DJI's new Matrice 100 drone avoids obstacles

Reaction score
I found this article from Gizmag exciting!!!

"Getting to grips with piloting a drone can involve a steep and expensive learning curve. How these vehicles can be made to avoid crashing into stuff is a question that has plagued the technology from the outset. But the world's largest drone maker DJI says it has now developed a solution. Simply called Guidance, its obstacle avoidance system integrates with its new developer-focused Matrice 100 quadcopter and promises to make busted rotor-blades a thing of the past."​

Here is the rest of the story: http://www.gizmag.com/dji-launches-developer-focused-matrice-100-drone/37933/

It's not really going to be practical for aerial photography. It's more a developmental tool and I'd say it will be used for mapping more than anything else.

Why would you need obstacle avoidance for mapping? Aren't you flying well above fences, buildings and trees when mapping?

Getting up close to a structure like christ the redeemer would be perfect.
Don't think they used it but it would be ideal for plotting the shots and not rely on trying to do it manually
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and jlo
It's not really an aerial photography platform, just look at the way the legs are set. Plus it carries the inspire camera, why would you want that for the price tag of over 5k when you can do it with an inspire or even a p3?

I was just interested in the fact that the guidance system is being sold separately. If so, it wouldn't be hard at all to offer such a system to existing drones like the P3 down the road.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I reckon it's more of a beta platform for testing components they may introduce into future consumer drones

I reckon it's more of a beta platform for testing components they may introduce into future consumer drones

Correct is more of a development / commercial platform.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic