DJI's Remote Identification Proposal

You people
Relax...you think your drone is the only database they have on you...look outside the box
Your daily cell phone you carry everywhere you go and talk on...your finger prints to turn off your screen saver...location are tracked daily..your front face camera on your phone spying on you.
Now reports of smart tv's in your home spying on you..list goes on
Technology is here and it's only going to improve

Reactions: dgd3
In my opinion this is an unwarranted slippery slope argument. Just because the FAA has introduced some regulation on the use of UAVs and that tracking technology exists, it does not follow that the events that you describe will happen. Even your trucking example is not a reasonable comparison, since it represents a private company regulating the actions of its employees rather than a government attempt to regulate private citizens.

If it is a slippery slope argument, then why bother going there to begin with?

Personally, DJI can and likely will benefit from data mining of our flights. If they want to sell the flights to local governments for profit over violations - under the guise of safety or security - you don't think they won't? I can just see my local supervisor's rubbing their greedy hands together over that one.

I'm really annoyed with all the tracking my Samsung phone does of me too. "I see you are at a restaurant. Could you write a review, and take some photos to share while there? Menu prices?" Really?! How about "Butt out Google, Yelp, Samsung, and the other 18 apps" now using my cellphone's camera too! So Google can profit off my data mining and tracking me around, while it will cost me $$$ via my ISP (Who now is also now selling my web and cellphone data per last' weeks congressional order.) in my costly monthly data plan. All expectations of your privacy via tracking are now sold for profit with zero return to your pocket - and it may cost you too.

Time to go build my own drone before it's too late. Know any good books on the subject?

Reactions: The Ghost and JWH
You people
Relax...you think your drone is the only database they have on you...look outside the box
Your daily cell phone you carry everywhere you go and talk on...your finger prints to turn off your screen saver...location are tracked daily..your front face camera on your phone spying on you.
Now reports of smart tv's in your home spying on you..list goes on
Technology is here and it's only going to improve

That is exactly my point. Government does NOTHING effectively nor in moderation. Sadly, the drone world is probably heading down the same road.

The incompetent government can't keep records secure either. I am in the list of former government employees who had a security clearance. My (and my family's) information was released to the Chinese by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. The purpose still remains to be seen. My passport information was SOLD by State Department Employees. They are in jail, but the damage to me is already done. All of the above allowed the identity thieves to get into my accounts and hit me for $700 per day until I caught it.

I am STRONGLY opposed to anymore government involvement in my life under the guise of "safety". As mentioned by others, I suspect that DJI and the other drone makers are interested in selling the information to the government. It would be another revenue stream.

Reactions: jcknows0 and GMack
If it is a slippery slope argument, then why bother going there to begin with?

Personally, DJI can and likely will benefit from data mining of our flights. If they want to sell the flights to local governments for profit over violations - under the guise of safety or security - you don't think they won't? I can just see my local supervisor's rubbing their greedy hands together over that one.

I'm really annoyed with all the tracking my Samsung phone does of me too. "I see you are at a restaurant. Could you write a review, and take some photos to share while there? Menu prices?" Really?! How about "Butt out Google, Yelp, Samsung, and the other 18 apps" now using my cellphone's camera too! So Google can profit off my data mining and tracking me around, while it will cost me $$$ via my ISP (Who now is also now selling my web and cellphone data per last' weeks congressional order.) in my costly monthly data plan. All expectations of your privacy via tracking are now sold for profit with zero return to your pocket - and it may cost you too.

Time to go build my own drone before it's too late. Know any good books on the subject?

Why go where to begin with? Are you arguing for no regulation, or just annoyed that DJI has your flight data? As you point out, Google and Co. have lots of your data, but there is no evidence that they are selling it to the government. If they do then even more people will switch to iPhones. If DJI starts selling data, to other companies or government, then it will damage their brand and hurt their business.

Those who engage in illegal activities with drones may want to know that they are being put on notice. DJI proposes a remote, "license plate-type system" which is being viewed as a balanced approach based on rising problems associated with drones. Is this an extreme reaction?

FAA_EASA.png
Just Fly Legal- No reason to go beyond without exemption. What is the matter with obeying laws and regulations?? Personally I'd like to see some fines - Air space can be a dangerous place. Flying far and too high without exemptions will just mess things up for the rest of us!!!

That is exactly my point. Government does NOTHING effectively nor in moderation. Sadly, the drone world is probably heading down the same road.

The incompetent government can't keep records secure either. I am in the list of former government employees who had a security clearance. My (and my family's) information was released to the Chinese by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. The purpose still remains to be seen. My passport information was SOLD by State Department Employees. They are in jail, but the damage to me is already done. All of the above allowed the identity thieves to get into my accounts and hit me for $700 per day until I caught it.

I am STRONGLY opposed to anymore government involvement in my life under the guise of "safety". As mentioned by others, I suspect that DJI and the other drone makers are interested in selling the information to the government. It would be another revenue stream.
Spot on

its almost scary....not many years ago people controlled machines, now for example cars have traction control, abs, stability control, lane drift warnings, some apply brakes without input from the driver and probably more things that make us " dumb". i have more years behind me than i have ahead of me......i hope i dont get to see the demise.
As to the years, me too. As to the back up systems being added to cars over the last few years, I'd trust most of them much more than I trust the driver that I see behind me texting madly away with a look in their eyes that says "the lights are on, but nobody's home"...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj