DJI's new restricted areas are arbitrary.

Yes, I heard/read reference to a inbuilt barometer, but the implication is that the height is calculated at AGL (at ground level). It wouldn't be much help if it's measured AMSL since 394ft AMSL could be underground :) but then to calculate the MSL height of the take-off point would mean it has to use GPS for that part, doesn't it?

And does it auto adjust for the variations in atmospheric pressure or does it stick to the 1013.25 standard? If it sticks to the standard then variations in pressure means it could be out by 30ft per millibar (if I remember my groundschool correctly)

Drone Camera Films said:
Yes, I heard/read reference to a inbuilt barometer, but the implication is that the height is calculated at AGL (at ground level). It wouldn't be much help if it's measured AMSL since 394ft AMSL could be underground :) but then to calculate the MSL height of the take-off point would mean it has to use GPS for that part, doesn't it?

And does it auto adjust for the variations in atmospheric pressure or does it stick to the 1013.25 standard? If it sticks to the standard then variations in pressure means it could be out by 30ft per millibar (if I remember my groundschool correctly)

The P2 only cares about relative height (AGL) except where the restrictions are concerned where it needs actual height (MSL). It cannot make a calibrated barometric reading of altitude MSL which is why it uses the GPS despite its lack of precision. Maybe it might incorporate standard pressure and average it against GPS.

Today, DJI re posted the version 2.0 firmware as an option on their website. Who knows how long it will last.

Well as there was no "No Fly Zone" information available for where I live I took it upon myself to create my own and guess where I live...? Just inside the outer range.

piqzeMQ.jpg

In fact my car park is the boundary...!

Being right at the edge means that you are limited to 400 feet at that point with the max altitude lowering as you move towards the airport. Fly to the west just outside the green area and your altitude is unlimited. Of course, being almost on the extended centerline of the runway you might want to stay lower rather than higher. The no fly / no start area is that red circle.

Harlequin said:
Well as there was no "No Fly Zone" information available for where I live I took it upon myself to create my own and guess where I live...? Just inside the outer range.

piqzeMQ.jpg

In fact my car park is the boundary...!

This is a great example of where DJI's restrictions work exactly as they should. You are right on the approach/departure path. You can still fly there but you are "under the cone" meaning you can fly up to a certain height. And Tenerife just happens to be the site of the deadliest aviation incident in history. So for all the arbitrary selections and poor communications DJI has made with respect to flight restrictions, as a very frequent flyer, I am glad this exists in many places where it does.

I knew I was on the approach path so decided to do my own research and the composite image you see is a result of my own research.

However, I have a friend who is a pilot and flies into TFS regularly so I'm going to ask him also.

In addition, I don't know if this will actually work and I have no way of gauging it with the FC40 but I limited the height to 100 Metres (328 feet) and will test with a straight up and RTB flight one day to see but I'm personally happy with 30-50 metres to be honest.

I thought it was odd, the only places listed in the Dallas area are Meacham and DFW, and both have International in the name. Left out is Love Field, which is an airport that airlines actually fly to (Meacham mainly tends to be cargo and flight schools). There are a few others around as big as Meacham (Addison most prominently) that didn't make the list either. Only the one with "International" in the name made the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to, and was ready to, buy a p3 advanced. It is a big price jump from my hubsan h501s, especially with an extra battery and carrying case. Only very recently did I find out about the airspace restrictions. I don't care how DJI classifies it. The only thing that counts is the FAA restrictions. I agree that Class B and Class C airspace should be free from drones as does the FAA. However, Class D airspace can be used. I live within a 1.5 radius of a Class D airport. DJI has this listed as restricted which means I would not be able to start my drone in front of my house. Most of what I want to video is within the 5 mile radius. Right now, all I have to do is call the airport, tell them that I am flying away from the airport and stay at or under 400 feet. Now, if that is good enough for the FAA, why isn't it good enough for DJI. I really want to buy this drone but this problem is a deal breaker. Many people don't realized just how many Class D airports there are out there but will soon find out when they run into this DJI problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31