DJI's respect for its customer

Reaction score
Had to send my P2 to the dealer I bought it from (DroneFly) for several reasons : several motors would not spin correctly, the tilt lever on Tx would not move the gimbal (yes i double checked the connection inside the Tx) and when I updated the firmware, it failed and I couldn't get the DJI application to recognize the P2, gimbal, nothing.

Got the repair bill and was told that the Tx was replaced through the warranty and is working, however 2 motors were replaced and not covered by warranty. I flew the P2 ONCE and had to send it back for repairs. DJI is sending out defective products and in turn is making its customers foot the bill. This is absolute BULL SH**

If this were an other dealer, car, appliance, ect ect... the retailer, and especially the manufacturer, would not have me pay to get the defective parts replaced.

NOT VERY HAPPY WITH DJI and their retailers. Probably not going to buy another product through them again until this is resolved for future customers.

Austo87 said:
Had to send my P2 to the dealer I bought it from (DroneFly) for several reasons : several motors would not spin correctly, the tilt lever on Tx would not move the gimbal (yes i double checked the connection inside the Tx) and when I updated the firmware, it failed and I couldn't get the DJI application to recognize the P2, gimbal, nothing.

Got the repair bill and was told that the Tx was replaced through the warranty and is working, however 2 motors were replaced and not covered by warranty. I flew the P2 ONCE and had to send it back for repairs. DJI is sending out defective products and in turn is making its customers foot the bill. This is absolute BULL SH**

If this were an other dealer, car, appliance, ect ect... the retailer, and especially the manufacturer, would not have me pay to get the defective parts replaced.

NOT VERY HAPPY WITH DJI and their retailers. Probably not going to buy another product through them again until this is resolved for future customers.

That's not on man. Get in touch with an authority, for example in the UK we have The Trading Standards authority. If you used the product once and it had any defective parts, it should be covered by the warranty. Also let DJI know you are going to make a formal complaint.

Absolute shocker if the motors are not covered by warranty after a single use... hoe else would one discover a fault?

Wow, I don't like the sound of that. I already have one motor that's a little questionable.

technically you should be complaining about dronefly. as you mentioned, if this was a car (let's just say ford), they wouldn't ship your car up to MI and make you pay ford directly. The dealer would take care of the warranty issues. The structure of DJI was just that, they sell their products through a dealer, the dealer makes a profit and the dealer handles customer issues. Their call center and support was designed for their advanced platforms (S800/S1000), not the phantom. Had you bought from a dealer like B&H, they would have taken care of your problem without a charge to you. If you buy a sony camera from best buy, you don't call sony, you bring it to best buy. The biggest issue that phantom owners are having is that many of the bad dealers are telling owners they have to call DJI because they are too lazy to earn their money. Its easier for them to pass the buck to DJI. I wouldn't be surprised if you are paying for something that drone fly had fixed for free.

What was the explanation for the motors not being covered under warranty?

In the UK, you have a right to expect smoething to function for a reasonable amount of time. Most manufactures give one year, but if you can prove that a 'reasonable' period is more, then you can get things fixed by the manufacturer long after.

As yours was only used once, clearly that is a manufacturing defect and should be covered 100%.

Where has everyone else bought their drones from? I would have gone with B&H but i didn't think they would have any service department.

I bought at B&H, they have a group for "Aerial Support". Of course when I had an issue with the P2V's compass and GPS they told me to send it back. I have a P2 now and have not had to go for support yet. They did provide a lot of advice and guidance when I wanted to install the AVL58.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austo87 said:
Where has everyone else bought their drones from? I would have gone with B&H but i didn't think they would have any service department.

A lot of places like B&H don't "service" the phantoms. Instead they just ship you a new one. Its easier for them to send it back to DJI. Sort of like buying from Costco, they don't repair anything, just give you another one and send you on your way.

Obviously, DJI is a great brand in FPV field, make sure you've got an original decent DJI products, not a fake or clone products...As your said, just one flight, it must be in warranty, the maintenance is free.

UPDATE
received drone back from Donefly. did all necessary pre flight check list. I got it up off the ground and within 15 seconds it came crashing down to the ground. ruined a set of props. now I do not feel comfortable at all flying this thing. left a message and email with DroneFly.

I do not recommend this company.I highly doubt after the repairs I had to pay for they never even test flew it before sending it back to me.

Dronefly is on my **** list

NoT hearing good reviews about dronefly makes me think because I got mine from them trusting their location / staff response in the phone called them several times- shipped the P2 to a friend in NY and he flew it down for me to say a third world country that prices it about 25% higher than what I pay in the US. that said I so far only had issues after the updates recently. Say a week ago and owned/ flew it for about 15 flights prior to that. And never had a single glitch. I have only flown it within site but in heavy winds of a cliff etc.
I believe the stocks they had pre Xmas 2013 is different from the later stocks batch with the plug and play fpv hub. I read somewhere that earlier batch (mine) had a faulty / incomplete video downlink cable job. That caused a burn. I also read elsewhere that supplies of DJI products to 31 dealers in the US including Dronefly were stopped. Fresh revised versions began late Jan early February. :?: correct me if I am wrong.
I also have a problem with iosd. I e mailed DJI and got a short reply in chinglish. Saying someone will get in touch with me Now the question why would a dealer here in my land want to touch a very expensive toy that I didn't buy from him. Wonder if DJI is reading this.

That surprises me about drone fly. Chatted with their service guy a week ago and he told me that if I had bought my P2 thru them that most times if there is a major problem they would replace mine with a new one and send the defective one back to dji to refurb. Bought mine thru rc_ drones.com and they wanted me to jump thru hoops to get it fixed. Sent it directly to dji. Well see what'll they charge me.
Good luck

Austo87 said:
UPDATE
received drone back from Donefly. did all necessary pre flight check list. I got it up off the ground and within 15 seconds it came crashing down to the ground. ruined a set of props. now I do not feel comfortable at all flying this thing. left a message and email with DroneFly.

I do not recommend this company.I highly doubt after the repairs I had to pay for they never even test flew it before sending it back to me.

Dronefly is on my **** list

Try Amazon. Sign up. You have 30 days to return your purchase for any reason. If something bad is going to happen to the Phantom, it will be before the 30 days are up.

Ksc said:
technically you should be complaining about dronefly. as you mentioned, if this was a car (let's just say ford), they wouldn't ship your car up to MI and make you pay ford directly. The dealer would take care of the warranty issues. The structure of DJI was just that, they sell their products through a dealer, the dealer makes a profit and the dealer handles customer issues. Their call center and support was designed for their advanced platforms (S800/S1000), not the phantom. Had you bought from a dealer like B&H, they would have taken care of your problem without a charge to you. If you buy a sony camera from best buy, you don't call sony, you bring it to best buy. The biggest issue that phantom owners are having is that many of the bad dealers are telling owners they have to call DJI because they are too lazy to earn their money. Its easier for them to pass the buck to DJI. I wouldn't be surprised if you are paying for something that drone fly had fixed for free.

I just placed my order with B&H. Never dealt with them. Good to hear their customer service get mentioned.

skypup71 said:
Ksc said:

I just placed my order with B&H. Never dealt with them. Good to hear their customer service get mentioned.

B&H has a good 30 day? return policy. However…..you better make dam sure you return everything the same way as you got it. Don't throw out any of the packaging. They are not like Costco, if you thru out some of the packaging its not a big deal

They do have an easy return process but you do need all your original packaging. The only reason I picked B&H over amazon was because they are an authorised reseller and I was hoping for good after sales support if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dji contacted me to send my P2 in for them to take a look at it since Dronefly has decided to not help me. We'll see what they say once they receive my P2.

Austo87 said:

Couple of questions; did you ever make a single flight on your P2 before sending it back to DF?
How did you determine the motors were bad-or how did they?
What is your experience with R/C equipment/quad-copters?

When you had problems initially-did you call DF, or post here to see if anyone could help you before you had to send it back?
And-what happened to the replacement?
Take me through what you did, and what the aircraft did........I'm trying to help-nothing more.

Yes I had made a flight with the P2 but upon doing a preflight for my 2nd flight (on a separate date) I noticed two motors were not spinning as fast as the other, so thats why I contacted their tech support.

I did not determine whether the motors were bad that was DroneFly- they diagnosed that two motors were "bad." They informed me that they replaced the Tx (with one that doesn't even have a USB port) and did that under warranty, so no charge to me, they replaced two motors and DID charge me for those.

My experience with muti-rotors is slim to none. This is my first, but I watched & studied and read other peoples flight experiences and user manual to know what this thing should do, and what it shouldn't do.

When I got the P2 I hooked it up to the DJI app to make sure all Firmware was up to date (for my 2nd flight)- it ran through its update cycle and just as it was about to complete it prompted me that it failed and that I should power cycle the P2. Since that time I couldn't get the DJI app to recognize the P2, both on my Mac and also on a PC desktop. After I received my P2 back from Dronefly I still couldn't get either computer to recognize the P2.

As of right now I have been in contact with DJI who asked me to send in my original one I ordered from DroneFly so they can inspect it. I ordered a 2nd one from B8H and have had no issues, for the most part. It connects to my Mac like it should and everything operates normally and everything is up to date. I've had some issues when I installed the gimbal and flew around. The P2 seemed like it didn't have enough power to lift the extra weight (Yes batteries were fully charged on both GoPro and P2). I am going to the local Hobby store to see about getting some balanced props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers