DJI's respect for its customer

Thanks for answering my questions.
I'm glad that DJI stepped in and is having you send the aircraft back. Did they ask you to send it to their California Office?
I'm assuming you're in the United States?

Like any Mass Produced product-sometimes things just break; it happens.
It sounds to me like you did everything right, and perhaps just got a bad unit. Luckily it didn't fall out of the sky from 100', and destroy everything!!
Also, I'm glad you're hear, reading, learning, and asking questions.

The problem isn't us.....we are only 7000? members, on one web forum. We are actually the minority. The fact that you're hear, says that you want to learn and don't want to make mistakes.
The problem is, there are 99+ other people-that are NOT members here, or any other web forum. They take the aircraft out of the box, charge up the battery, go outside, and just take-off!!

Then, when there aircraft crashes, or fly's away-they come here. When asked; how long did you allow it to warm up, and did you get the flashing green lights-the answer is usually; "what lights?".
The above is just on over generalization-but it demonstrated what DJI is up against.

We are the conscientious Owners. The one's that take the time to pre-flight, wait for warm-up, don't fly near an Antenna Farm(RF interference), etc.
But, DJI has probably sold a million of these things!!! So, if we only have 7000 or so members-what are the other 993,000 Owners doing???!!!!

So, don't be to harsh on DJI. They're a new start-up company, that has grown so large, so quickly, they are having a hard time keeping up. But, there new office in California is a start.......and I believe we will see better and better customer service as they "catch-up" with the demand.

I am shipping this to their California office. I just hope they make the necessary adjustments so that P2 is flight worthy and gives me piece of mind.

I just wish there was a better Q&A for these things, especially comparing everyones flight experience: excessive vibrations, drifting, range, balance, ect ect, instead of having to dig through all the Forum pages. What may be normal for me and my flights may be something completely different for someone else. I'm going to find other P2 pilots close to me (Kansas City) and meet up with them on a semi regular basis, that would be fun.

As i mentioned earlier about comparing flights between different pilots...I finally got the balls to put my gimbal and GoPro on it and flew around over the weekend. P2 seemed like it could hardly take off (had full batteries) and I had major drifting issues and control issues. I think the drifting and control issues was contributed to me being in a heavily developed neighborhood, so i'm assuming everyone's home Wifi was messing with the communication between my Tx and the Rx.

Not sure why our aircraft would barely take-off....?? Props tight? Battery full?? Remote adjusted? Aircraft not in dog's mouth?
Are you using Phantom mode or Naza mode in the Assistant software? Got video?

As for the drifting...yea, they do that. Check your compass calibration values, and post the total number here. The aircraft, as configured, should lift off at half throttle, or less. If you're getting to higher throttle settings, perhaps you need to recalibrate the remote using the Remote Assistant.

Props are tight, Battery is full on Both GoPro and Phantom, haven't messed with the remote at all so i'll look into that. I usually have to give it 100% throttle to get it off the ground. I'll get all my GoPros out so i can get video of my Tx and also of the P2 so i can show you how its acting.

I went out flying again today, kinda windy but less than 8mph. With the Phantom completely naked (no gimbal) it flew fine, but once I put the gimbal and GoPro on, it hardly lifts off and even at full throttle it will barely climb. I'll post video when i go back out later in the week.

I'll get you those numbers you asked later this week and see if there is something off. Still going to order me a set of carbon fiber props, just to see if there is any difference.

Austo87 said:
Props are tight, Battery is full on Both GoPro and Phantom, haven't messed with the remote at all so i'll look into that. I usually have to give it 100% throttle to get it off the ground. I'll get all my GoPros out so i can get video of my Tx and also of the P2 so i can show you how its acting.

I went out flying again today, kinda windy but less than 8mph. With the Phantom completely naked (no gimbal) it flew fine, but once I put the gimbal and GoPro on, it hardly lifts off and even at full throttle it will barely climb. I'll post video when i go back out later in the week.

I'll get you those numbers you asked later this week and see if there is something off. Still going to order me a set of carbon fiber props, just to see if there is any difference.
NO!! Don't-you will crash!! Stay away from CF props-you have another issue.
Take your full loaded Phantom and weigh it on the scale, and tell me how much it is?
Then, connect your remote to the RC assistant, and calibrate all the axis including the throttle.
Let's deal with 1 problem at a time.....and drifting can be addressed separately.

Total weight (battery, prop guards, gimbal and GoPro) come in just shy of 1400grams.

Attached are photos while in RC and PT2 applications. The photos in RC are those when I am in calibration mode, what the values are when the sticks are at rest during calibration, and the 2nd is after calibration. Do the resting figures look similar to yours while they're resting?

Sorry if pictures are too big, i tried getting them down small enough without losing the clarity.

Attachments

• jpeg 98kb RC while sticks at rest during calibration.jpg
    jpeg 98kb RC while sticks at rest during calibration.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 365
  • RC after calibration.jpg
    RC after calibration.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 346
  • PT2 .jpg
    PT2 .jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 349
1st-your compass values exceed the norm. go out and do the "compass dance". Are you familiar with how to do that?
2nd, your throttle, at rest, is not near the value it should be. You need to re-do the calibration of the remote. The throttle value looks too low, for half throttle.
3rd, are you in Phantom Mode, or Naza-M mode(box on the top right of the screen-click where it says Phantom-and you can change to Naza-M).
4th, Mode 2?? Is that where the throttle is on the right side, and the directional controls are on the left? Most fly with the throttle on the left. Yaw is also on the left.....but, do what's comfortable for you.

5th, perform an Advanced Calibration. when the button lights up, click "calibration"...it will either calibrate, or say it doesn't need it....click OK, then push "Basic Call"...that should perform the advanced calibration-if not, push advanced calibration. It takes sometimes up to 5 minutes for perform. Make sure your remote is on, and phantom is on a flat, level surface, and don't touch anything until it's done.

Normally compass values are around 1500......you may need to perform the "circling magnet" trick.......lets hope you can just do the compass calibration in the backyard and all will be fine.
Also-when transporting or storing your aircraft; never put it near any Speakers, or other things with big magnets in it. This will hose your compass.
Your total weight is about right. A bit on the heavy side.....but, with your throttle out of whack, that's the reason it's taking so much throttle to take off.

Last-show me a picture of the Gain(s), on that page.........

JPSLV said:
OI Photography said:
Austo87 said:
Where has everyone else bought their drones from? I would have gone with B&H but i didn't think they would have any service department.

Try these:

http://www.1uas.com
http://www.atlantahobby.com
http://www.aerialmediapros.com

Those are among the best DJI dealers in the US, and they're all great with after-sale service.

What about DSLRPros. I might get this: http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx
No!!!
Try this guy; http://www.uavproducts.com/
He answers the phone!!! That's your first clue that you have a Dealer that will listen to you when you call. IF, you try calling a dealer, and after a few attempts, nobody answers the phone, or, it's hit and miss as to when you get someone on the line or have to hold forever-move on!!! I did.
Tell him what you want to put together, as a kit. Just because it's not listed on his website, doesn't mean he doesn't have it, or can't get it. He can do all the assembly and testing for you........

What I don't like about the DSLR kit is the Carbon Fiber props-you don't want, or need them. They are stiff as hell, will introduce un-wanted vibrations into your video, and make your aircraft difficult to fly, requiring you to adjust the gain values. You don't want that kinda headache, just starting out.
I have nothing against DSLR....they're good people. But, I think you could make a better kit, on your own.

1st- Yes I do the compass dance every time I go out and fly, even if I swap batteries and I'm at the same location, i always recalibrate the compass.

2-I will re-calibrate and let you know...

3-I am in Phantom Mode. I know not to use Naza mode unless I'm VERY familiar with how to fly.

4-I use the mode where the throttle is on the left stick.

5- I'll do what you suggested, but I've gone to that calibration and it says that it is not required. I'll double check everything tomorrow and report back.

When I transport my P2 I usually have it sitting on the back floor of my truck or in the passenger seat next to me, never really close to any of my speakers or other electromagnetic equipment.

Preformed all that you suggested, minus the magnet compass thing.

Here is what everything looks like.

Also, every time I do the advanced calibration it says the MC is too hot and to power it off, wait several minutes, then try again. I've done this 3 times now and every time it says its too hot. This Phantom is only powered on about 45seconds prior to me starting the advanced calibration.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 4.27.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 4.27.02 PM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 295
  • after basic and advanced calibration.jpg
    after basic and advanced calibration.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 310
You can still force it to calibrate-they all say "it's too hot"...just push it anyways..go to advanced call.

Try switching from Phantom mode to Naza-M mode, and go fly in GPS mode and see if there's a difference.
EDIT: the only other thing I can tell you is to contact your Dealer. You're aircraft may just be defective. If you're having to use more than half throttle-and by the sound of it, a lot more-you have problems. Stop!!! Contact your dealer, explain the problem, and arrange for a return. It's always better to do this now, then to have a bad crash, and a box of pieces, and try sending that back......

I continued through with the advanced calibration on every occasion. Went out again today to fly, did Okay with the P2 just naked, and it was kinda windy, but the moment I put on the gimbal and go pro (made sure Wifi was off) it would not respond at all. I'll post a link to the video showing my controls, P2 and it'll show you how it responds to my commands.

I bought this 2nd one from B&H and I know they dont have any service department. I'll see about getting it returned and exchanged with another one. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that I've had 2 of these things, (1 serviced by Dronefly) and this one, and yet I'm still having problems. My local Hobby shop sells these things but they won't touch them when it comes to diagnostics.

Yea, I feel your pain. But there just isn't a whole lot of diagnosis that can be done online. If one works and the other struggles with the same equipment, that's a serious problem.
I'd box it up and get an RMA and get another one.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers