corn fields) but as a beginner you want an open field. There's one a few hundred yards south from me in Brookeville called Longwood Rec Center right on Georgia Ave and it's perfect for beginner flights. It's even protected from the north and west winds somewhat. Then there's another HUGE and wide open corn field about 15 miles north of me next to a church which is the ultimate drone flight field.

The main thing is the wind - we're kind of a slave to the wind. Otherwise, come on out! I should be pretty flexible next week other than family stuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedyb
I usually fly from my back property (straight out over the trees and over the open corn fields) but as a beginner you want an open field. There's one a few hundred yards south from me in Brookeville called Longwood Rec Center right on Georgia Ave and it's perfect for beginner flights. It's even protected from the north and west winds somewhat. Then there's another HUGE and wide open corn field about 15 miles north of me next to a church which is the ultimate drone flight field.

The main thing is the wind - we're kind of a slave to the wind. Otherwise, come on out! I should be pretty flexible next week other than family stuff...
I am planing on heading out there tomorrow (weather seems great) shoot me an email if you can make it [email protected]

Hi all, new to the hobby. Can someone please explain the 3 zones surrounding the DC area?

I see there is a red 15 mile restricted zone(cannot be unlocked) surrounded by two other zones, yellow authorized zone, followed by a green enhance warnings zone. I set up a verified account and was able to unlock the yellow zone. But when I try to unlock the Green zone I click on it no pin appears so it doesn't recognize any zones to unlock. Anyone know how to unlock the green enhance warning zones?

DJI site says
"Enhanced Warning Zone. In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight."

3 zones
32206753922_d56b22bde8.jpg
32206753922_d56b22bde8.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 7.45.22 PM[/url] by ivory3673, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yellow zone authorization

8161a3f81944741b7b8e0bc0d2d15f3d.jpg

But I can not fly in the yellow area because it is overlapped by the green area that I cannot figure out how to unlock
a1209206e5532b4cc79f6511ffebadf8.jpg

Last edited:
Some green zones are areas protected by the National Park System (NPS). That is a no-fly zone that probably cannot be unlocked. Also be aware that for 1/19-1/21 there is a TFR for most of the DC surrounding area due to the inauguration.

Some green zones are areas protected by the National Park System (NPS). That is a no-fly zone that probably cannot be unlocked. Also be aware that for 1/19-1/21 there is a TFR for most of the DC surrounding area due to the inauguration.

Well I know it's not a National Park because I can't take off from my backyard. I've been emailing DJI, they are not very helpful they just reply back with generic answers. Thanks for the information on the TFR.

e4714ed0a603c373eec9d90ab794a734.jpg

I think you are just too close to the no fly zone, I have flown my P4P at Long Wood Community center which is just a bit north on Georgia Ave. and the same has happened to me in spring field where it's not restricted on the B4UFLY app but DJI has marked it restricted.

I think you are just too close to the no fly zone, I have flown my P4P at Long Wood Community center which is just a bit north on Georgia Ave. and the same has happened to me in spring field where it's not restricted on the B4UFLY app but DJI has marked it restricted.

Even if I am father away in the green enhance warning zone. it restricts me from taking off or flying area.

a74e57323ed650c9bc056a864756de51.jpg

57b57b984480ac70fd5b2dbb321f4f6d.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.